Generic Name: chlorhexidine (klor-HEX-ih-deen)
Brand Name: Examples include Betasept and Hibiclens
Chlorhexidine liquid is used for:
Cleansing skin and wound areas. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Chlorhexidine liquid is a topical antimicrobial. It works by reacting with the microbial cell surface, destroying the cell membrane, and killing the cell.
Do NOT use chlorhexidine liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in chlorhexidine liquid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using chlorhexidine liquid:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with chlorhexidine liquid. However, no specific interactions with chlorhexidine liquid are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if chlorhexidine liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use chlorhexidine liquid:
Use chlorhexidine liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To cleanse the skin, thoroughly rinse the area to be cleansed with water. Apply the minimum amount necessary to cover the skin or wound area and wash gently. Rinse thoroughly.
- If you miss a dose of chlorhexidine liquid, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use chlorhexidine liquid.
Important safety information:
- Chlorhexidine liquid is for external use only. Avoid contact with eyes, ears, and mouth. If chlorhexidine liquid contacts any of these areas, rinse out promptly and thoroughly with water.
- Chlorhexidine liquid may stain clothing.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using chlorhexidine liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use chlorhexidine liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of chlorhexidine liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Skin irritation, itching, or redness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Chlorhexidine liquid may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of chlorhexidine liquid:
Store chlorhexidine liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Avoid excessive heat above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C), and light. Keep chlorhexidine liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about chlorhexidine liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chlorhexidine liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take chlorhexidine liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about chlorhexidine liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to chlorhexidine liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using chlorhexidine liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about chlorhexidine topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 20 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antiseptic and germicides
- Chlorhexidine solution
- Chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse
- Chlorhexidine topical
- Chlorhexidine (Advanced Reading)
- Chlorhexidine Periodontal (Advanced Reading)
- Chlorhexidine Topical application (Advanced Reading)