Generic Name: Milnacipran (mil NAY ci pran)
Brand Name: Savella, Savella Titration Pack
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on June 2, 2020.
- Drugs like this one have raised the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions in children and young adults. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. All people who take Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) need to be watched closely. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is not approved to treat low mood (depression). Talk with your doctor.
Uses of Savella Titration Pack:
- It is used to treat fibromyalgia.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Savella Titration Pack?
- If you have an allergy to milnacipran or any other part of Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran).
- If you are allergic to Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran); any part of Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have kidney disease.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid or methylene blue.
- If you are taking digoxin.
- If the patient is a child. Do not give Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) to a child.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Savella Titration Pack?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) affects you.
- Do not stop taking Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of signs of withdrawal. If you need to stop Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran), you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Check blood pressure and heart rate as the doctor has told you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If you are on a low-salt or salt-free diet, talk with your doctor.
- It may take several weeks to see the full effects.
- This medicine may raise the chance of bleeding. Sometimes, bleeding can be life-threatening. Talk with the doctor.
- A severe and sometimes deadly problem called serotonin syndrome may happen. The risk may be greater if you also take certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; severe diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or very bad headache.
- This medicine can cause low sodium levels. Very low sodium levels can be life-threatening, leading to seizures, passing out, trouble breathing, or death.
- If you are 65 or older, use Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) while you are pregnant.
- Taking Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) in the third trimester of pregnancy may lead to some health problems in the newborn. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Savella Titration Pack) best taken?
Use Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Keep taking Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low sodium levels like headache, trouble focusing, memory problems, feeling confused, weakness, seizures, or change in balance.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- For males, testicle pain.
- Sex problems like lowered interest in sex or ejaculation problems.
- Some people may have a higher chance of eye problems with Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran). Your doctor may want you to have an eye exam to see if you have a higher chance of these eye problems. Call your doctor right away if you have eye pain, change in eyesight, or swelling or redness in or around the eye.
What are some other side effects of Savella Titration Pack?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Hot flashes.
- Sweating a lot.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Dry mouth.
- Not able to sleep.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Savella Titration Pack?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran) is refilled. If you have any questions about Savella Titration Pack (milnacipran), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Savella (milnacipran)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 325 Reviews
- Drug class: serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors
- FDA Approval History