User Reviews for Clobazam to treat Epilepsy

Also known as: Onfi, Sympazan

Clobazam has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 16 ratings for the treatment of Epilepsy. 63% of those users who reviewed Clobazam reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Clobazam Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 192 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Reviews for Clobazam

Toxic Poppy March 2, 2021

“Neuro team changed me from Keppra & Diazepam to Lamotrigine & Clobazam for two reasons. Keppra caused vile stomach pain, loss of appetite & extreme weight loss, & my prescribers just really weren't happy with me being on long term Diazepam- period. It was decided that the combination of Lamotrigine & Clobazam would be effective for my epilepsy (traumatic brain injury acquired) & anxiety, & it would have the added benefit of helping with insomnia. I wasn't convinced that it would do the job TBH, but after a short time I did start to feel better, & my only complaint is that I forget a lot of things... I've persisted with this combo (in part because of the difficulties covid19 has caused in seeing a doctor/specialist over the last year ) & it has been a good move! I'm still ridiculously forgetful, but I can live with that if my epilepsy & anxiety are controlled, & the only weight gain I've experienced is the weight I lost while suffering on the darned Keppra!”

Sunshine · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2021

“Our toddler age 3 was recently put on Clobazam for Pediatric Seizures. It turned out sweet little girl into an angry ball of fury and mean behavior. My husband and I are horrified by how it affects her. We give at night because it drugs her up so much. Initially it causes hyperactivity and restlessness then 2 hrs later she's a zombie. I do not recommend this for toddlers or children.”

Zion · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 20, 2020

“I was put on clobazam. I don’t know why my doctor kept telling me I needed to take it. It has made me loose words and my foreign languages are not as easy to remember. It also makes my walking more difficult. I do not have Lenox Gestalt syndrome and have not seen this drug help me. When I first started on it, it was $700 per month. When it came out under the name clobazam and the pill looked the same the price drastically decreased.”

Sailor_Jupiter March 29, 2020

“After trying several drugs with bad side effects (Keppra, Vimpat, and Topamax), my doctor chose Clobazam. He thought Clobazam would also help with anxiety, since it's a part of the benzodiazepine family. It does nothing for either - I once took a slightly higher dose than I normally take for a medical appointment I was nervous about & it didn't help with the anxiety at all! I'm also still having seizures but was told there's no other drug I can take since the others had bad side effects or don't work at all (I was on the highest dose of Keppra). I also take Lamotrigine for seizures so I guess I'll have to rely on that to relieve the seizures. The Clobazam pills also make me have a gross taste in my mouth after I swallow them; the pharmacist said there is no other form of Clobazam available - so I'm stuck with having to take that, along with the Lamotrigine. Clobazam is useless. I read several reviews saying that they don't work & I can see why - because I'm having the same problem.”

Dave · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 26, 2020

“For my epilepsy I was on Keppra and Lamictal a number of years ago and was 95% steady with no side effects. My last consultant tried me on tons of other meds and combinations. clobazam being one which nearly drove me crazy. Had a lot of seizures and he decided to put me back on the Lamictal and Keppra only at a much higher dose. I had been in hospital and the Clobazam was given but was only meant to be temporary, he decided to keep me on it along with the Keppra and Lamictal but nearly every side effect one can get from Clobazam I have, and I have a lot of seizures. I want to come off the Clobazam but my new Consultant isn't listening for some reason.”

Marcus M. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 23, 2019

“So far I've had a good experience using Onfi. I am using it combined with Trileptal. About 90% of my seizures happen during my sleep. So I take 10mg before bedtime. I used to have 1-2 seizures a month, it's been over 6 months since my last one. I've tried almost every anti epilepsy drug out there. Phenobarbital, Keppra, Topamax, zonegran. None seemed to work. Side effects are minimal. When I first took it, it would make me really sleepy (which isn't bad since I only take it at bedtime). Aside from that I haven't noticed any other side effects.”

bc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2020

“This clobazam is the only medication that I have been on that has truly had long term effect on my seizures. I have temporal lobe absence seizures, that have not been controlled by a long list of the anti-epileptic drugs.”

sarah's mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2017

“My daughter is 21 and has had intractable epilepsy since age 7. Onfi is the first AED that has controlled her seizures. She has been 4 months seizure free since starting to take 10mg Onfi twice a day.”

JenTheEpileptic · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2018

“My Dr added Onfi to my regimen to help control my seizures which are mostly triggered by my anxiety. I was originally taking Lamictal and having seizures once every 8-10 weeks then he switched me to Trileptal where for a while I was having them 2-3 a day for almost 3 months. Then they slowed down and then they began to be triggered by anxiety and I was taking Xanax as needed. So he decided to switch me to Onfi at night instead to control my anxiety on a time released basis. After 3 weeks, not only was I still having seizures but I also slipped into a deep depression. I expected to be unstable for a short period of time, but after about a week and a half I began having severe depression and nightmares and then began having really dark thoughts. I am bipolar and have been hospitalized years ago so I had to be taken off of the medication immediately.”

Equilibrium22x · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2017

“This is a very good benzo for anxiety relief. It is the only one I think that do not cause sedation and makes me function in my day with a very smooth relaxation. I only take 5 mg a day and with that small dose works fine with me, it gives me a mellow and serene anxiety free. Sometimes I take the other half before sleep but just when I really need it. Clobazam (Frisium here in Mexico) is a very underrated benzo, I think should be prescribed more often. I find it's strange it is hardly known and not so popular.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2018

“The first two weeks you slept constantly but after that your body got used to it and it immediately stop the myclonics it was a good tool for intractable epilepsy child. Every single person that has epilepsy is different so this might work for you it may not work for you but it's an option.”

Nicky Cotton · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 21, 2019

“Clobazam (10 mg's nightly) just made me easily confrontational and agitated, but mainly as someone mentioned they felt 'opiatey' plus contributed to feel even weaker, lethargic with terrible constipation. Hoping to come off them ASAP because as a recovering addict with 'opiate induced Epilepsy' have to be careful and avoid Benzos or anything related etc. 1000 MG's of Keppra will be hopefully all I need without Frisium/Clobezam.”

Stac · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2020

“This medication worked wonders for me. Controlled my seizures with Lamotrigine. However the Clobazam made me gain a TON of weight in a short period of time. I gained around 40 pounds (about 8 months). As soon as Zonisamide was discontinued. I was orginally just on Lamotrigine, no weight gain. As soon as I started Clobazam the weight gained happened.”

Tom February 14, 2019

“Onfi in combination with Vimpat has stopped by son’s seizures for almost 5 years now. He has gone from 10-20 seizures a year to none in 5 years.”

loulee123 February 11, 2020

“Using brand name Onfi works very well controlling my seizures. It's upsetting my insurance company took it off their formulary for 2020.”

J · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2019

“I was thinking too much. But I did love the way it feel”

Medreview · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 14, 2018

“It does not work as well as others I tried. Maybe 20mg a day is too small a dose.”

Learn more about Epilepsy