User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance.

Reviews for Humira to treat Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

"My daughter was 13 when diagnosed with Crohn's. I am quite certain that she has actually had it five years. They started her on Humira almost immediately. It started at bi-weekly, then she started getting it weekly. While on Humira, my daughter has been hospitalized six times in 14 months and has had surgery to get a stuck camera pill out and then a perforated bowel. I wouldn't say it has been working. I will say that the first time she had a dose, she felt hungry, which was wonderful. But it was rather short lived. We need to find something else."

Kat on the Keys February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had bowel problems all my life. In 2004 diagnosed with Crohns. Put on Pentasa and 6MP which eventually stopped working. Through the generous Abbvie Patient Assistance program I was able to start Humira in December 2015. The change was quick and dramatic. Many symptoms either disappeared or lessened. At times eating certain foods bring on cramps but they can be managed. My only fear is that one year I will not be renewed in the Abbvie program. Medicare Part D has a copay which is quite high, well beyond my financial ability. This would result in loss of relief which Humira has provided."

Jolly Professor November 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After having crohns for 47 years I just went on Humira 2 months ago. So far so good."

Buzzberm (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"first the shot is very painful and i have a very high pain tolerance. the whole time i've never been in remission and for about the past year and a half it stopped working which means options are out."

Goosev8 November 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Humira has been a miricle, llife-saving drug for me. Along with very informed astute medical professionals, I have been fortunate to have my Crohn's Dz go into remission. THANK GOD!! Any side effects or adverse reactions to the drug have been well worth enduring! Anyone that has had a true Crohn's flare up would agree."

JOE R. (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on Humira for 2 months. Discontinued Endicort as MRI showed it was not working although I felt good. Within weeks got very sick again with fatigue, joint pain and abdominal pain. I had to go off work. Gastro Doctor prescribed prednisone for 5 weeks to bide me more time for the Humira to start working which was very effective for the pain. Have just finished the prednisone 5 days ago so am waiting for my Crohns symptoms to return. So far so good but my energy level is low"

worboys October 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been a Crohn's sufferer since I was 18, I'm now 47. I have had two bowel resections, multiple blockages and bowel symptoms that left me house bound for days at a time. I have been on Prednisone so much that I have maxed out the lifetime exposure limit, have tried Methotrexate (nausea+++), Pentasa (no change) and Remicade (serum reaction). I have been on Humira now for over 8 years and aside from a few minor flare-ups, I have a life back. Bless all of the programs and benefit companies that have recognized that this medication has restored some people to being productive once again."

TNPMEDIC (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had Crohn's for over 16 years. I started taking Pentasa and Prednisone for 3 years and then moved onto Remicade for 6 yrs until I developed a resistencia to it. I now have been on Humeria for 7 yrs and rate it a 8-9. The first 5 yrs was awesome! Small side effects like a few light infections in my eyes, athlete's foot, acne, and one time head rash (2 weeks) all had been good. The last 6 months have been a bit tougher. I have gotten some stomach pain back and had a few episodes so had to add Prednisone again. The theory is I am either developing a resistance to it like Remicaid or just need a higher dosage. I take a shot every 2 weeks and might need 2 pens. I am a big guy 6'4" 250lbs. The pen pinches a little nothing to stop anyone!"

Jim Donnelly August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lost 20 pounds and was feeling terrible. Then I was diagnosed with Crohn's and now I take Humara and it has brought my weight up to normal and i've been in remission ever since!"

b-rad7122 August 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Humira has been amazing in treating my severe Crohn's. I used to suffer almost every time I'd eaten 7 days/week or unprovoked but now it's gone down to only once or twice. The only reason I'd rate it 9 instead of ten is because the initial injection burns very badly (the medication, not the needle) and can interrupt my day for an hour or so. The pain is worth the long term result. I highly recommend going for it if the option has been made available to you. I have two family members who use it too, one for Crohn's and one for arthritis and it's given them great success as well :)"

Nicole MK July 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been a miracle for me. After loading dose, by day 5 it was like a light switch was toggled. I've been 95% better and feel normal again for first time in 15 years (I'm 36). Nothing else worked and I was miserable with low quality of life. I still have to change my automatic way of thinking: scouting out nearest bathrooms, foregoing meals before social events, etc. I'm gradually branching out from my safe foods list (very small by the time I started Humira). The only side effect had been more severe allergies than usual and a few headaches here and there. The shots are extremely painful for me, but 10-15 seconds of extreme discomfort for 15 Crohn's-free days seems like a very fair trade. So thankful for this medication."

BMan1979 (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This seems to have kept my crohns under control for periods at a time.. But I realise especially after reviewing others experiences that I have developed psoriasis due to the humira. It is so bad now all over my scalp I have a lot of hair loss. It's all about weighing things up I know, but now my skin is reacting to my ileiostomy bag. I have no choice but to stop it. My skin reacts to anything. What a shame. It seems this drug suits many people, but also completely doesn't work for many others."

MissPenny56 January 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 18 now and I was 5 when I had started having symptoms of crohn's disease and finally after 8 months of suffering they finally tested me and diagnosed me. I'm going to make this short, crohn's has been hell for me. I was finally put on remicaid, It put me in remission for three years until I started to have a reaction to the medication and I was diagnosed with drug induced lupus. A couple months ago I was admitted into the hospital and later was put on humira, a little skeptical but I had no choice. I can tell it has helped but it does cause major hair loss in some patients as I am dealing with right now. My hair has never been in the best condition because of the medication but so far the medication has really improved my health!"

Alexis K. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I currently have severe crohns disease and started humira about 4 weeks ago. I got kind of scared when I saw all the reviews about the pain. My experience was the opposite. It just feels like a normal pinch. When having crohns, you endure much more pain than the shot."

VimalRaiI (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've not been on humira for long, for about 4 months, but for me it has not helped with anything. Sure, I might get a little less pain every now and then, but I still feel like I'm being torn apart from the inside out after I eat or when I try to sleep. I'm experiencing many side effects which aren't pleasant. A rare one which I have is being on my period for 2 months, coming off it for a week or two then it coming back on! I still get stomach pain, nausea, joint pain, soreness under my ribs, dry mouth and trouble swallowing, feeling lightheaded, night sweats, trouble sleeping and much more that my consultant decided to look right passed and keep me on this damn thing! I had higher hopes for this, I'm quite disappointed to say the least."

Sallz143 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had Chron's symptoms for about 10months. I was in severe pain with the constant inflammation. I was vomiting and the nausea was unbearable. I recently started humira. After one week of starting my injections, I immediately noticed that I had no more pain. I am able to eat without feeling awful afterwards. The only side effects I've experienced are headache and fatigue, but nothing too unmanageable."

Breezy88 May 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on weekly 15mg methotrexate and fortnightly Humira. Is everybody on both of just the Humira. Luckily it's government funded."

Boltmannz March 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"As a new Crohn's patient I had read a lot of horror stories about this disease and the medications used to control it - myself, I went on Azathioprine first but it stopped working gradually. Humira has honestly been a God send so far, I have my life back and no symptoms 99% of the time, I'm so thankful! Only thing I'm worried about now is if it stops working, but nothing has happened yet and I am past the danger zone apparently."

Squelia (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had ulcerative colitis/Crohn's Disease for 20+ years. Was on sulfasalazine, taking prednisone for flare-ups. Switched to Lialda 3 years ago. It had fewer side effects, but did not control my condition. After 2 serious bouts of anemia (one hospitalization and 5 units of blood), my doctor decided on Humira. That was 6 months ago. No side effects at first, but recently got a sinus infection (congestion, coughing, very sore throat). Took prescribed antibiotics, but it won't go away. I felt better while taking the antibiotics, but the symptoms returned after they were done. Hope this is not a sign of things to come! Decreased ability to fight infections, right?"

Ohio Guy January 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had forgotten how it felt like to be normal and healthy. To have energy. I was experiencing this after three months on Humira only to be abruptly dropped from my insurance plan. So thankful for the Abbvie patient assistance plan which has now approved me for a full year! I am looking forward to getting better again in the months ahead. I was afraid I was going to lose my job because of the flares but now I am hopeful. Thanks"

Thank You Abbvie (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Humira has really been a life saver. I wasn't sure if I was going to see another day in my life without pain and then I was introduced to Humira..it truly is a blessing, I don't have any side effects from the shot at all."

doctorshaps (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband has had a severe case of Chron's since he was 33. He was on and off of Remicade for 7 years. Last January we found out he built up antibodies to the Remicade and it was no longer working properly. Humira has been a God send for him. He loves that he decides when to give himself the shot and he only has side effects for 24 hours compared to 48 or 72 hours after an infusion of Remicade. He has been in remission for a year for the first time in years. We feel very blessed there is a new medicine helping patients with this very difficult disease. He also has learned to eliminate gluten and dairy. As his diet gets better he feels better."

GAW February 3, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had Crohn's disease for about a year and a half and Humira has been amazing. I felt relief within one month and was in remission within 9 months. Life is pain free..only side effect is yeast infections every week and feel like I have the flu the week right before due for shot. Shot is painful for 10 seconds, but it is worth it. Remicade is only other option, using it as last resort. Otherwise very satisfied."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with Crohn's 15 years ago. Medicine varied with poor results for 9 years. Over 60% of my colon is bad. Prescribed Humira 6 years ago. On Humira I have recovered and stayed in remission. I have had no negative side effects. I have been able to manage the shot every two weeks very well. (Previous medications, such as pentasa and prednisone, did cause significant and bad side effects along with no help for the crohn's symptoms.)"

proten July 26, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on Remicade until October 2012, after my last colonoscopy and the Dr. saw blockage and he felt it was no longer working even though I felt fine. He moved me to Cimzia which didn't work for me, did that until January when I was switched to Humira. Didn't think it was working but now 3 months later finally feeling like it's effective. Wish they could make a pill form. The injections aren't extremely painful but they don't feel good. Maybe it's different for people with body fat but I have close to none and wont inject anything in my legs."

jaydownsouth (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2013