Generic Name: Loteprednol Eye Gel (loe te PRED nol)
Brand Name: Lotemax, Lotemax SM
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 26, 2020.
Uses of Lotemax:
- It is used to treat eye irritation.
- It is used to treat eye swelling.
- It is used to treat eye pain after eye surgery.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Lotemax?
- If you have an allergy to loteprednol or any other part of Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel).
- If you are allergic to Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel); any part of Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: A fungal, TB (tuberculosis), or viral infection of the eye.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Lotemax?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when driving or doing other tasks that call for clear eyesight.
- Long-term use may raise the chance of cataracts or glaucoma. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your eye pressure checked if you are on Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel) for a long time. Talk with your doctor.
- Do not use Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Bright lights may bother you. Wear sunglasses.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Lotemax) best taken?
Use Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
- Turn bottle with lid on upside down and shake 1 time before each use.
- Do not wear contact lenses while using Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel).
- Tilt your head back and drop drug into the eye.
- After use, keep your eyes closed. Put pressure on the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes. This keeps the drug in your eye.
- If Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel) is being used after surgery on both eyes, do not use the same bottle for both eyes. Your doctor may order 2 eye drop bottles; one for each eye. Make sure you do not mix the 2 bottles up.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Lotemax?
- Eye irritation.
- Dry eyes.
- Blurred eyesight.
- Feeling that something is in the eye.
- Runny nose.
- Sore throat.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Lotemax?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store upright with the cap on.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Lotemax (loteprednol eye gel), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Lotemax (loteprednol ophthalmic)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 13 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: ophthalmic steroids
- Lotemax ophthalmic
- Lotemax (Loteprednol Eye Drops 0.5% and 1%)
- Lotemax (Loteprednol Eye Ointment)
- Lotemax (Advanced Reading)