User Reviews for Astelin to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Astelin Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 346 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Astelin

""Year-round congestion, sneezing, runny nose, and sinus infections lead my complaints. I began Azelastine per my ENT's strong suggestion, and am now in my tenth month of use and feel virtually allergy-free. Most surprising for me has been the dramatically reduced congestion, something no antihistamine has ever done for me. And no side effects for me--a first among the most effective allergy meds I've tried--and no steroid worries. Actually makes me a bit worse for 5-10 minutes right after spraying, then rapidly better and hitting full stride for hours 2 - 10, sometimes longer. Mildly bitter taste until I improved my spray technique. I have rarely thanked a doctor so sincerely for recommending a med. I'll likely be using this spray and technique (1 spray/side, twice daily) every day for many years to come. How nice to breathe fresh air again, without drowsiness.""

Howe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2018

"As a Pharmacist I tried everything I knew for chronic postnatal drip and dry (usually non productive)cough. No oral Meds and/or steroidal products rendered relief. I tried everything from older tried and true decongestant and antihistamine meds to the newer generation antihistamines and steroidal sprays. Antigen skin testing from my Allergist -negative. No itchy eyes or throat. It appeared to be non allergic (vasomotor rhinitis) that is often misdiagnosed by GP’s but common in millions of patients in the U.S. The result was immediate. 2 sprays in each nostril 2 x daily was like a miracle cure. Educate yourself about this condition that exhibits itself in a similar fashion to allergic rhinitis but is treated completely differently due to a completely different mechanism . You may want to see an allergist for the antigen skin tests like I did to rule out allergic rhinitis. Hope this helps. I have absolutely no financial stake in this product."

Rx boy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2018

"I had misdiagnosed Pneumonia that led to chronic coughing and an eventual bleeding stroke. I spent 5 months in the hospital. I had a cough so bad I could clear a room. Finally an orderly suggested Astelin. I take Flonaise and Zyrtec already but within a week the cough, rattle and pain were gone. It was a "life saver!""

Allie Mama (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2018

"Astelin has been a miracle drug for me. After months of severe post nasal drip resulting in a constant sore, irritated throat, this medication provided almost immediate relief. Flonase Zyrtec, and nasal rinses did nothing to resolve my symptoms. I'm so thankful to the nurse practitioner who prescribed this for me."

K8tey (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

"Azelastine nasal spray has finally ended the stuffy nose and coughing that I've been dealing with forever. Taste isn't an issue if used correctly. It's much easier to wake up in the mornings without the never ending drowsiness that comes with some of the other antihistamines."

JZeman April 15, 2017

"My Asthma and Allergist, prescribed this for me when continued use of Flonase was giving me nose bleeds. I took it the next day and never have again. I could not get the taste out of my mouth for half an hour no matter I ate or drank to get it to go away. I have a bad cold right now and the Flonase isn't doing very well, I'm considering trying the Astelin again but I don't know if the taste is worth it."

DoornK (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

"I woke up, for several months, with bizarre facial pressure; my sinus membranes "in" my eyes, my maxillaries, etc... felt inflamed and throbbed, subsiding only with the next night's sleep.... I don't think that I had bonafide, bacterial-based sinusitis, since flare ups tended to abate within twenty four hours and seemed to follow strenuous physical exertion (e.g., running) and menstrual cycally driven hormonal fluctuations. I found minimal relief, for these episodes, through saline rinses (which seem to work well for standard congestion) and had already been prescribed other nasal sprays, including fluticasone. 90% reduction in monthly symptom days. 2 bad days per month, max. I've never written a product review."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2015

"I've suffered for years with allergies both seasonal/environmental and chemical. I carried Benadryl and hydrocortisone in my purse for years. I recently had issues with my ight hear with vibration and popping as well as hearing my inhalation through my nose in my ear. I also had awful post nasal drip year round for as long as I could remember. I went to an ENT doc and he prescribed me Astelin. I take one spray in each nostril in the morning and again at bedtime. I've been on it for about a month now and I have never felt better. The hives have decreased, my swollen hands have gone down and my ear is like new! I highly recommend this antihistamine nasal spray. Inquire with your doctor about it!"

Anonymous May 13, 2014

"I have had Restless Legs since I was a teenager. All antihistamines aggravate this condition. Not Astelin, This is a dream come true to take care of my non-allergenic rhinitis, while not exacerbating my Restless Legs. Thank you so much."

billieglozer March 15, 2012

"I was recently prescribed this when I went to the doctor for a SEVERE (migraine-like) sinus headache. It is expensive but totally worth every penny! It works right away - you can feel the congestion/stuffiness breaking up immediately! I take this 2 times per day along with Allegra D-24 hour 1 time a day. I went from having the severe sinus headaches every single day to getting one maybe once per month. I also posted under the Allegra category - that works wonders!"

K_W November 24, 2009

"Ive been using Astelin almost daily for almost 10 years. 2 x each nostril, morning and night. No concern if I miss a day. It is the best! I've been taking antihistamines over 50 years. I will stick with Astelin as long as I can. I usually irrigate my nostrils first by rinsing it with water from my palm in the shower. Then Astelin goes straight into the clean nasal tissue and goes to work. "

techedteacher August 16, 2009

"I have developed a severe allergy problem this year. I've been put on several different antihistamines and Astelin is by far the most effective. Since it is a nasal spray it's instant relief! I'm so glad my doctor put me on this. I can finally breathe again. If you have problems with congestion from allergies I would strongly recommend talking to your doctor about Astelin."

Anonymous August 4, 2009

"I have been on various nasal sprays and antihistamines every spring and fall for years. I kept getting sinus infections, severe sore throats and having problems with my ears. Nothing was very effective until my doctor prescribed Astelin. It has been wonderful! The bitter taste I get if when I sniff too hard is well worth the relief it gives me."

Anonymous June 24, 2008

"Astelin is the only prescription antihistamine nasal spray approved to treat symptoms caused by both seasonal allergens and environmental irritants. Astelin provides relief from bothersome nasal symptoms such as congestion, itchy/runny nose, sneezing and postnasal drip due to seasonal allergens or environmental irritants. Astelin is steroid-free and does not contain pseudoephedrine."

bellafromaustin June 17, 2008

"This spray is a "God Send" for me. It provided immediate relief to my severe case of vasomotor rhinitis. I suffered from severe nose congestion,(so much so I almost could not breath), and post nasal drip which were immediately relieved."

Anonymous May 9, 2008