Generic name: Carboxymethylcellulose (kar boks ee meth il SEL yoo lose)
Brand name: Artificial Tears, Biolle Gel Tears, Biolle Tears, GenTeal, Lubricating Plus Eye Drops, ...show all 21 brand names.Refresh Celluvisc, Refresh Liquigel, Refresh Optive Advanced PF, Refresh Optive Advanced, Refresh Optive Mega-3, Refresh Optive PF, Refresh Optive, Refresh Plus, Refresh Relieva, Refresh Repair, Refresh Tears, Sterile Lubricant, TheraTears Nighttime, Theratears PF, Theratears, Ultra Fresh
Drug class: Ophthalmic lubricants and irrigations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 2, 2020.
Uses of Refresh Relieva:
- It is used to treat dry eyes.
- It is used to treat eye irritation.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Refresh Relieva?
- If you are allergic to Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose); any part of Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Refresh Relieva?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose) by mouth. If Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose) is put in the mouth or swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Refresh Relieva) best taken?
Use Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Some of these products are not for use if you are wearing contact lenses. Be sure you know if you need to avoid wearing contact lenses while using this product.
- Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
- Put the cap back on after you are done using your dose.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Tilt your head back and drop drug into the eye.
- After use, keep your eyes closed. Put pressure on the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes. This keeps the drug in your eye.
- Some of these drugs need to be shaken before use. Be sure you know if this product needs to be shaken before using it.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not use if solution changes color.
- Throw away any part left over after the dose is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses or extra doses.
- Many times Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Refresh Relieva?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Refresh Relieva?
- Store at room temperature.
- Be sure you know how long you can store Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose) before you need to throw it away.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Store in pouch until ready for use.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Refresh Relieva (carboxymethylcellulose), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Refresh Relieva (ocular lubricant ophthalmic)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.