User Reviews for Virtussin A/C

Virtussin A/C has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 7 ratings on Drugs.com. 29% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 43% reported a negative experience.

Cough
4.9

Me · Taken for less than 1 month · October 27, 2019

For Cough "I was given this for a persistent cough that I've had for about a week and a half now. My whole body hurts. My heads going to explode. My throat is ripped to shreds and I havent slept well at all. I had a cough like this a couple years ago and I remember my doc giving me a codeine cough syrup and it was seriously a miracle in a bottle. I was so excited to get this and was looking forward to sleeping. This is not the same. It has made zero difference. I am still consistently waking up coughing 3 days later. I'm reaching my breaking point."

Reii · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · September 21, 2019

For Cough "I used to use promethazine but my ENT will only prescribe Robatussin or Virtussin whenever I catch a sinus infection. It’s been a huge relief to help me sleep at night but still allows small coughs to slip through here and there. However it’s much better than those major coughs where you’re just left breathless."

matt · Taken for less than 1 month · October 16, 2018

For Cough "I was told to take 5 ml by mouth 3x/day. I was concerned about the codeine, but it seems to have no effect due to the small amount of it in it (class V opioid liquid, so pretty safe with prescribed use). I was given a 7 day supply (105 mL), and it seems to help a bit, but not enough. I would recommend an OTC cough syrup with a nyquill or zquil"

Anonymous · September 15, 2020

For Cough "Virtussin A/C helped with the mucus drainage from my nose but not with my throat only made my throat feel worse. Every time I took some it made me sleep and then each time I woke up feeling horrible than I did the first times."

JackieRodriguez44 · May 25, 2021

For Cough "I was recently prescribed this medication to help with symptoms from an upper respiratory virus. Whenever I would go to the doctor for a bad cough, they would typically give me codeine and promethazine cough syrup for nighttime and that always worked wonderfully. This medication did not do anything for me. To me the active ingredients are contradictory, you have one ingredient that loosens up mucus so you can cough it up, and another ingredient for discomfort, quiet your cough and to help you sleep. If anything the only thing this medicine did for me was loosen up the mucus causing me to cough even more. I was up ALL night hacking. Every time I inhaled I could hear fluid in my chest and feel the sensation to cough. It did absolutely nothing to help me sleep, it actually did the opposite for me and made me feel wired. I ended up having to take my Tylenol cold and flu nighttime cough syrup after 2 hours of nonstop coughing."

Theresa147 · Taken for less than 1 month · December 20, 2018

For Cough "After coughing and not sleeping for almost 3 weeks, and trying other meds, this was the only med to work for me. I highly recommend."

akenzie10 · Taken for less than 1 month · February 22, 2017

For Cough "No better than over the counter cough syrup..."