Generic Name: flurazepam (flur-AZ-e-pam)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Dalmane is used for:
Treating sleep disorders. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dalmane is a benzodiazepine. It works by depressing the central nervous system (brain), causing drowsiness to aid in falling asleep.
Do NOT use Dalmane if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dalmane
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dalmane:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dalmane. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have glaucoma or a predisposition for glaucoma, kidney or liver problems, lung problems or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), muscle problems, poor health, depression, suicidal tendencies, the blood disorder porphyria, or a history of substance abuse or dependence
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dalmane. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aprepitant, clozapine, disulfiram, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), kava, nefazodone, omeprazole, oral contraceptives (birth control pills), sodium oxybate (GHB), or valproic acid because they may increase the risk of Dalmane's side effects
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) or rifampin because they may decrease Dalmane's effectiveness
- Clozapine, digoxin, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Dalmane
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dalmane may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dalmane:
Use Dalmane as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dalmane comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Dalmane refilled.
- Take Dalmane by mouth with or without food.
- Take Dalmane at bedtime.
- If you miss a dose of Dalmane, take it when you remember if you are still able to get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep. If you are no longer able to get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep when you remember, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dalmane.
Important safety information:
- Dalmane may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or light-headedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Dalmane with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it. You may still feel sleepy the day after you take Dalmane. Avoid driving and performing other possibly unsafe tasks until you feel fully awake.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Dalmane.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Dalmane; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 to 10 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Dalmane before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Some patients taking Dalmane have performed certain activities while they were not fully awake. These have included sleep driving, making and eating food, making phone calls, and having sex. Patients often do not remember these events after they happen. Such an event may be more likely to occur if you use a high dose of Dalmane. It may also be more likely if you drink alcohol or take other medicines that may cause drowsiness while you use Dalmane. Tell your doctor right away if such an event happens to you.
- Use Dalmane with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, daytime drowsiness, dizziness, falling, and staggering.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Dalmane if you are pregnant. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Dalmane is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dalmane.
When sleep medicines are used every night for more than a few weeks, they may lose their effectiveness to help you sleep. This is known as TOLERANCE. Sleep medicines should usually be used only for short periods of time, such as a few days and generally no longer than 1 or 2 weeks. If your sleep problems continue, contact your doctor.
When used for longer than a few weeks or at high doses, some people develop a need to continue taking Dalmane. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you stop taking Dalmane suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. This may include unpleasant feelings. In more severe cases, you may have stomach and muscle cramps, vomiting, sweating, and shakiness. Seizures may rarely occur. If you take Dalmane for more than 1 to 2 weeks, do not stop taking it without talking to your doctor.
Possible side effects of Dalmane:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Clumsiness or unsteadiness; dizziness; excessive daytime drowsiness; light-headedness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; shortness of breath; tightness in the chest or throat; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bizarre behavior; changes in personality, mood, or behavior; chest pain; confusion; disorientation; fainting; falling; hallucinations; irregular heartbeat; loss of coordination; memory problems or loss; new or worsening depression; sluggishness; staggering; suicidal thoughts or actions; unusual weakness or tiredness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Dalmane:
Store Dalmane at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dalmane out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dalmane, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dalmane is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Dalmane or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Dalmane. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Dalmane. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Dalmane.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Dalmane (flurazepam)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 11 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: benzodiazepines