Generic Name: Testosterone Nasal Gel (tes TOS ter one)
Brand Name: Natesto
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 29, 2019.
Uses of Natesto:
- It is used to treat low testosterone levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Natesto?
- If you have an allergy to testosterone or any other part of Natesto (testosterone nasal gel).
- If you are allergic to Natesto (testosterone nasal gel); any part of Natesto (testosterone nasal gel); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are male and have breast or prostate cancer.
- If you have any of these health problems: Heart disease, kidney disease, or liver disease.
- If you are a woman. This medicine is not approved for use in women. If you are a woman using Natesto (testosterone nasal gel), talk with your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
- If the patient is a child. Do not give Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) to a child.
- If you have problems with swelling of the lining of your nose like Sjogren's syndrome.
- If you have ever had any of these health problems: Broken nose within the past 6 months, nose or sinus problems, nose or sinus surgery, or broken nose that caused the inside of the nose to be crooked (deviated septum).
- If you are using another drug in the nose.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Natesto (testosterone nasal gel).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Natesto?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Natesto (testosterone nasal gel). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- There may be a higher chance of prostate cancer. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have an enlarged prostate, your signs can get worse while you use Natesto (testosterone nasal gel). Call your doctor if this happens to you.
- If you have sleep apnea, talk with your doctor. Sometimes, sleep apnea has gotten worse in people using testosterone.
- High blood pressure has happened with Natesto (testosterone nasal gel). Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- High blood pressure can raise the chance of heart attack, stroke, or death from heart disease. If you have high blood pressure or heart disease, talk with your doctor.
- Treatment with Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) may lead to higher cholesterol and triglycerides. The effect of these changes on heart health is not known. Talk with the doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Natesto (testosterone nasal gel).
- Blood clots have happened with Natesto (testosterone nasal gel). Tell your doctor if you have ever had a blood clot. Talk with your doctor.
- If you have very bad nose problems like runny nose, stuffy nose, or postnasal drip, or if you have these problems and they do not go away, talk with your doctor. You may need to stop Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) or switch to another product.
- This medicine is an anabolic steroid. Anabolic steroid drugs have been abused and misused before. Anabolic steroid abuse can lead to dependence and very bad health problems. These health problems include heart or blood vessel problems, stroke, liver problems, and mental or mood problems. Talk with the doctor.
- High calcium levels have happened with drugs like this one in some people with cancer. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of high calcium levels like weakness, confusion, feeling tired, headache, upset stomach or throwing up, constipation, or bone pain.
- If you are 65 or older, use Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine is not approved for treating low testosterone levels caused by getting older. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may affect sperm in men. This may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Natesto) best taken?
Use Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) by mouth. Use in your nose only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes (may burn).
- If you get Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) on the skin, wash it off right away with soap and water.
- Use Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) at the same time of day.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- You will need to prime the pump before first use. Do this by turning it upside down and pressing down on the pump 10 times. If any drug comes out during priming, wash down the sink with warm water.
- Blow your nose before use.
- Do not blow your nose or sniff for 1 hour after using Natesto (testosterone nasal gel).
- Wipe device with a clean tissue. Do not wash.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- For males, erections (hard penis) that happen often or that last a long time.
- Trouble passing urine, pain when passing urine, passing urine in a weak stream or drips, or passing urine more often.
- Not able to control passing urine.
- New or worse behavior or mood changes like depression or thoughts of killing yourself.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Breast pain.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Trouble breathing when sleeping.
- Feeling sleepy during the day.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Change in color of skin.
- Change in size or shape of testicles.
- Dry nose.
- Nose pain or irritation.
- Runny or stuffy nose.
- Nose scabs.
- Call your doctor right away if you have signs of a blood clot like chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; shortness of breath; swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; or trouble speaking or swallowing.
- Liver problems have happened with drugs like this one. Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Natesto?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Pimples (acne).
- Emotional ups and downs.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Irritation where Natesto (testosterone nasal gel) is used.
- Throat irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Natesto?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Natesto (testosterone nasal gel), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Natesto (testosterone)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 4 Reviews
- Drug class: androgens and anabolic steroids
- FDA Alerts (6)
- FDA Approval History