Generic Name: dalfampridine (dal-FAM-pri-DEEN)
Brand Name: Ampyra
Dalfampridine is used for:
Improvement of walking in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS).
Dalfampridine is a potassium channel blocker. Exactly how it works is not known. It is thought to increase nerve function that will improve walking in patients with MS.
Do NOT use dalfampridine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in dalfampridine
- you have moderate to severe kidney problems
- you have a history of seizures
- you take any other medicines that contain other aminopyridines (eg, 4-AP, fampridine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using dalfampridine:
Some medical conditions may interact with dalfampridine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of kidney problems, kidney or urinary tract infections, or an abnormal electroencephalogram
- if you have trouble swallowing
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with dalfampridine. However, no specific interactions with dalfampridine are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if dalfampridine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use dalfampridine:
Use dalfampridine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dalfampridine comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get dalfampridine refilled.
- Take dalfampridine by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow dalfampridine whole. Do not break, crush, chew, or dissolve before swallowing. If you cannot swallow tablets whole, tell your doctor.
- Take your doses at the same time each day, about 12 hours apart. This may help to decrease the risk of seizures with dalfampridine.
- If you miss a dose of dalfampridine, do not make up the missed dose. Take your next dose at your regular scheduled time. Do not take 2 doses at once. Do not take more than 2 doses within 24 hours.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use dalfampridine.
Important safety information:
- Dalfampridine may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use dalfampridine with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take for longer than prescribed without talking with your doctor.
- Dalfampridine may increase your risk of seizures. Your risk of seizures is higher if you take too much of dalfampridine or if you have kidney problems. Contact your doctor right away if you experience a seizure while taking dalfampridine.
- Lab tests, including kidney function, may be performed while you take dalfampridine. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use dalfampridine with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Dalfampridine should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if dalfampridine can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking dalfampridine while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking dalfampridine.
Possible side effects of dalfampridine:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back pain; constipation; dizziness; headache; indigestion; nausea; nose and throat irritation; trouble sleeping; throat pain; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); balance problems; burning, numbness, or tingling; confusion; seizure; symptoms of urinary tract infection (eg, burning or pain while urinating, difficulty urinating, inability to control urination).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; memory loss; mental problems; seizure; speech problems; sweating; tremor; weakness.Proper storage of dalfampridine:
Store dalfampridine at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep dalfampridine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about dalfampridine, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dalfampridine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take dalfampridine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about dalfampridine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to dalfampridine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using dalfampridine.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about dalfampridine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 52 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous central nervous system agents
Other brands: Ampyra