User Reviews for Pylera

Learn more about Pylera.

Pylera Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection.

Reviews for Pylera to treat Helicobacter Pylori Infection

"Picked up a nasty H Pylori strain from an casual blind date, I know I should have gotten to know the person better. Took a while before symptoms showed up. Had severe upset stomach, occasional diarrhea, nausea and slow but steady weight loss. Took a long time and several doctors to diagnose my steadily worsening condition. Tried PrevPak first, seemed to work at first but my infection came back. The new GI then prescribed Pylera after my 3rd endoscopy. Pylera has worked, it's been a year and I am still H Pylera negative. But it's been brutal and a very hard long road back to recovery. Had severe side effects from tetracycline (in Pylera), my skeletal bones seemed to have absorbed it. Am still not completely detoxed, steadily improving."

HPyloriHell August 12, 2016

"Had absolutely no side effects except for darkening of stool. Took pylera for 10 days with a full meal and a glass of water. Slept through all nights like a baby. Will see if pylera was effective in killing the infection."

Helen 2 July 17, 2016

"Day 1-Started with first dose after breakfast. Full meal and 16 ounce glass of water to wash down medicine. Second dose taken six hours later with a full meal at lunch. Also drink 16 ounces of water with medicine. Around 2:30 in the afternoon started to develop a headache. I drink more water to see if that would help. Around 3:30 my headache was much worse and I started developing a stiff neck. Took my third dose at 6 PM with a full meal and 16 ounces of water. 30 minutes later I got really nauseous and threw up four times. I have never thrown up this much in my life. I contacted the pharmacist and she told me to stop the medication immediately. I also contacted my doctor and she told me to stop, as well."

Skauff51 July 13, 2016

"Just to counter all the fear here. On day 8, Zero side effects other than feeling that my gi function is actually feeling better. Pain to take all the pills , omeprazole morning and night before meals, others four times a day after meals containing mostly carbs. And Florastor twice a day, only pro biotic not killed by treatment. Thought perhaps mostly people with bad experiences post, thought some light could be helpful ."

Wantedtobe positive (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"Everyone's differvent but for me personally. 26 year old, 160 pounds, sorta in shape. I felt permanently hung over with a metallic taste in my mouth. Lack of sleep as week really hit me. Try to stay active or entertained. Take time off work if you can. After a while everything feels like a dream"

Jsizzle2828384 June 19, 2016

"I was prescribed pylera after a triple therapy failed, i'm now on my last day of it. The gastritis pain, is slowly going away but still there ( you will have to wait the next 4 weeks for it to heal ). The first 5 days i didn't feel anything different, then day 5 i had terrible headache, anxiety and nausea. day 6 and onward my body adapted and it became less powerful but still pretty crappy, I'm not gonna lie to you, you basically feel hangover for the last 4 days. Drink a lot, force yourself to eat and go out (computer will make headache horrible ). Stay strong brothers, its a pain but this has 90% success rate."

ThomLG (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2016

"Just finished 10 days of Pylera. This is my second treatment in the past few months for h-pylori after it coming back 2 weeks after finishing triple treatment. Well this has to be the worst medicine ive ever been prescribed in my life. I was bloated first few days and looked 6 months pregnant. It got worse.... the symptoms that followed were insomnia, itchiness everywhere especially my nose, anxiety, racing heart, weight gain, mood swings and just a general feeling of not feeling with it, im still bloated after 4 days after ive finished and dont feel great."

PaulaMason72 (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2016

"So far its a day 4 and i wish my doctor would've told me about the side effects so that i could've been more prepared. I hate medication and this got to be the worse medication I've taken. Ive been feeling very loopy here and there, slightly nauseas. Hopefully it works."

Anonymous May 26, 2016

"I just finished 10 day. It was really hard. Tested positive for h.pylori after endoscopy, as well as, gastritis. No ulcers. Pylera really wrecked my stomach. Side effects for me: Metallic taste, nausea, dizziness, acid reflux, lack of appetite, excessive burping, sour stomach, gnawing gut, dark green stools. Recommend asking doctor for anti-nausea meds which helped a bit. Did not eat dairy, took probiotics everyday. Force feed yourself plain meals to help with meds. Also took omeprazole twice a day. Hope it gets better - so far I feel awful!"

Kelles (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

"I'm in day five and it is terrible. I have woke the last two nights with chest pain,side hurt, back pain and numbness in both arms.Went away in about a hour.Have the worst yeast infection of my life. I'm so tired most of the time.When I start to do anything I give out. Will be so glad when I finish. Will let you know how I do."

Cadence May 4, 2016

"First of all if you're on this site- step away from computer! Yes it's good to gather information but get it from a medical professional. Everyone is so different and no one responds the same way so why distress yourself with all the glom and doom scenarios of other people?i Did the regimen and did have 3 days where I felt real bad but after being sick as a dog for 6 wks from actual infection 3 bad days was a piece of cake."

Nlon (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

"Ok, I'm back to share my experience with Pylera. I completed a 10-day dose of 12 pills/day. Glad that I read reviews before begining or else the side effects would've concerned me. From. day 1, I experienced daily nausea even though I ate a small meal with each dose, had a slight headache for about 3 days, my feces turned blackish brown by day 3 & lost its stink! No kidding! I also felt a little off, i.e. a feeling not quite right & a little tired. I drank a lot of water with each dose just as stated. I wont know the results for another 2-3 weeks. In the mean time I am taking Omeprazol 2x daily & a Probiotic."

Marlew (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

"I just stumbled upon this site & gladly so. I recently had an endoscopy performed & the biopsy revealed H. Pylori bacteria. What the heck is that? How did I get it & how long have I had it? Thought I was having liver pain, no gall bladder issues, no a hyatial hernia, or pancreatitus! What I have is this creepy bacteria that has caused erosive ulcers in my stomach & duodenum area along with rings in my esophagus that have caused me to have spasms while swallowing. Then bloating and abdominal cramping began at the latest stage. The GI doc prescribed Pylera & I have now taken 2 doses with 28 more to go! Will let you all know how I do."

Marlew March 23, 2016

"This is my last day & after finished it still had residual side effects (hopefully it will work) "

Abdien February 28, 2016

"I finally got rid of H Pylori after completing Pylera in Dec 2015. This was after 2 courses of other antibiotics combo that failed to eradicate it. Before taking Pylera, I had read other reviews that were scary. I promised myself I would come back and review for others in similar situation. Please make sure you take a really good probiotic(taken at different time) and ask for an anti-nausea medication to offset/lessen the side effects; it will make taking Pylera much more doable."

Asianfemale (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2016

"I'm on day 9. Number one side effect for me has been inability to focus on one thought for more than a few seconds, which has affected my work. It really is a brain fogger! On day 5, the metallic taste/sour mouth was pretty awful all day, but it abated gradually over last few days. If I don't drink a lot of water (20 oz or more) with each dose, my urine is very dark, which is scary, but drinking more water does help. I agree with the comments that you should eat a full meal with each dose, even at bedtime. It is rough doing the schedule and getting in the food, water and pills four times a day. On a few days I had to set an alarm and get back up at midnight or 1 am to take the last dose. Stick with it, power through the 10 days."

H. Pylori Pummeler (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2016

"I finished my 10 days dose of the medication, and nothing changed. I still have the stomach bloated and same old same old intestinal problems as before. Not sure why my doctor gave it to me for 10 days, but it was useless."

Bloated_belly January 19, 2016

"I'm on day 5. This has been hard to go through but I think it's doable so far. For me it was hard to eat a full meal and then take 3 pills consecutively after. It was easier to eat a little, take 1 pill, wait 10-15 min, eat again, take another pill, then wait untill all 3 pills are gone. It was easier on my stomach and increased the amount I ate. As far as symptoms, I've experienced them all. Fruit, apple sauce, Cheerios and veggie sandwiches worked best for me. Get the apple sauce in the little pouches, you can recap them if you get full. I am 18 year old, 5'6", 120 lb female in case that means anything to anyone."

Canileavenow January 10, 2016

"I'm now in day 6 I start every day with an headache - 2 pills of panadol solve that pain, nothing much every things normal, I had suffering from that bacteria all my 20 years pass so I hope that pylera will work for me, I just need to know is smoking okay while I'm taking pylera? and what kind of food that help that medicines to be more effective?"

Omarov December 26, 2015

"Hi. I took pylera one month back. I got the results and it is negative. I am feeling much better than before. This medicine helped me a lot. Please try to take this course completely."

Kumar44. Delaware November 19, 2015

"I took Pylera in 2012. About 5 or 6 days into the meds I had stomach pains so severe I was taken to the ER by family. The pain was in stomach and side - hip area. I was in ER for hours and was given an initial pain killer which was ineffective. The Dr. finally told me - we're going to give you one that is Lindsey Lohan's favorite....that did the trick and I finally felt relief. I have to say the pain I was in was worst that that of child labor as I've experienced both. They told me to stop taking the meds as there could be a connection. I stopped taking and sure enough never had that kind of severe pain again. Since the event 3yrs ago, I have permanent numbness in my hip. Nerve damage is listed as a common side effect."

hkam October 29, 2015

"Day six. Watery stools. Loss of appetite. Shaky. Brain fritz. Sunburn. ( own fault, should have known better) food tastes odd. Tired and have nausea. Hope this works. My insides Sound like two cats fighting in a burlap bag."

Kellog September 17, 2015

"Am now on day four, with absolutely no side effects... guess I'm a fortunate one. I have H. pylori, but have been asymptomatic, so don't know yet if it's working... will have to see how the post-medication test turns out."

Bobaloo6 September 11, 2015

"I felt my body go through a shock and I felt a few side effects which I freaked but it disappear immediately. My advice drink at least 16 ounces of water with your pills and make sure you eat something ...the color of stool changed to a dark metallic color - but I feel better. The medicine is working."

ac49 September 6, 2015

"Was prescribed this after positive ID of h.pylori from endoscopy biopsy. 10 days / 12 pills a day. Not gonna lie it was rough. Side effects included dizziness, upset stomach, nausea for me. Within 10mins of ingestion the effects could be felt. I made sure to eat a full meal to help lessen the effects. Even at bedtime. Sometimes no effects other times strong effects. But got through the 10 days. After taking it still had residual side effects for another 2 days on/off. Then finally on day 3 returned to normal. Need to do the re-test in 1mo so not sure if it worked to kill the bacteria for good. I won't lie I almost stopped taking it in the middle of treatment but kept telling myself this has to be done and I cannot stop!"

TumGERD (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

Page 1 2 3 Next

More about Pylera (bismuth subcitrate potassium / metronidazole / tetracycline)

Professional resources