Hydroxyprogesterone Side Effects
Commonly reported side effects of hydroxyprogesterone include: urticaria and swelling at injection site. Other side effects include: pruritus. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to hydroxyprogesterone: parenteral injection for im use
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to hydroxyprogesterone: compounding powder, intramuscular solution, subcutaneous solution
Genitourinary side effects have included admission for preterm labor, preeclampsia or gestational hypertension, gestational diabetes, and oligohydramnios. Postmarketing side effects include urinary tract infection, cervical incompetence, premature rupture of membranes, cervical dilation, and shortened cervix.[Ref]
Local side effects have included injection site pain, swelling, pruritus, and nodules. Postmarketing side effects include local injection site reactions of erythema, urticaria, rash, irritation, hypersensitivity, and warmth.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have included pruritus and urticaria. Postmarketing side effects include rash.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects include postmarketing reports of dyspnea and chest discomfort.
Other side effects include postmarketing reports of fatigue, fever, and hot flashes/flushes.
1. "Product Information. Makena (hydroxyprogesterone)." Ther-Rx Corporation, Bridgeton, MO.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about hydroxyprogesterone
- Hydroxyprogesterone Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 68 Reviews
- Drug class: progestins
- Hydroxyprogesterone injection
- Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate Injection
- Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate Injection (Makena)
- Hydroxyprogesterone Intramuscular (Advanced Reading)
- Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate (AHFS Monograph)
- Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate Injection (FDA)
- Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate (Wolters Kluwer)