Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief
Generic Name: loperamide/simethicone (loe-PER-a-mide/sye-METH-i-kone)
Brand Name: Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief
Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief is used for:
Treating the symptoms of diarrhea plus bloating, pressure, and cramps from gas.
Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief is an antidiarrheal and antiflatulent combination. It works by slowing the movement of bowel contents. It also breaks up gas bubbles to make gas easier to eliminate.
Do NOT use Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief
- you have stomach pain without diarrhea
- you have constipation; stomach bloating; bloody stools; or dark, tarry stools.
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief:
Some medical conditions may interact with Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bloody diarrhea; mucus in your stool; fever; bowel problems (eg, inflammation, blockage, enlarged colon); or diarrhea caused by food poisoning, antibiotic use, or bacterial infection.
- if you have AIDS or liver problems
- if you are taking an antibiotic
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Quinidine or ritonavir because they may increase the risk of Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief's side effects
- Saquinavir because its effectiveness may be decreased by Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief:
Use Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief by mouth with or without food.
- Drinking extra fluids is recommended while you have diarrhea. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you miss a dose of Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief.
Important safety information:
- Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or tiredness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 48 hours without checking with your doctor.
- If your diarrhea does not get better within 48 hours or if it gets worse, contact your doctor.
- If you develop a fever, stomach bloating or swelling, or blood in your stools, contact your doctor.
- Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief is used to treat the symptoms of diarrhea, but will not treat the condition causing the diarrhea. Check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about the cause of your diarrhea.
- Caution is advised when using Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially dehydration.
- Do not use Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without checking with the child's doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief while you are pregnant. Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief.
Possible side effects of Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); constipation; decreased urination; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; stomach bloating, swelling, or pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include decreased urination; nausea; severe constipation or drowsiness; vomiting.Proper storage of Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.