Generic name: Chlorzoxazone [ klor-ZOKS-a-zone ]
Brand names: Lorzone, Parafon Forte DSC
Drug class: Skeletal muscle relaxants
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 7, 2023.
The Parafon Forte DSC brand name has been discontinued in the U.S. If generic versions of this product have been approved by the FDA, there may be generic equivalents available.
Uses of Parafon Forte DSC:
- It is used to relax muscles.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Parafon Forte DSC?
- If you have an allergy to chlorzoxazone or any other part of Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone).
- If you are allergic to Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone); any part of Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Parafon Forte DSC?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- This medicine is used with rest, PT (physical therapy), pain drugs, and other therapies.
- Rarely, Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) may change the color of the urine. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Parafon Forte DSC) best taken?
Use Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Liver problems have rarely happened with Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone). Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Parafon Forte DSC?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Parafon Forte DSC?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (3)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: skeletal muscle relaxants
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.