Vandazole Side Effects
Generic Name: metronidazole topical
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug metronidazole topical. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Vandazole.
More frequent side effects include: cervical candidiasis and vaginitis. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to metronidazole topical: vaginal cream, vaginal gel/jelly, vaginal suppository
Other dosage forms:
As well as its needed effects, metronidazole topical (the active ingredient contained in Vandazole) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
Major Side Effects
If any of the following side effects occur while taking metronidazole topical, check with your doctor immediately:More common:
- Itching in the vagina
- pain during sexual intercourse
- thick, white vaginal discharge with no odor or with a mild odor
- Abdominal or stomach cramping or pain
- burning on urination or need to urinate more often
- burning or irritation of penis of sexual partner
- itching, stinging, or redness of the genital area
Minor Side Effects
Some metronidazole topical side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:Less common:
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- dryness of the mouth
- feeling of a furry tongue
- loss of appetite
- metallic taste or other change in taste sensation
Metronidazole may cause your urine to become dark. This is harmless and will go away when you stop using this medicine.
Side Effects: Post Treatment
After you stop taking this drug, it is possible that you may still experience side effects that need medical attention. If you notice any of the following side effects check with your doctor immediately:
- Any vaginal or genital irritation or itching
- pain during sexual intercourse
- thick, white vaginal discharge not present before treatment, with no odor or with a mild odor
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to metronidazole topical: topical cream, topical gel, topical kit, topical lotion, vaginal gel with applicator
Topical: The most frequently reported side effects were nasopharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache.
Vaginal: The most frequently reported side effects were fungal infection, vulvovaginal candidiasis, headache, vulvovaginal pruritus, nausea, diarrhea, metrorrhagia, breast pain, infection, rash, pharyngitis, abdominal pain, pruritus, and dysmenorrhea.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Mild dryness (17.1%), mild scaling (16.2%)
Common (1% to 10%): Moderate dryness, moderate scaling, mild pruritus, moderate pruritus, severe pruritus, mild stinging/burning, moderate stinging/burning, severe stinging/burning, local allergic reaction
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Severe dryness, severe scaling
Frequency not reported: Application site reaction, condition aggravated, transient redness[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Dysmenorrhea, breast pain, metrorrhagia, vulvovaginal candidiasis, vulvovaginal pruritus, urinary tract infection, vaginal itching/irritation/burning/numbness, pelvic discomfort, vaginal discharge
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Vaginal mycosis, urine discolored, vulva edema, menstrual discomfort/irregularities, vaginal spotting/bleeding
Frequency not reported: Breast enlargement, dysuria, female lactation, labial edema, leucorrhoea, menorrhagia, salpingitis, urinary frequency, vaginitis, vulvovaginal disorder[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, gastritis, tooth disorder, gastrointestinal discomfort, abdominal cramps, vomiting
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Constipation, dry mouth, abdominal bloating/noise
Frequency not reported: Dyspepsia, flatulence, gingivitis[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Headache, dizziness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Tingling/numb extremities, taste metallic, dysgeusia, paresthesia, hypothesia
Frequency not reported: Peripheral neuropathy, ataxia
Postmarketing reports: Taste perversion[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Pharyngitis, bronchitis, nasopharyngitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infection, nasal congestion
Frequency not reported: Asthma, rhinitis[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Hypertension[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Pruritus, rash, contact dermatitis, dry skin, skin discomfort, burning/stinging, erythema, worsening of rosacea, skin irritation
Frequency not reported: Acne, sweating, urticaria, skin exfoliation, facial edema, zoster lesion, nose pustule, vesicular bullous eruption
Postmarketing reports: Hyperpigmentation, pigmentation disorder, hypertrichosis[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Fungal infection (12%), flu syndrome (up to 11%)
Common (1% to 10%): Infection, influenza, abscess, pain
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Fatigue
Frequency not reported: Mucous membrane disorder[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Depression, difficult sleep, irritability
Frequency not reported: Insomnia[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Back pain, cramp[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Basal cell carcinoma
Frequency not reported: Skin cancer[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Eye irritation, watery eye
Postmarketing reports: Eyelid edema[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Liver function test abnormal[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergic reaction[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Appetite decreased
Frequency not reported: Anorexia, hypomagnesemia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Pyelonephritis[Ref]
1. "Product Information. MetroLotion (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Galderma Laboratories Inc, Cranbury, NJ.
2. "Product Information. Noritate (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." sanofi-aventis, Bridgewater, NJ.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
4. "Product Information. MetroNIDAZOLE Vaginal (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Oceanside Pharmaceuticals, Bridgewater, NJ.
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
6. "Product Information. MetroNIDAZOLE Topical (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." G & W Laboratories Inc, South Plainfield, NJ.
7. "Product Information. Rosadan (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Medimetriks Pharmaceuticals Inc, Fairfield, NJ.
8. "Product Information. Metrogel (metronidazole)." Galderma Laboratories Inc, Fort Worth, TX.
9. "Product Information. Vandazole (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Upsher-Smith Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
It is possible that some side effects of Vandazole may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
More about Vandazole (metronidazole topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical anti-rosacea agents