Generic name: Methyl Salicylate [ METH-il-sa-LIS-i-late ]
Brand names: Coats Aloe Liniment, NeuroMAX
Drug class: Topical rubefacient
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 10, 2022.
Uses of NeuroMAX:
- It is used to ease muscle and joint aches and pain.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take NeuroMAX?
- If you are allergic to NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate); any part of NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take NeuroMAX?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Some brands of NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate) have peanut oil in them. If you are allergic to peanuts, check with your pharmacist to see if your brand has peanut oil in it.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (NeuroMAX) best taken?
Use NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Put on clean, dry, healthy skin.
- Do not put on irritated skin.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
- Many times NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of NeuroMAX?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out NeuroMAX?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about NeuroMAX (methyl salicylate), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about methyl salicylate topical
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.