Generic name: Methylfolate, Methylcobalamin, and Acetylcysteine [ meth-il-FO-late-meth-il-koe-BAL-a-min-& a-se-teel-SIS-teen ]
Brand names: CerefolinNAC, Metafolbic Plus, Metafolbic Plus RF
Drug class: Vitamin and mineral combinations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 29, 2023.
Uses of Metafolbic Plus:
- It is used to help growth and good health.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Metafolbic Plus?
For all patients taking this medicine (Metafolbic Plus):
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Metafolbic Plus); any part of this medicine (Metafolbic Plus); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have kidney stones, talk with your doctor.
- If you are taking levodopa.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take this medicine (Metafolbic Plus).
- If your child is younger than 12 years of age. Do not give this medicine (Metafolbic Plus) to a child younger than 12 years of age.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Metafolbic Plus).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Metafolbic Plus) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Metafolbic Plus?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Metafolbic Plus). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take this medicine (Metafolbic Plus).
- If you are allergic to tartrazine, talk with your doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- If you take cholestyramine or colestipol, talk with your pharmacist about how to take them with this medicine (Metafolbic Plus).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Metafolbic Plus) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Metafolbic Plus) best taken?
Use this medicine (Metafolbic Plus) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Back pain, belly pain, or blood in the urine. May be signs of a kidney stone.
What are some other side effects of Metafolbic Plus?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Metafolbic Plus?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Metafolbic Plus), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about Metafolbic Plus (multivitamin)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (1)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Drug class: vitamin and mineral combinations
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.