Senna Concentrate Side Effects
Generic name: senna
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 22, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about senna. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Senna Concentrate.
For the Consumer
Applies to senna: oral capsule liquid filled, oral liquid, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, senna (the active ingredient contained in Senna Concentrate) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking senna:
Incidence not known
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to senna: compounding powder, oral disintegrating strip, oral granule, oral liquid, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, rectal suppository
Abdominal pain, abdominal spasm, and liquid stool passage usually occurred in patients with irritable colon and may occur in individual overdose events; dose reductions should be performed if the side effects occur.
Chronic use may result in intestinal mucosa pigmentation/pseudomelanosis coli, which usually recedes with treatment discontinuation.[Ref]
Albuminuria and hematuria may occur as a result of electrolyte and water equilibrium disorders.
Urine discoloration by metabolites was not clinically significant.[Ref]
Chronic use may result in electrolyte metabolism and water equilibrium disorders.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hypersensitivity/hypersensitivity reactions[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions included generalized/local exanthema, pruritus, and/or urticaria.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Finger clubbing, hypertrophic osteoarthropathy[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hypogammaglobulinemia[Ref]
More about Senna Concentrate (senna)
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug class: laxatives
- Latest FDA Alerts (3)
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Fletchers Castoria (senna)." Mentholatum Company, The (2005):
2. "Product Information. SenoSol-X (senna)." Apothecon Inc (2022):
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
5. "Product Information. Ex-Lax Chocolated (senna)." Novartis Consumer Health (2019):
6. "Product Information. Ex-Lax Extra Strength (senna)." Novartis Consumer Health (2019):
7. "Product Information. Ex-Lax Regular Strength Pills (senna)." Novartis Consumer Health (2019):
8. "Product Information. Senna (senna)." Humco Holding Group (2019):
9. "Product Information. Senna Lax (senna)." Mylan Institutional (formerly UDL Laboratories) (2019):
10. "Product Information. Senokot (senna)." Palmetto State Pharmaceuticals Inc (2019):
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.