Idenal Side Effects
Generic Name: aspirin / butalbital / caffeine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 27, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about aspirin / butalbital / caffeine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Idenal.
For the Consumer
Applies to aspirin / butalbital / caffeine: oral capsule, oral tablet
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Very bad belly pain.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
The most common adverse reactions have included drowsiness and dizziness.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Drowsiness, dizziness
Frequency not reported: Lightheadedness[Ref]
Frequency not reported: bone marrow suppression[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Aspirin/Butalbital/Caffeine (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine (acetylsalicylic acid/butalbital/caffeine))." Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, Livonia, MI.
2. "Product Information. Fiorinal (ASA/butalbital/caffeine)" Actavis (formerly Abrika Pharmaceuticals LLP), Sunrise, FL.
More about Idenal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine)
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.