Generic name: Calcium and Vitamin D Chewable Tablets [ KAL-see-um-& VYE-ta-min-dee ]
Brand name: Os-Cal 500+Extra D Chewable
Drug class: Vitamin and mineral combinations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 30, 2022.
Uses of Calcium and Vitamin D Chewable Tablets:
- It is used to help growth and good health.
- It is used to prevent or treat soft, brittle bones (osteoporosis).
- It is used to treat or prevent low calcium levels.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Calcium and Vitamin D Chewable Tablets?
- If you have an allergy to calcium, vitamin D, or any other part of this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets); any part of this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: High calcium levels, high vitamin D levels, kidney stones, or low phosphate levels.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Calcium and Vitamin D Chewable Tablets?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are allergic to tartrazine, talk with your doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- This medicine may prevent other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, you may need to take them at some other time than this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets). Talk with your doctor.
- Follow the diet plan that your doctor told you about.
- If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), talk with your doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Calcium and Vitamin D Chewable Tablets) best taken?
Use this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets) with food.
- Chew well before swallowing. Some brands may be swallowed whole or dissolved in your mouth. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad constipation.
What are some other side effects of Calcium and Vitamin D Chewable Tablets?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Calcium and Vitamin D Chewable Tablets?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (calcium and vitamin D chewable tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about calcium / vitamin d
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (9)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- Drug class: vitamin and mineral combinations
- En español
- Drug Information
- Calcium and Vitamin D Capsules and Tablets
- Calcium and Vitamin D Liquid
- Calcium and Vitamin D Powder
Citracal + D, Caltrate 600+D, Os-Cal Calcium+D3, Calcitrate with D, ... +4 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.