User Reviews for Adapalene / benzoyl peroxide

Also known as: Epiduo, Epiduo Forte

Adapalene/benzoyl peroxide Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 403 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Adapalene/benzoyl peroxide to treat Acne

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "I went on Epiduo in grade 6 to deal with mild-moderate acne. I absolutely loved it! it did have to get worse for about a week before it got better but it did get better. Then I began to notice the pimples come up again. It was like I had built a tolerance to the Epiduo. My mom and I decided it was time to get off of it since it wasn’t helping anymore. A few years passed into the middle of grade 9 and my acne was pretty bad. I went to a new dermatologist and she recommended to put me on epiduo to try it again. We agreed and I bought it. The first few nights I noticed a few minor pimples popping up but I didn’t think much of it because they weren’t as bad as the rest of my face. Maybe 2-3 weeks later my skin was sunburnt AND terribly broken out. I stopped immediately. Looking back to when I used it I do think it works for the smaller acne but not necessarily the more painful, cystic acne."

DJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "I just started using epiduo forte, I'm not even a week in and my acne is going away so fast !! I’m in love with this product !! I was an accutane user prior to this and after a year off accutane my cystic acne was coming back ! My dermatologist prescribed me epido forte and I couldn’t be any happier with her decision because now my skin is glowing already and my acne is going away !!"

Jozlyn (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "When I first started using epiduo, my skin became very dry and painful. It also peeled. Within the first two-four weeks, my skin got slightly worse. However, after one month, it began to work like nothing else I’d ever used. It was great for the skin-colored bumps on my forehead and normal acne. I strongly recommend using coconut oil as a moisturizer when on this medicine. It helps profusely, and it helps minimize the initial dryness/pain/peeling that this medicine causes. It is totally worth the money and beginning side effects!!! Best thing for my acne!"

MK (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "After high school, I developed mild-occasionally moderate acne all around my mouth and chin. Doxycycline helped clear it up but it just came back after I stopped taking it. My doc prescribed epiduo forte and I have been using it for five months in my mouth area only. It took a decent while to work- initially fluctuating between good and bad skin, before gradually but consistently getting better. BEWARE! You need to ease into it. I started out using it every night, and about a week later at the beach, the sunscreen and salt water made my face burn so badly. Occasionally now I get a similar burning when putting on moisturiser, in which case I just don't apply the Epiduo for a night. It has also made my skin a lot drier and flaky, but I put up with it because overall it has really improved my acne and I am happy with the outcome. Ease into it, stick with it (if it isn't too harsh for you) for at least a few months to see results, but read your skin day by day to adjust your routine."

Olivia May 15, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "This is been the absolute worst experience I have ever had!!. It was delivered four streets over to the wrong address and the young lady was kind enough to bring the package by my home. So I tried it on Monday: 1 pump. I put on at about 9:30, waited two minutes & went to bed. I woke up not 15 minutes later with my face feeling like it is on fire. Went to the bathroom washed my face, it did not help. I had to get an ice pack to numb my face, took several ibuprofens and went to bed. When I woke up I had basically chemical burns from the medication under my jaw, my entire face is swollen. And I had to contact my dermatologist to prescribe me to help. That was Monday and today is Friday and I am still feeling the effects. My face still feels like it’s on fire and being eaten by fire ants, and washing my face with warm water is not an option because it stings like crazy. I would not recommend this to anyone ever.!!!"

Toya May 11, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "So I have tried many products and pills having little to no results, I started struggling with acne during college seemingly out of no where. Epiduo Forte is the ONLY thing that works for me. On the other reviews some people reported have a burnt/fiery feeling on their face. I experienced this as well. This is what happens when you try to get your face used to the medication. I talked to my dermatologist and he recommended cutting back from using it every night to every other night which helped a lot! I also experienced an itching and peeling stage which I would GLADLY go through again to get my face in the shape its in now! I wish I could upload photos of before and after this medicine. I don't wear any foundation or cover up anymore because my skin literally glows! Do not be afraid to give Ep. Forte a try!!"

Wren K May 3, 2018

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "Epiduo ruined my skin pretty badly. I used it for six weeks straight and my skin only got progressively worse, at one point a gigantic 3 cm diameter cyst developed on my forehead, exploding with pus, swelling up again, exploding again etc. It got so bad that it could only be taken down with multiple cortisone shots and antibiotics. Now I am left with horrible scarring (physically, but emotionally as well, the whole experience was actually quite traumatizing). I had to quit using the medicine so I do not know if it would’ve had gotten better but honestly it is not worth it, the scarring and hyperpigmentation is horrible"

E1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "I’ve had pretty severe acne since 5th grade and have been on accutane twice. The accutane wasn’t a pleasant experience and although it did eventually clear my skin, my acne came back after a few months of being off of it. Between the end of my second round of accutane and the start of using Epiduo forte, my dermatologist prescribed me various different retinoids and oral prescriptions that never really worked. It really took a toll on my self-confidence and I thought I would never find something that would clear my skin. Around three months ago I was prescribed Epiduo forte and my skin hasn’t been this clear ever. I have a little bit of discoloration and scarring and will get a pimple every so often but will go away almost overnight. Other than that my skin is completely clear and I can’t recommend this product enough! From looking at other reviews and using my own experience, if accutane didn’t work for you, this product most likely will!"

G (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2018

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "Thought out all my high school years I use to have little bumps all over my forehead and chin , I was so insecure about this I use to have a front fringe at one point to cover my forehead. I started taking the birth control pill to try and improve my acne although saw no outcome , finally went to see a dermatologist and she recommended epiduo ! Honestly after a few weeks of applying this to my forehead , chin and little spots on my cheeks my skin improved so much ! I literally swear by this cream I have oily skin and it’s vey pale compare to my body I have had no side effects such as red skin or my skin flaming up ! Highly recommend for any one that suffers from acne ( little dots all over there face that can’t be popped )"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2018

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "I am so happy with the results I have been experiencing so far after weeks of using epiduo! At first I often had red on my face and extremely dry skin as I had read on other reviews. However, this got a lot better as my skin became used to it and it was not extremely painful there was just a slight tingling sensation in the first week. I wasn’t sure if this product would work as I have not had success with any other spot treatments such as proactive plus. I would say that you definitely need to be patient when using Epiduo and only use small amounts per application but it really does work! I’m a few weeks in already and I have very noticeable changes because I have very few blemishes at all now. Would definitely recommend to anybody who struggles with spots or acne! :) (make sure to purchase a good moisturiser as your skin can get very dry during the process)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "I had recently gone to the dermatologist to find a way to get rid of this disrupting acne. I had used this cream for about 4 or 5 days and the day I had forgotten to put it on. The skin that had the Epiduo Forte had burnt my skin and had chapped up my skin leaving it to feel like it was on fire."

Ariana (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "I’ve used epiduo before and it “kinda sorta” worked on my skin, so when my dermatologist prescribed epiduo forte, I was excited to really see my acne go away. Currently, the epiduo forte is supplementing my doxycycline. I’ve been using epiduo forte for about two weeks now and it hasn’t done a thing to my skin, but make me sunburnt. I’m pretty brown. I don’t burn. I know two weeks is not enough time at all to make a valid review, but lots of reviews on here on are saying it worked for them in one week and that is not the case for me. Maybe I have a placebo bottle or something. I decided to do a test and compare before and after pictures of my face using an over the counter product vs epiduo forte. While both didn’t get rid of any pimples well, I saw greater acne reduction using drugstore products and absolutely none using forte. Pretty upset about the waste of money. I will continue to use it though and hope that it starts to work!"

Forte?? (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "I have had pretty bad acne and hyperpigmentation for well over 20 years, and have pretty much tried it all. I recently made a last ditch effort and went to a new dermatologist who prescribed Epiduo Forte. She also preceded my treatment with a chemical peel and recommended that I not begin using the cream until my face had completely cleared from the peel. One week later, I started using Epiduo Forte and I have been on it for a little over a week. The effects have been unlike anything I have ever encountered. While my face has not completely cleared up, all my acne is gone and the severe hyperpigmentation has lightened substantially. I have never encountered a treatment that has had such an immediate effect as this - and I have done chemical peels and laser treatments to little or no avail. The cream is very drying, so be advised that you will need to moisturize. I would definitely recommend, but be conscientious about your skin's reaction to the treatment and adjust accordingly."

Che Butters (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "I tried Epiduo about a year ago and it did nothing for my acne. It made huge red, itchy patches on my face which were very uncomfortable! However, after trying everything else I decided to give it another go! I started to use Mario Bedescu Acne facial cleaner which contains salicylic acid followed by pixi glow tonic which contains glycolic acid and then I use epiduo as a spot treatment. Again at first it made my skin itch & burn but I continued to use it giving my skin a few days break. Now when I use it my skin doesn’t react and it’s actually helped clear my skin! My skin has never looked so clear. This skincare routine is the best I’ve tried so far. Epiduo really flattens any active spots. Persevere with it and give it a chance, it needs a good couple of months to make any difference. Once you get past the initial dry, itchy skin is does start to work. I have extremely sensitive skin but everyone’s skin is different! It is definitely worth a try!"

S-D123 March 25, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "CAUTION: this topical will burn your skin if you have a sensitive skin type (or overuse!) I, unfortunately, have and did both. Please be careful with this. A little goes a long way. If you use as a spot treatment (you really shouldn’t) it will turn that spot bright red and make it more noticeable. Listen to your derm’s instructions but also feel it out. If it burns and you start seeing MORE acne that has been caused by irritation then stop immediately!!! Call your doctor!!! This happened to me. However, it did dry up my big cystic acne...just turned my face into the Sahara desert for a couple weeks. Very hard to conceal that with makeup..."

Krys March 12, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "Before this I used accutane. That worked, but the side effects were not fun (dry lips, always tired, flushed face, etc). It kept the acne away for a few months after treatment, but then it came back. I tried differin 1% for a while and that kinda worked. Eventually I went to my derm and got epiduo forte. This works great! I didn't really have the burning or flaky skin that others have described, my skin is probably really resistant. I had a small purge and it took about a month and a half before I realized I don't have any pimples on my face anymore. I use it nightly and then put cerave pm moisturizer on top. I've gotten a couple zits on my forehead when I skipped a couple of days, but they went away quickly. I highly recommend this. It's worked just as well as accutane without all the other side effects."

Vincent March 8, 2018

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "When my skin began to scar at age 24 with acne break outs I just about had enough! Tried a few different creams like duac (awful), my doctor recently suggested antibiotic treatment combined with the Epiduo cream. He told me to apply it at night time lightly, after the first two days myself and my family/friends could see the changes. If I use it too often it does dry out my skin but I alternate 1 night epiduo 1 night moisturiser and I use a light exfoliater twice a week!! Moral of the story don't use it too often and be patient!!"

Adult acne (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "Don’t waste your money. Made my skin dry and hyperpigmented patches. My neck became really itchy, red, scaly, dry and irritated. I have dark patches on my neck now. It is worse than before! My skin was 10x better before I started using Epiduo. Not worth your time and money."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2018

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "Epiduo completely dried out my skin. I guess to clear acne you need to remove the oils which is what it did. But it burned my skin and left me in pain for days. Redness and aching dried out skin."

rachel (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "My dermatologist prescribed me to epiduo forte a little over a month ago. I have been taking doxycycline with it as well but feel like the epiduo is what is most effective!! At first it was sort of burning my skin and make it extremely dry so I cut back to every other day and my skin slowly got used to it. When I first started my face was entirely cleared up in a week, and now my acne is normal but applying this to the breakouts really gets them working. I am really happy with this product so far, and it is supposed to take 6-8 weeks for full results so I’m hoping I’ll see those soon! Strongly suggest"

El (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

"I was prescribed this gel along with doryx capsules every day to try and get rid of my moderate acne. This gel has to be used sparingly especially if you have sensitive skin because it makes the skin very itchy and dry. I use this specifically to spot treat my pimples only. If used correctly this helps reduce the size of pimples and dry them out. I definitely recommend using this along with a light oil free moisturizer otherwise it will turn your face into a desert."

Audrey C (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "After trying normal Epiduo for a while and having mild success I eventually decided to just try over the counter products for my mild acne. My breakouts came back very strong and I had big cystic acne that would not go away. I became desperate and eventually decided to try out Epiduo Forte. At first I didn’t see much results and it dried my face a ton. But after using a nice moisturizer in the morning (CerVe) and using the gel every night for the past month my face is really starting to clear up! My biggest advice to anyone thinking about trying it is just give it time to start working! Be diligent about your morning and nightly routine and the results will eventually come!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "My Dermatologist recommended Epiduo for my acne. Tried everything but nothing worked for me. Finally this came to me as a rescue. My Doctor adviced like this: Apply moisturiser- Episoft first at night Then apply Epiduo as spot treatment. First two days, leave it for one hour and wash it off. Increase to two hours the next few days there by slowly making your skin to adopt to the gel. Gradually increase the time and leave it over night. By this way, my skin didn't become dry and red which is the nature of Epiduo. Thanks to my Doctor for making my skin acne free. This cream won't do magic over night. Patience needed!!"

Shyamala Gowri (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "Please don't get confused with a purge and a reaction. I used this for about three months which brought out a huge cluster of painful cystic acne on my cheeks thinking it was a purge, which ended up making my acne 10x worse and left me with stubborn hyperpigmentation and scars that I'm now on roaccutane to solve. Got rid of my forehead and chin spots almost immediately with no "purge" which I think is the normal way this cream should work, otherwise I'd stop using"

Erinperin1 January 18, 2018

Epiduo Forte (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide): "I started getting adult acne at 35. I’d never had acne in my life. It was horrible. Along my jaw line I had all kinds of acne. Cystic, whiteheads, blackheads, no heads...lol. I went to a dermatologist and had chemical peels. Used expensive skin care regimens prescribed by my esthetician. $1000’s later, I tried epiduo forte. I have been in treatment now for 8 weeks and I can see a remarkable difference. And it’s not just me, my husband noticed initially. Yes it stings a little and if you aren't using a moisturizer, you will get peeling and dry skin. I am sure to put on an extremely high SPF EVERY DAY. (Very important)"

Pimple pop (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2018