Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 17, 2023.
Uses of Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets:
- It is used to treat or prevent low calcium levels.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets?
- If you have an allergy to calcium or any other part of this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets); any part of this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have high calcium levels.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are allergic to tartrazine, talk with your doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- This medicine may prevent other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, you may need to take them at some other time than this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets). Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets) best taken?
Use this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Chew well before swallowing.
- Take with meals.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad constipation.
What are some other side effects of Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (calcium carbonate chewable tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about calcium carbonate
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (23)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: antacids
- En español
- Calcium carbonate drug information
- Calcium Carbonate Capsules and Tablets
- Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets (Antacid)
- Calcium Carbonate Tablets (Antacid)
- Calcium Carbonate Suspension
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.