Maximum Red Krill Side Effects
Generic Name: omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
Note: This document contains side effect information about omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Maximum Red Krill.
For the Consumer
Applies to omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: oral capsule liquid filled
Along with its needed effects, omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (the active ingredient contained in Maximum Red Krill) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids:
Incidence Not Known
- Bleeding gums
- coughing up blood
- difficulty with breathing or swallowing
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- increased menstrual flow or vaginal bleeding
- prolonged bleeding from cuts
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- red or black, tarry stools
- red or dark brown urine
- tightness in the chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Some side effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Acid or sour stomach
- bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
- bloated or full feeling
- change in taste
- excess air or gas in the stomach
- stomach discomfort, upset, or pain
Incidence Not Known
- difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
- loss of appetite
- nausea or vomiting
- passing of gas
- stomach fullness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: oral capsule, oral delayed release capsule, oral kit, oral liquid, oral tablet chewable
Common (1% to 10%): Eructation, dyspepsia, nausea, gastrointestinal disorders (including abdominal distension, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, flatulence, gastroesophageal reflux disease, vomiting)
Rare (less than 0.1%): Gastrointestinal pain
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Lower gastrointestinal hemorrhage[Ref]
The most common adverse events were eructation, dyspepsia, and taste perversion[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Infection, pain
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Death[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Rash
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Atopic dermatitis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Hyperglycemia, gout, high triglycerides
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Blood lactate dehydrogenase increased[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Taste perversion
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Dizziness, dysgeusia, headache, hyperactivity[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Epistaxis
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Nasal dryness
Rare (less than 0.1%): Hypersensitivity
Very rare (less than 0.01%): White blood count increased,
Frequency not reported: Slight prolongation of bleeding time
Postmarketing reports: Hemorrhagic diathesis[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Liver disorders (including increased ALT, increased AST, and transaminases increased)[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Vayarin (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids)." Vaya Pharma, Greenville, SC.
2. "Product Information. Omega-3 D-3 Wellness Pack (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids)." TMIG Inc, Marietta, GA.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
5. "Product Information. Lovaza (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids)." GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC.
6. "Product Information. Omega-3-Acid Ethyl Esters (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids)." Apotex Corporation, Weston, FL.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.