Generic Name: Fexofenadine Tablets (FEX oh FEN a deen)
Brand Name: Allegra
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 1, 2019.
Uses of Fexofenadine Tablets:
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
- It is used to treat hives.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Fexofenadine Tablets?
- If you have an allergy to fexofenadine or any other part of this medicine (fexofenadine tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (fexofenadine tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Fexofenadine Tablets?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (fexofenadine tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take this medicine (fexofenadine tablets).
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (fexofenadine tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (fexofenadine tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Fexofenadine Tablets) best taken?
Use this medicine (fexofenadine tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Avoid taking this medicine (fexofenadine tablets) with fruit juice.
- Do not take antacids that have magnesium or aluminum at the same time as this medicine (fexofenadine tablets). Talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Take with a full glass of water.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take this medicine (fexofenadine tablets) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (fexofenadine tablets) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Fexofenadine Tablets?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Fexofenadine Tablets?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (fexofenadine tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about fexofenadine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 115 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines
- Fexofenadine Orally Disintegrating Tablets
- Fexofenadine Oral Suspension
- Fexofenadine (Advanced Reading)