My stool was loose and green and I haven't eaten anything green. What does this mean?

Stephen Treloar 26 Sep 2017

It is nothing to worry about, it could be something such as bile: "Food may be moving through the large intestine too quickly, such as due to diarrhea. As a result, bile doesn't have time to break down completely." source Mayo Clinic. Another possible source in your case might be an iron supplement (in the absence of green vegetables).

Windchimes123 27 Sep 2017

Hi Randy,
My friend Stephen gave you really good advice.
I'd like to add my 2 cents. I believe in teaching so you can understand, not only why, but how it's happening.
Bile is made in the liver.
Bile is stored in the gall bladder.
I hope you have eaten :-)
WHY IS POOP BROWN ?
The usual healthy color of stool is brown.
Poop brown is a combination of waste from bacteria in your bowels AND debris from red blood cells.
The bile in your intestines is usually a greenish-yellow (like when you puke with nothing in your stomach). The bacteria wastes adds the rest of the color to equal brown.
Bacteria performs an important role. It helps digest food
The usual brown color of excrement is due to a leftover mix of dead red blood cells and waste from the bacteria in your bowels. The bile in your intestines is usually a yellowish green color, but bacteria adds the rest of the hue. Besides making your poop brown, bacteria helps absorb the necessary nutrients from your bowel.
FYI ... this is why hand-washing is so important. In the bowel it's good but if it brushes your face, you can get an eye infection. For women, wiping front to back will keep it out of the bladder.
Feces can be a different color if it moves too quickly through the bowel as in diarrhea.
Another reason :
Green vegetables because of chlorophyll will change the stool to green as Stephen mentioned.
Most typically - kale, spinach, broccoli and blueberries.
I read something funny in Health line ...
It turns you from being a Cleveland Brown fan into a Green Bay Packer!
Food coloring can also turn you into a St Patrick's Day if drinking green beer.
Blue, Black and Purple can also make green. A fast food burger chain offered Halloween black buns. Yes the little trick-or-treaters had green poop!

Bile Pigments :
The bile is made in the liver and stored in the gall bladder. As you eat, the gall bladder releases enzymes (lipase) to help break down the fat so it's better absorbed. This is why the doctor asks questions about abdominal pain. A diet high in fat but for some reason the bile doesn't get released (stone) it can cause a colicky type pain in you right upper abdomen.
When you have stomach cramping or diarrhea, it's because the stool is moving to quickly to adequately have the bile break down the stool.
ANTIBIOTICS- Kills off large amounts of the bacteria in your intestine disrupting the normal cycle. Probiotics are good following antibiotic therapy to restore the natural flora.
Other meds : iron supplements, Depo-Provera and Indomethasin.
MEDICAL PROCEDURES : I don't remember which ones or why.
PARASITES, VIRUSES and BACTERIA:
We carry a whole host of bacteria etc that is healthy and necessary.
However, foreign invaders can cause big problems.
Salmonella is a good example. Giardi and norovirus also causes green diarrhea.
I hope this helps.
Take care
:-)