Generic Name: folic acid with vitamin b6 and b12 (FOE-lik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Folcaps and Folgard RX
Folgard RX is used for:
Supplementing the diet to treat or prevent vitamin deficiency. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Folgard RX is a vitamin combination. It works by increasing the amounts of folic acid and vitamin B6 and B12 in the body.
Do NOT use Folgard RX if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Folgard RX
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Folgard RX:
Some medical conditions may interact with Folgard RX. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have anemia or a condition known as Leber hereditary optic atrophy
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Folgard RX. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) or levodopa because their effectiveness may be decreased by Folgard RX
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Folgard RX may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Folgard RX:
Use Folgard RX as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Folgard RX by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss taking a dose of Folgard RX, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Folgard RX.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Folgard RX unless your doctor tells you to.
- Folgard RX has pyridoxine (vitamin B6) in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has pyridoxine (vitamin B6) in it, too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Folgard RX should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Folgard RX while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Folgard RX, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Folgard RX:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; drowsiness; headache; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, numbness, or tingling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Folgard RX:
Store Folgard RX at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Folgard RX out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Folgard RX, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Folgard RX is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Folgard RX or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Folgard RX. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Folgard RX. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Folgard RX.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about multivitamin with minerals
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 22 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: vitamin and mineral combinations
- B-complex/vitamin c/folic acid/iron/minerals
- Calcium carbonate/magnesium
- Calcium carbonate/vitamin d/vitamin b6/vitamin b12/folic acid chewable wafers
- Calcium/folic acid/vitamin b6/vitamin b12/vitamin d
- Calcium/magnesium/vitamin d
- More... (20)