User Reviews for Adapalene / benzoyl peroxide topical to treat Acne

Also known as: Epiduo, Epiduo Forte

Adapalene / benzoyl peroxide topical has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 820 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 65% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Adapalene/benzoyl peroxide topical Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 326 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Adapalene / benzoyl peroxide topical

xcvbb · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Part 2: I neither would wait three months (with a red face) for epiduo results.bAlso my face built a sensitivity that I now first must try to fix its barrier. My opinon: it works differently on everyone. You must try it out yourself to see if it works. Don’t be afraid to use it see how your face reacts to epiduo, then decide to stop or go on. It is a 50/50 product. It works for a lot of people brilliant and for others like me not very good.”

Benz · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “I’ve been on Epiduo for about a week, I use it along with Doxycycline capsules. My skin has been bright red and super itchy all week, but my acne is entirely flat. It looks like I’ve had a really bad sunburn and after I wash my face it feels like it too. Even though my face is very very red, I can tell this gel is working and I’m super excited to have the possibility of clear skin.”

Jessica · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 17, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “I still get the occasional pimple but it was so much better than what I could have ever dreamed of. I'm still using it now and only have either one or no pimples on my face at a time. Part 2 because I wrote too much I’m so happy with my skin now but it does make it pretty oily. It didn’t sting or make my skin red in the first months and a didn’t purge. At some points I remember thinking it wasn’t working but it is a process and you need to trust it, I’m so happy with my skin now. Remember to take progress pics it’ll make you feel so good. :))”

clearedmerightup! · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 1, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Used Epiduoyears ago after coming off of oral contraceptives. Worked very well and I didn't have to use it for a few years afterwards. Recently, I'm having hormonal breakouts again around my chin and cheekbones, so I got another prescription. Works like a charm! PLEASE NOTE: moisturize first, let the moisturizer completely dry (to avoid the cream being absorbed too rapidly into the skin), and then apply the TINIEST amount to the affected areas and spread it thin. AVOID your eyes or anywhere even near your eyes! DO NOT use it everyday when you first start using it! ONLY use it once a day! Using it more frequently will not improve your results! You have to build a tolerance or your face will burn like fire! If it starts to burn, then give yourself a day or 2 break before trying again. Hope this helps.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “So I have been battling acne for ages, I am currently on lymecycline as well as Epiduo. I'm only about a week into using Epiduo but I am in so much pain I'm thinking of using it less. My face is so red, dry and it burns whenever I put anything on my skin (eg. face wash and moisturizer), not just the treatment. Is this normal? I have no idea, I have used Duac in the passed which actually has more benzoyl peroxide in it so I don't know why my skin is reacting so badly to Epiduo. Anyway, I can't say anything about its effectiveness to treat acne because I haven't been using it long enough. So I'll let you know how it goes.”

Sybil May 3, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “This is my third week of epiduo. All my life I’ve had beautiful skin. Until I turned 28 and had horrible hormonal acne on my cheeks and jawline. The acne is a combination of blackheads, cysts, comedones, white heads and IT IS PAINFUL. My skin is oily too! I just look at my face and want to cry. My doctor prescribed epiduo and Dermaplex soap free face scrub and the first week burnt like anything. My skin felt like it was on fire and I was told to use an SPF moisturizer along with it burnt as soon as I applied anything, the itchiness was irritating too but I pushed through. I’m on my third week and I still have these hard bumps under my skin and whiteheads that seem to come overnight but I’m being patient as I heard that it takes about 2 months to see real results. I want to avoid any oral treatment for my acne as I’m trying to have a baby and meds like accutane are said to cause severe birth defects. I will give an update in a few weeks about the epiduo and the baby. Wish me luck!”

Hayes August 26, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “I’ve been using Epiduo since January 24th, 2020. My advice is stay strong for the first few months. Don’t expect any results for 3-5 months and expect your skin to look horribly worse. Stay strong during that period. After 3-5 months, the face should look horribly red but breakouts should be getting to a minimum. For the next few months, epiduo should be still in use for the redness and scars. This takes 3 months for the redness to be only visible really up close. I would recommend this gel but you must not expect to have clear smooth skin in the first 2 months definitely. If lucky 3-4 months but should make sure to know that 8 months could be a possibility and prepare and trust the process. My skin still isn’t where I want it so I will still be using this to get the scaring fade but compared to a few months ago my skin looks 10x better.”

evensteven · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “This is my second time on Epiduo. The first time, a couple years ago, I was on it for 3 months before I got fed up of my skin purging and continually getting way way worse. I thought 3 months was a long time to still be purging so I just gave up. DO NOT give up! I wish I hadn't, having read many reviews here and elsewhere stating that it may take 4-6 months for purging to end and for skin to clear. I have now decided to give it another go for a FULL 6 MONTHS. I am currently 3 months in and, again, my skin is so much worse than when I started it, constantly dry, red and full of hyperpigmentation. I am so self-conscious of how bad it's got, but I will keep pushing through to mid-April and see whether it delivers. I will update then. Please keep persisting however bad it gets, it has to get bad before it improves!”

Mea1990 August 22, 2014

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Its funny to read how many get "burned and dry/ flaky skin". The first thing my doctor told me was, EASE into it! use a VERY light layer and ONLY at night - not in the morning as well. A pea sized amount is enough. Put it on your finger and dot it around your face and then massage them out. He also told me that if it starts to burn/hurt, STOP using it for a few days. You should NEVER EVER keep using it when your face is in pain, obviously. Plus you need a very good, heavy moisturiser. This stuff is made from peroxide and retinoid, so it will sting a little the first times you use it, but if you use common sense it will go away within weeks. I feel bad that people use it the wrong way and then blame the product. Works great for me”

Happyhealthygirl August 18, 2019

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “After having about 10 weeks of treatment for my cystic adult acne at age 31 with a dermatologist who only prescribed doxy and no topicals with limited results, I found another dermatologist who prescribed me Epiduo forte in conjunction with my antibiotic. I used this combination for 12 weeks and have since stopped the antibiotic and continued with the epiduo forte. This combination SAVED my skin. My skin is completely clear with NO new breakouts in sight. The continued use of the cream is helping lighten PIH areas. I have documented my journey with photos and it REALLY works. Be patient. At first you will have a purging stage in which your skin will be red, irritated and inflamed. It is so hard but just trust the process it will work! Good luck to all who are fighting acne. It truly makes such an impact on your self esteem and ability to socialize normally. My heart goes out to everyone suffering from this and I hope you find that this combination works for your skin too!!”

Tin · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Everyone here is like, "ONLY USE PEA-SIZED AMOUNT or it will burn and begin to irritate your skin, don't worry it'll still work." Then there was me before I read these reviews crying because I used it as a moisturizer and my skin feels like it's burning."”

acnejourneyx · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “My doctor prescribed me epiduo around 7 weeks ago and I have been using it ever since. I have experienced the burning sensation throughout the process so far, however it is not major. I've had mild peeling/dry skin, the area that's been the most dry are my eyelids - but I have been using cetaphil moisturiser to help with this. I definitely had a bad purging stage within the first 4 weeks, which then subsided. However, I am still purging around my chin quite badly (large lumps under the skin), and I really hope that this subsides as I have heard that perseverance is key and that it may take up to 3 months to improve. Is anyone else still experiencing purging at week 7?”

Liz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 8, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “I have had acne my whole life. It started to get extremely bad when my Dr. put me on birth control for hormone therapy. At first I didn't really think the Epiduo cream was working because it made my face worse for 2 good months. My neck would itch extremely bad and when I would work out it would turn bright red. I had read some reviews that said DON'T GIVE UP!! It took a good 6 months for my face to clear but it was so worth it!! This medicine does take time to work but I promise you will feel so much better in the end! Stick with it and you will see results!”

Abi · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “I've only being using it for 5 days but the first 2 days it was fine but I have now developed a burning sensation leaving red mark's on my cheeks and making the skin around my cheeks, nose and mouth really dry and flaky”

Angie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “I started Epiduo gel on 1 Feb 2021 and am still on it currently. I went in with a pea sized amount but used it everyday since the start. My skin got red and dry in the first and second week, but the side effects quickly faded. However, I am not sure if it is the purge but I broke out/purged in the 5th week. They were not huge cystic pimples but rather small pimples with pus and many closed comedones. I was helpless with the closed comedones cause there is really nothing much to do about it and it makes my skin feel so bumpy. Through these I still stuck to applying epiduo gel every night and I swapped to a gentler moisturiser from cera ve. I think what’s really important is using a gentle cleaner and moisturiser, not picking on the pimples, and hydrate and last but not least, let the time pass!!”

Jess October 25, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “The very first week of using it I felt like my acne had pretty much disappeared, and then the purge started. It got worse over the first 4-5 months. I had horrendous cystic acne even worse than when I had started. My doctor told me to give it another few months so I stuck at it. I had horrendously dry skin alongside the purge and no makeup would cover my skin. Was it worth it as not my skin has never been clearer in all my life. I had to really stick with it to see the results I've seen today. This is a MIRACLE drug. I also use La Roche Posay cleanser for medicated skin and all the Vitamin E skincare range from Superdrug, alongside a rose water toner. I make sure to keep on top of my skincare routine daily, on top of using the Epiduo cream at night. PUT A PEA SIZED AMOUNT ON AT THE START. It will burn for the first 8 weeks. No photos do it justice. I look in the mirror and I am no longer ashamed at my skin 7 months later. This drug has been my saviour!☆☆☆☆☆”

wenz · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “This Epiduo was a miracle cream! Coupled with antibiotics, it completely cured my acne and clogged pores. The first 2-3 months was absolutely terrible. So i urge all of you to not give up on the treatment. The clogged pores started to become pimples and I had to squeeze all of them out. Things got better after the 4 month and now I'm into my 5 month with no clogged pores or pimples at all!!!!! So guys if you are using this for the first 2-3 months and are experiencing a purge, please DO NOT give up on it. Keep persevering and you'll see the light. I used the gel every night and it made my face red and itchy but I continued on and eventually when things got better I cut down to applying it once every two days.”

Mum of tween · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “A dermatologist prescribed this for my tween son who had blackheads on his nose, I had tried a number of over the counter products that if anything just made it worse. So I made an appointment with the dermatologist for him and he prescribed Epiduo. He told us on the first day put it on for an hour and wash off half an hour later put on Cetaphill Moisturiser, The 2nd day two hours, the 3rd day 3 hours Etc and then after 5 days leaving it on over night, still putting the moisturiser on half an hour after. We have had no dryness or irritation, the Epiduo seemed to bring any congestion in the skin up in tiny bumps and after 3 weeks his skin is clear from nearly blemishes. Don’t be afraid for It to bring a spot out this means it’s working, stick with it and be consistent.”

Cruz · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Epiduo has honestly been the only product which has had a significant impact on my skin. My acne got much worse on epiduo for a couple of months (worse than ever before), but I stuck with it and now five months into treatment, my acne has completely gone. Only minor scars remain from the intense period which are getting less notable by the day. I definitely recommend anyone suffering with moderate acne to try it!”

bébé January 19, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “I have been using Epiduo for 17 nights. Initially it made my skin super smooth, no breakouts, burning or purging. However after about a week it became extremely painful and my skin burned like crazy. Dry patches appeared around my eyes and mouth. I moisturised with Bria Organic Balm and it cleared up within 2-4 days. One thing I will say for those who experience dry patches, burning and peeling is to protect them whilst they heal. Put on a thin layer of thick moisturiser and massage into the affected area and cover it with Vaseline. Vaseline acts as a barrier and therefore the benzoyl peroxide won’t travel to the affected areas. Vaseline is your friend in the fight against burning. Also a handheld fan - or really any fan - is the best to just point at your face and sleep with! When they say a pea sized amount, they mean it. You want as little as possible, but don’t worry it will still work.”

Lea · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Do not give up!! I was about to stop my treatment but I'm glad I kept going. It is week 10 for me and it just started to clearing up. I had a bad, massive break out at week 9 and seriously thought it wasn't working for me. And now it's finally getting better. So do not give up, even if it seems it's not working I promise it will, just be patient.:)”

Zoe · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “I left a review after 1st week of using Epiduo, and I said I was positive about this product. I think I’m right. First two weeks my acne got worse, my right eye was swollen and my whole face is burning like sunburn, I got huge and painful bumps on my forehead and parts that I don’t usually get acne, but I’m so glad that I didn’t give up. It’s been over a month now and I only have some acne scars left to clear. I still have 1-2 bumps on my chin since I sleep late which I think is normal. I can’t put on any makeup since it still gets super flaky. I didn’t use any moisturizer cuz my skin is already oily, instead, I use niacinamide 12% in the morning and Epiduo at night. Use it once every two days if you think it’s too strong for your skin. Yeah girls it will get worse before it gets better, don’t give up. Don’t use more than 1 pump, my face was almost ruined by using more than “pea size” amount. DON'T DO IT, follow the instructions”

Cookie February 11, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Been using epiduo 0.1 gel for around 2 month, the first few days after using my skin was on fire but I carried on the next night and from then on and it never happened again. The doctor did tell me I would get this burn so I knew it was normally and not a reaction. I am super pleased with the results I've not had huge bumps or spots and if I have got a pimple within the day it’s gone it doesn’t progress in to a huge angry looking lump. If your just starting using this gel keep going the results are amazing.”

Zoe · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2020

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Hello!!! I started using Epiduo in mid-July and 3-months later I'm still getting significant breakouts (small whiteheads and cystic) and blackheads. I've been reading that the cream can take up to 3-5 months to be effective, so I'm holding out hope. The areas that weren't congested pre-epiduo are SUPER smooth and clear (forehead and nose); however, my cheeks are still very congested. I have also developed lots of red marks from pigmentation. With all my strength I have pushed out the purge for this long...I will keep going.”

Mary January 15, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “I started using Epiduo in November 2019 and back then my skin wasn’t very good. I had mild/moderate acne at the time and started using epiduo once, maybe twice a day. The first month was horrible and my skin started to get way worse. My breakouts were way worse than when I started. I didn’t have a burning sensation however my face started peeling like crazy. I had to use moisturizer all the time and makeup would never cover it up. At the 2-3 month mark my skin started getting slightly better with pretty bad scarring. However, when I reached the 6 month mark of this medication I was VERY pleased with the results. It got rid of my scarring drastically and my breakouts now are a lot better than they were before. I still have acne here and there but nothing compared to what it was before. It doesn’t work for everybody but it worked miracles on my skin.”

Caly · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “(Part 2 cause I wrote too much) It did cause my skin to get worse tho and sometimes I do have irritated skin. Like I said it’s been like a month or so nearly 2, but my skin has been really bad just when started, sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse, it’s still really red from scarring tho so idk whether it’s better, probably worse, but better than when it was at its worst… Good luck tho”

Helpful? · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2021

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Since about 13 I’ve always had problems with textured skin and always felt super self conscious about it. It started getting a lot worse about a year ago, so about 3 months ago I finally went to the derm. I got the pill and epiduo and told to use it once a day at nighttime every night, and only a pea sized amount. My amount of comedomes tripled, skin because super sensitive to the sun and my chin and cheeks were covered in hyperpigmentation. Nothing changed at month 2. I’m almost at the end of month 3 and just had another massive breakout, huge cyst-like bumps that I’ve only ever had on occasion, really deep, red scarring and flaking skin. To be completely honest, this treatment is not for the faint hearted. I’m going to stick it out until the 6-month mark because I’ve come this far now and I’ve heard it can take that long. Hopefully I see an improvement by then, otherwise I’ll probably stop.”

Jackie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 22, 2019

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): “Do not let the negative reviews stir you away from this medication! This acne medication has changed my life. I dealt with severe acne for about two years. I got multiple hydro facials in hope that It would clear my skin but it did not. I began taking epiduo about 4 months ago. The first couple of weeks my skin was dry but that’s about it. At first I felt like it was not working because my acne was still there and I was still having breakouts but I stuck with it. I put it on at night after washing my face. After 4 months my skin has cleared up, I cannot believe that it is this clear. I recommend this product! Stick with it and it will work! Make sure to moisturize and wear sunscreen.”

Learn more about Acne