Doans Extra Strength
Generic name: Magnesium Salicylate [ mag-NEE-zhum-sa-LIS-i-late ]
Brand names: Doans Extra Strength, Doans Pills
Drug class: Salicylates
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 12, 2023.
Uses of Doans Extra Strength:
- It is used to treat low back pain.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Doans Extra Strength?
For all patients taking Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate):
- If you have an allergy to magnesium salicylate or any other part of Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate).
- If you are allergic to Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate); any part of Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: GI (gastrointestinal) bleeding or kidney problems.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate) if you are in the third trimester of pregnancy. You may also need to avoid Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate) at other times during pregnancy. Talk with your doctor to see when you need to avoid taking Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate) during pregnancy.
- If you are taking any other NSAID.
- If you are taking a salicylate drug like aspirin.
- If your child has or is getting better from flu signs, chickenpox, or other viral infections.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Doans Extra Strength?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- If you are taking aspirin to help prevent a heart attack, talk with your doctor.
- Do not give to children and teenagers who have or are getting better from flu signs, chickenpox, or other viral infections due to the chance of Reye's syndrome. Reye's syndrome causes very bad problems to the brain and liver.
- This medicine may raise the chance of severe and sometimes deadly stomach or bowel problems like ulcers or bleeding. The risk is greater in older people, and in people who have had stomach or bowel ulcers or bleeding before. These problems may occur without warning signs.
- If you are 60 or older, use Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate), call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Doans Extra Strength) best taken?
Use Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Take with a full glass of water.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Feeling confused.
- Ringing in ears.
- Hearing loss.
What are some other side effects of Doans Extra Strength?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Stomach pain or heartburn.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Doans Extra Strength?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Doans Extra Strength (magnesium salicylate), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about magnesium salicylate
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (20)
- Imprints, shape & color data
- Side effects
- Drug class: salicylates
- En español
Doans Pills Extra Strength, MST, Doan's Pills, Nuprin Backache
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.