Senna Concentrate Side Effects
Generic Name: senna
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on July 4, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about senna. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Senna Concentrate.
For the Consumer
Applies to senna: oral capsule liquid filled, oral liquid, oral suspension, oral syrup, oral tablet
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, senna (the active ingredient contained in Senna Concentrate) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking senna:
Incidence not known
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to senna: compounding powder, oral disintegrating strip, oral granule, oral liquid, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, rectal suppository
Abdominal pain, abdominal spasm, and liquid stool passage usually occurred in patients with irritable colon and may occur in individual overdose events; dose reductions should be performed if the side effects occur.
Chronic use may result in intestinal mucosa pigmentation/pseudomelanosis coli, which usually recedes with treatment discontinuation.[Ref]
Albuminuria and hematuria may occur as a result of electrolyte and water equilibrium disorders.
Urine discoloration by metabolites was not clinically significant.[Ref]
Chronic use may result in electrolyte metabolism and water equilibrium disorders.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hypersensitivity/hypersensitivity reactions[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions included generalized/local exanthema, pruritus, and/or urticaria.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Finger clubbing, hypertrophic osteoarthropathy[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hypogammaglobulinemia[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Ex-Lax Extra Strength (senna)." Novartis Consumer Health, Summit, NJ.
2. "Product Information. Ex-Lax Chocolated (senna)." Novartis Consumer Health, Parsippany, NJ.
3. "Product Information. Senokot (senna)." Palmetto State Pharmaceuticals Inc, Charleston, SC.
4. "Product Information. Senna (senna)." Humco Holding Group, Texarkana, TX.
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
6. "Product Information. Fletchers Castoria (senna)." Mentholatum Company, The, Orchard Park, NY.
7. "Product Information. SenoSol-X (senna)." Western Research Laboratories, Phoenix, AZ.
8. "Product Information. Ex-Lax Regular Strength Pills (senna)." Novartis Consumer Health, Parsippany, NJ.
9. "Product Information. Senna Lax (senna)." Mylan Institutional (formerly UDL Laboratories), Rockford, IL.
10. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
More about Senna Concentrate (senna)
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.