User Reviews for Chloral hydrate

8.1
Sedation

Reviews for Chloral hydrate

JJ May 17, 2020

For Insomnia: “Chloral hydrate, I am a female 140 pounds 1000 mg ( if converted) into the syrup. I was frustrated I did not get a wink of sleep. I've tried everything and the insomnia is so real its maddening. I get hallucination because I don't sleep. I don't want to blame the drug so much as my brain but I did have high hopes.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2020

For Insomnia: “I took this medication back in 2012 when I had severe insomnia. At that point, Restoril and Ambien together had failed and so did Doxepin. I took a 250mg dose before bedtime and always slept perfectly. I did dislike the bitter taste from the syrup but putting it in sweet tea made a difference. I took it until it was discontinued in the spring of 2013. Now I sleep just as fine with Lunesta.”

colindanny March 12, 2016

For Insomnia: “This medication is still FDA approved as a medicine, so although maybe no longer manufactured, can be prescribed and compounded at a compounding pharmacy. ”

L J January 30, 2013

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “I am the primary caregiver for my son who has a brain injury. He has severe insomnia and chloral hydrate syrup and more recently chloral hydrate gelcaps (Somnote) have been a blessing! It has been safe and effective for him for many years. I hope and pray the powers that be will reconsider the decision to discontinue manufacturing this medicine. It is our salvation for sleep not only for my son but for the rest of our household.”

Jane Doe544223455444 January 18, 2013

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “Helped with my insomnia 100% until they pulled it off the market. Many thanks to the manufacturer! I had used this medicine for such a long time. I never could sleep before taking this and I still now watch the time go by. ”

KW195912311 January 6, 2013

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “This is the only medication that has worked for me. It is dependable (6Y) for the long term. The FDA had no GOOD reason to "discontinue" this 140 year old safe, effective medication. I have not had a good moment of sleep for the last six+ weeks.”

Anonymous September 2, 2010

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “I am an addict and suffer from anxiety and insomnia. This was the only medicine that is not a benzodiazapine that has worked for me. It allows me to fall asleep - not pass out and wake up feeling rejuvenated. I highly recommend it.”

Anonymous November 10, 2009

For Insomnia: “I have suffered from severe insomnia for half my life. I've tried Ambien (50mg extended release, which is 4x the standard dose) and stayed wide awake all night. Same with Lunesta and everything else, and had terrible headaches and depression from chronic sleep deprivation. Chloral hydrate (3 tsp) gave me my life back! I get 7-8 hours of solid sleep every night and wake up refreshed. My headaches are completely gone, no more body pain, no more anxiety. The only side effect is that it makes me a little gassy, but nothing terrible. I really feel that chloral hydrate has saved my life.”

BevWK May 11, 2012

For Insomnia: “My doctor prescribed the syrup formula to treat my occasional insomnia (1 Tablespoon in a large glass of water). It puts me into a deep sleep in approximately 15 minutes. It is less habit forming than other sleeping medications and I love the fact that it doesn't leave me drowsy in the morning. I have noticed that it does make normal weight loss difficult (despite regular daily exercise and healthy eating), but so far it has not caused weight gain like some sleeping medications tend to do. ”

Radic8 March 18, 2008

Aquachloral Supprettes (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “As an aid to help sleep, my feeling is it's not to be underestimated and is probably better as a suppository than as an oral preparation. By using this route ( i.e.anal ),it by-passes the only side- effect that I've known it to have - which is sneezing !”

Anonymous December 3, 2011

For Insomnia: “I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping in the last year. As a result I'm usually exhausted during the day but can't even take a nap because I simply do not fall asleep. Of course I started out taking Ambien, which has no effect. Then Lunesta, nothing. Ativan, Valium, Klonopin, Thorazine, Seroquel, Remeron and Geodon have not helped a bit. I had very high hopes for chloral hydrate but I think that out of all I've tried it was my biggest disappointment. I guess I'm back to square one now. No side effects, however.”

Debbid44 November 15, 2012

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “Good sleep with minimal side effects. It has been many, many years since I have slept this good. Insurance does not want to pay because there are newer, better medications out there. Not so, for me.”

TayBur2 June 24, 2008

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “Works great at 1000mg. No hangover, solid sleep.”

Jazzy010101 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2012

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “Helped me get to sleep & stay asleep till they pulled it off the market.”

deeds87102 July 14, 2009

For Insomnia: “Works great. I'm only supposed to use it for 7-10 days a month. In combination with my other medicines for sleep it knocks me out in 10 minutes flat.”

cynnergirl August 6, 2009

For Insomnia: “The gas this medicine produces makes sleep comes very quickly and does not leave you groggy in the morning.”

galalleni December 15, 2008

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “Did not work for me - no sedation or drowsiness. No side effects experienced. Dosage 1000mg, Male, Weight 190 lbs (86 kg).”

TheBoorMan September 19, 2011

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Insomnia: “I certainly appreciate the drug interactions listed here. That is something lacking from the other sites I've visited for my needs.”

Patrik February 10, 2009

Somnote (chloral hydrate) for Sedation: “At a dose of 1500mg, I got very little results from this medicine.”