User Reviews for Catapres

Learn more about Catapres.

Tourette's Syndrome 2 reviews 12 medications

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal 2 reviews 2 medications

4.5
Summary of Catapres reviews 45 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Catapres

For Tourette's Syndrome "I was first diagnosed with tourette's syndrome (a lot of neck and facial twitching and some humming noises) when I was 14, when I was 18 who put me on Catapres and it was excellent! I only needed one pill a day at first, but then as I went off to college and law school and was under more stress and needed to increase to 2. I take them at night and it helps me fall asleep. I've found that not only will it last till my next dose, sometimes (If i'm having issues refilling my prescription) I can go up to 3 days without tics. I tried Clonidine, but for it wasn't as effective. If someone knows why i'm interested to know."

Anonymous August 25, 2016

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated "My daughter takes it to help sleep she's 7 years old take concerta for adhd she's been on 2mg colonaden for 2 years she complained her stomach hurts is it the adhd meds or the calonaden"

Brunno133 April 22, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal "I've found clonidine does help very much with physical symptoms of opiate w/d.But many Dr's dont want to give more than a few pills at the lowest dose. Which wasnt any help at all. Its unfortunate that I ended up failing cuz I couldn't find Dr. to "trust" & understand I could handle a short term prescription- which regrettably led me to a methadone pgrm. Now I know better I know what I'll need once I finish tapering off the meth. Only thing is I don't hear anyone speak about side effects of stopping the clonidine tho. I gave it a 7 because I always get an uptick in my BP & heartrate. Best to be very careful & use for shortest time possible."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

For Anxiety "Was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 (Mixed Episodes w/ Psychotic Features) as well as Unspecified anxiety disorder. My anxiety gets so bad to the point it makes me vomit. I took 1mg in the morning and 1 mg at night. It made me extremely sleepy and fatigued to the point I couldn't function. I work and am in college full time so I couldn't handle that at all. Would not recommend this medication."

AustinRev (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Took clonidine for insomnia (only drug at the time). Proved completely ineffective and caused lightheadedness and dizziness."

Brian L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal "I went to a detox facility for heroin a addiction. I never heard of clonidine being used to assist with withdrawal symptoms. It was a life saver I was actually able to be tolerate the suboxone taper with the clonidine I am no longer dependent on ANYTHING! I never thought it was possible"

Anonymous November 15, 2015

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal "I was recently diagnosed with endocarditis a deadly heart and blood infection due to being an IV heroin user. I needed to be on IV antibiotics for 4 weeks but the fear of WDs kept me from staying in the hospital since the docs wanted me to go cold turkey. Finally thanks to the dedication of my PCP she was able to coordinate with a medical hospital to detox me and give me the IV therapy that I needed then put me on suboxone to continue treating my addiction. But in order to take the sub I had to be heroin free for at least 2 days. I was panicked about how bad the WDs would be. But the addictonologist I worked with prescribed the clonidine (a patch and up to 3 doses orally a day) and I have to say it was a godsend. It got me through it."

GretchenBehr October 22, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Hyperhidrosis "Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy ETS surgery at T2 to treat severe palmar and facial sweating has been very effective, with about a 90% reduction of hand sweat, and 100% reduction in facial sweating. However, there is a caveat, sweating in other parts of my body increased following the procedure. Also, compensatory sweating on my face and chest (below the nipples) becomes extreme when eating spicy or tart foods. The Catapres substantially decreases this compensatory sweating."

tortoise31415 October 19, 2015

For Hypertensive Emergency "Clonodine has saved me more times than I care to remember from opiate to benzo withdrawal. I'll never understand why it isn't prescribed more often and why on earth benzodiazepines are given out so carelessly given they are nearly impossible to get off of after years of use and seizures-death are possible if quitting too suddenly. You can also experience withdrawal symptoms from benzodiazepines for up to three years. Rant over...."

SSRI'd October 4, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal "This made me so sick I had 10 of the side effects it didn't help at all worse meds ever. I taper off myself meds where worse then withdrawal."

Zombies August 19, 2015

For Hypertensive Emergency "I was given 0.2 mg of clonidine after having a hypertensive crises due to an interaction between a MAOI and another antidepressant. The first dose of clonidine (0.2) brought my blood pressure from 208/163 to around 140/110, at which point I was ready to head to the ER, where I got other meds. A few days later I had another crisis, but this one not as bad as the first: 173/140. The scary thing about the second crisis was that it took a total of 0.3 mg of clonidine to get my blood pressure to go down even a little. But overall, thank god for the clonidine! Maybe woulda had a stroke or something without it. My skin was all purple and the whites of my eyes were completely bright red, so I think the blood was trying to get out somehow."

brokenmind (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

For Opiate Withdrawal "I been on norco everyday for 10 years, was on 10-12 pills per day for chronic pain. Without clonidine I would be hurting like hell. I went to detox at the hospital & left after 14 hours, they wanted me on Suboxone, which is good but its just another high to kick after, been there done that, I don't need a migraine headache as well. Suboxone causes headaches & Suboxone is hell to get off. Best bet is to stick with clonidine pills. 1st day 01mg x5 2nd day x4 3rd x3 4th x2 5th x1, your 6th day can be 1, or none, you decide. The only withdrawal symptoms I have from norco is minor diarrhea, minor pain in stomach, no eating for days, hard to get to sleep but its possible...and day 1 i had depression, but I'm over it now....LIFE SAVER"

HG420 June 6, 2015

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal "Clonidine is wonderful for me. I've been using heroin, 1.5 g's a day for several years. The clonidine combined with my lorazepam made the withdrawal sickness almost non existent. Best part is: you can actually get some sleep. Stay strong."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Works great for easing withdrawl symptoms of just about anything. But did not work for my anxiety as it gave me fairly awful side effects, (excessive sweating and horrible nightmares) and I don't often experience any side effects on any medicine. I've since had my doc look elsewhere."

MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2014

For Anxiety "I have severe anxiety and had horrible side effects from benzodiazepines. This medication has been very helpful. I am taking 0.2 mg. twice daily. Started with 0.1 mg. I recommend slowly increasing your dosage because it tends to make you drowsy until you get used to it."

kbk127 October 11, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal "I'm tapering down from 100-200mg of hydrocodone per day to 20mg per day. Also, quit 20mg of Dilaudid per day. The first couple of days were hell. I finally called my doctor and told him what was going on. He prescribed me the Clonidine patch. It has helped me tremendously! The only side effect I have had is a little dizziness when I get up too fast. But I feel great and am on day 4 and down to 20mg of hydros and still feel good! Like I never started them. By the way, I have been on them for 4 years through pain management for severe diabetic neuropathy. I highly recommend this product."

Jules0411 (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2014

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Perimenopausal Symptoms "I take 0.1mg transdermal patch. I found the patch was/is much more effective than oral route (side effects less noticeable - dry mouth, in ability to focus well). I prepped my skin for the patch by showering, then cleaning site with alcohol. Once dry, I applied the patch. There is a temporary (1 wk) "lightening of color" at the site when the patch is removed. I've found that leaving the old patch on for 24 hours, after placing the new one, seems to give better medicinal coverage. ALL hot flashes GONE!"

JamersRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2014

For Opiate Withdrawal "After having Catapres given to me at a detox I cannot imagine detoxing without it. Whether detoxing cold turkey or through tapering I would recommend Catapres for anyone who's going through opiate withdrawal."

cambull (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2014

188 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Was prescribed this in conjunction with stimulant meds for ADHD but have found this really works well to relieve NAUSEA caused by ANXIETY. However as this is primarily a Blood Pressure Medication, it can make you dizzy if you take too much. I have found it the best of any medication to treat the nausea and upset stomach Generalised Anxiety produces. Highly Recommended With Caution!"

Flykate1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Withdrawal "Clonidine (Catapres) works great for the hypertension, cold and hot sweats/flashes, headache and overall agitation when undergoing ethanol/alcohol withdrawals. 0.1mg 3 times daily in conjuction with a benzodiazepine like chlordiazepoxide (Librium) or diazepam (Valium) may be needed depending on alcohol intake or the degree of withdrawal symptoms. Remember always be honest with your M.D. put pride aside because most likely it isn't anything he/she hasn't heard before."

Bullseye barfly December 13, 2013

For Benzodiazepine Withdrawal "I used Catapres to get off 2mg Xanax 3 times a day and it worked very well. I didn't feel 100% but felt about 90%. It lasted about 7 days and the withdrawal was done."

KK80 November 28, 2013

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Hypertensive Emergency "All I can say is THANK GOD for clonidine (Catapres). I'm just taking the pill form .2mg, and within 20-30 minutes my BP goes from about 172/105 to around 115-125/75-80. Only side effects I get are a little bit of dry mouth and some drowsiness. That beats the heck out of a stroke or MI, imo. BTW, I'm 6'2" and about 190. First med the doctors have found that actually WORK without nasty side effects. I hope your results with it are as positive as mine. Ciao."

NeuralGear (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I was prescribed this medication along with Valium, Halcion and Motrin to ease withdrawal symptoms of heroin addiction. It did help while using it but my situation needed other therapy (methadone maintenance) to overcome my addiction. I do know several people who did benefit with the use of Catapres alone in quitting heroin addiction."

ivana1227 (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2013

For Insomnia, Stimulant-Associated "The first few days, 0.3mg did put me to sleep but I had to wake up and take another dose four hours later. The orthostatic hypotension was so bad, the next morning I felt like I was dragging and fatigued much easier. Working out was impossible!"

Chic chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2013

For Opiate Withdrawal "Clonidine made all the difference in the world in my recovery. It helped with my restless leg, cravings, sweating. I took it with Valium. It makes you feel like you're walking through mud but it beats the alternative!! It's very inexpensive. It was a life saver for me."

Kicked a 6 year habit (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2013

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate