Megace ES Side Effects
Generic Name: megestrol
Note: This document contains side effect information about megestrol. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Megace ES.
For the Consumer
Applies to megestrol: oral suspension, oral tablets
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to megestrol: compounding powder, oral suspension, oral tablet
Endocrine side effects including cases of new onset diabetes mellitus, exacerbation of preexisting diabetes mellitus, and overt Cushings syndrome have been reported in association of chronic use of megestrol (the active ingredient contained in Megace ES) Adrenal insufficiency has also been reported in patients receiving or being withdrawn from chronic megestrol therapy in both the stressed and non-stressed state. Adrenocorticotropin (ACTH) stimulation testing has revealed the frequent occurrence of asymptomatic pituitary-adrenal suppression in patients treated with chronic megestrol therapy. Hot flashes have also been reported.[Ref]
The possibility of adrenal insufficiency should be considered in any patient receiving or being withdrawn from chronic megestrol who presents with signs and/or symptoms suggestive of hypoadrenalism in either the stressed or non-stressed state.[Ref]
Hematologic side effects including a significant risk to develop blood clots have been reported.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects including breakthrough menstrual bleeding have been reported.[Ref]
Musculoskeletal side effects have included at least two patients with severe osteoporosis complicated by multiple vertebral fractures experienced while the patients were receiving high-dose megestrol (the active ingredient contained in Megace ES) therapy.[Ref]
Oncologic side effects including tumor flare (with or without hypercalcemia) have been reported. Long term animal studies have reported an increased risk for both benign and malignant tumors of the breast.[Ref]
Other side effects including a possible case of megestrol (the active ingredient contained in Megace ES) withdrawal syndrome have been reported.[Ref]
1. Panwalker AP "Hyperglycemia induced by megestrol acetate." Ann Intern Med 116 (1992): 878
2. Caparros GC, Zambrana JL, Delgado-Fernandez M, Diez F "Megestrol-induced Cushing syndrome." Ann Pharmacother 35 (2001): 1208-10
3. "Product Information. Megace (megestrol)." Bristol-Myers Squibb, Princeton, NJ.
4. Gambling DR, McMorland GH, Yu P, Laszlo C "Comparison of patient-controlled epidural analgesia and conventional intermittent "top-up" injections during labor." Anesth Analg 70 (1990): 256-61
5. Nathwani D, Green ST, Heslop JM, Goldberg DJ, Kennedy DH "Beneficial response to megoestrol acetate in AIDS-related cachexia and a possible megoestrol withdrawal-associated syndrome?" Acta Derm Venereol 70 (1990): 520-1
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Megace ES (megestrol)
- Megace ES Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: hormones/antineoplastics