Generic Name: etoposide (EH-toe-POE-side)
Brand Name: Etopophos and Toposar
Toposar may decrease your body's ability to fight infections (due to bone marrow suppression). Immediately notify your doctor if you develop symptoms of an infection (persistent sore throat, fever), easy bruising or bleeding, or unusual fatigue. Your doctor will closely monitor you while you are using Toposar.
Toposar is used for:
Treating lung cancer and testicular tumors in patients who have not responded to other treatment. It is used in combination with other cancer medications.
Toposar is an antineoplastic. It works by stopping the tumor cells from dividing (mitosis), which prevents the spread of certain types of cancer.
Do NOT use Toposar if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Toposar
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Toposar:
Some medical conditions may interact with Toposar. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney disease, bone marrow depression, an infection, or a history of blood conditions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Toposar. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because their actions and side effects may be increased by Toposar
- Cyclosporine because the actions and side effects of Toposar may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Toposar may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Toposar:
Use Toposar as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Toposar is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Toposar at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Toposar contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- If Toposar accidentally spills on your skin, wash it off immediately with soap and water.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Toposar, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Toposar.
Important safety information:
- Toposar may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Toposar. Using Toposar alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite occurs, ask your doctor or pharmacist for ways to lessen these effects.
- Toposar may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations in which bruising or injury may occur. Report any unusual bleeding, bruising, blood in stools, or dark, tarry stools to your doctor.
- Toposar may lower your body's ability to fight infection. Prevent infection by avoiding contact with people with colds or other infections. Notify your doctor of any signs of infection, including fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while you are using Toposar.
- LAB TESTS, including complete blood cell counts, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Toposar with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Toposar is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Toposar has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Toposar during pregnancy. It is unknown if Toposar is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Toposar.
Possible side effects of Toposar:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Appetite loss; back pain; blue or purple discoloration of the skin; diarrhea; hair loss; increased sweating; nausea; tightness in throat; voice changes; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chills; cough; decreased ability to fight infection; fever; leukemia; liver problems; loss of consciousness; low blood pressure; pain, redness, or swelling at injection site; sore throat; sores on the mouth or lips; temporary blindness; tingling of the fingers or toes; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Toposar:
Toposar is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Toposar at home, store Toposar as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Toposar out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Toposar, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Toposar is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Toposar or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Toposar. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Toposar. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Toposar.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Toposar (etoposide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: mitotic inhibitors