User Reviews for Hydroxyprogesterone systemic

Premature Labor
7.1

Summary of Hydroxyprogesterone reviews 7.0 84 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyprogesterone

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I had my soon to be 4yr old at 27 weeks and now I’m currently 32 weeks. My midwife started me on the Makena (P17) shot at 16 weeks. I would say it’s very effective but the shots hurt so bad. They say it’s the medicine because it’s so thick, but either way it hurts. Every other week they inject it into the opposite arm. When I usually get it, my left arm stings the longest for days afterwards and it itches so bad. The more I get it, the more I’m used to it but I cannot wait until I don’t have to get it any longer because that pain afterwards is horrible. I don’t look forward getting it every week and I’ve been counting down since 16 weeks lol. I’m glad that it’s helping my baby stay in the over a bit longer though so I won’t complain but other than the painfullness, I would recommend getting it. Nothing is more painful than actual labor so I think I can survive a 2sec shot with a couple days of pain."

MommyAsh (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I agree with the post below, I got the IM injections with my previous pregnancy. I didn’t recall any awful sides effects besides some hives that went away with hydrocortisone. I have a drug sensitivity to the progesterone but unfortunately there isn’t an alternative so I thought Id try a different form. So this pregnancy I got Makena auto injection SQ into the arms. It is extremely painful and causes nausea after the shot the I have a huge lump. No pressure can be put on that arm or it hurts an incredible amount. I still have a few left I’ll use but once I’m done I’ll go back to the hip IM injections. They were not anywhere near as painful."

Lou (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I had my first child at 34 weeks with no complications. When my doctor mentioned the shot to me while I was pregnant with my daughter, I was skeptical. I was never big on medicines or anything being injected into my body. I decided to get the shot anyway. My OB was very kind to give me info on having a nurse from an outside agency come to my house each week to give the shot. Other than itching for the first few weeks, I did not experience any other side effects. I went 39 weeks and had a very healthy baby girl."

Lrab (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I have a history of preterm labor, with my first born at 35 weeks, next at 32 weeks, the next one was put on bed rest and terbutaline at 28 weeks with delivery at 38. This time I started the shots at 16 weeks, in the butt, and sometimes it hurts and sometimes not. I found it helpful to circle the spot with a sharpie for the next time when I found a good spot. I just took my last shot today and I'm 35 weeks two days. I've still had contractions, but my cervix hasn't changed at all, so I consider that success! I also haven't had to be on bedrest, which amazing! I did have an issue at one point with my insurance being difficult, and it took a month to get my refill, but the Dr had a few extra shots so I didn't miss any."

Luna (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I have gone through rounds of fertility treatment all requiring shots intramuscular and subcutaneous in nature. I have given them to myself, had my spouse administer, had provider administer. This is my second pregnancy with a p17 shot. The Makena shot that I am currently taking is a prefiled syringe that you administer in the back of the arm. This is hands down the most painful shot I have ever had. It is absolutely terrible. Is there a reason they are no longer given in the hip? It is a millions times less painful and equally effective. It leaves my arm in pain for DAYS!!!! In addition it’s absurdly expensive."

Suz (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I am currently almost 12 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first pregnancy I had my son at 34wks 4days. I talked to to doctor today 1/7/19 about the makena shot. I am very iffy about this shot. I usually NEVER put anything medication wise into my body but if this actually helps with premature labor its worth it. So with that being said from experience from other mommys does this shot work?? Is it worth the hassle of going to my doctors once a week to get this shot???"

mamab January 7, 2019

For Premature Labor: "Yes, the injection itself burns, and is a thick substance, so it can't be injected real quickly, but the effectiveness of this medication has been amazing. I have had 4 previous pregnancies, all of which were preemie. The earliest was 27 weeks the longest was 34 weeks. This is the first time I will hopefully have the experience of taking my baby home when I get discharged, and not having to living in the NICU for days/weeks/months. It is worth every second of uncomfortability each week to know that my child will be healthier than any we've had previously."

Mekena January 2, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I had two children born early. One at 32 weeks and one at 34 weeks, not sure why. Now with my 3rd child they started me at 16 weeks on the Makena shot. The injection spot is in my arm and we trade from left to right each week. After a couple shots the spot started to get itchy and hurt even more. Each injection is very painful, but I feel it’s worth my child to stay in there longer. I didn’t go through my insurance I just went through an insurance that helps you pay for the shots, it is CVS pharmacy and I paid $50 a month for all 4 shots. I got my last shot at 36 weeks, they checked me and I was dilated to 3 cm with 70% effaced. I am currently 37 weeks and 2 days, having mild contractions on and off. I also lost my mucus plug, so I am hoping any day now."

Boy Mommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "Makena is a great shot to take. However, I found of that there is a drug shortage until 2019. There is a generic brand but there are no copay assistance programs out there. From what the pharmacist explained there are grants to help reimburse you and then if that does not work they can send you an application for hardship. I was told insurance was going to cover them and that we qualified for care connection, but I have gotten two bills so far stating we owe 3200 for each month of supplies. . I started the shots at 16 weeks because we delivered our daughter at 34 weeks but my water broke partially at 25 weeks. I am now 25 weeks and just found out about the shortage of these Makena shots yesterday. They should be back in stock around 2019. I am terrified because I take my shots on Thursday and I start cramping and having pressure normally a day or two before. So now I am without shots for about two weeks. Does anyone know if that will cause preterm labor?"

NAM (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "This is my 5th pregnancy- 4 prior living healthy kids :) 2/4 pregnancies were Preemies 32&34 wkrs my son born at 34wks was lack of amniotic fluid & cord wrapped around his neck 3xs- induced being that he was dying inside of me, I started leaking fluid 20 wks and complete bed rest and taking tirbutaline for contractions. Baby boy was born healthy 5.1 18in. my daughter was born at 32 wks I just began to dilate so quick & they waited till I was 6cms and popped my bag and had her within 20 mins she was in the NICU for a month due to premature lungs. Now with my 5th pregnancy I started MAKENA at 17 weeks. I had some hemorrhaging early on in the 1st trimester. Glad & hoping that this the makena working for me- as I currently am 33wks as of today- some mild braxton hicks. Injections do hurt and cause me so much pain! but as long as my baby boy makes it to term, I do not care about the side effects. -I'll be back with an update- as to when I have my baby & God willing everything goes smooth :)"

Jayzoly October 16, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "If you are a black woman or have asthma do not take this medication it causes preeclampsia. I almost died, two of my children died."

Anonymous September 29, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "Hi, I just wanted to say I had my first son at 32 weeks. I then suffered from a series of miscarraiges. I am now 16 weeks pregnant and just started using Makena today. I wanted to let anyone know that actually, it did not hurt. I will come back to rate this shot and tell you all how long the baby stayed in, but when I was searching this site I wanted to know 1. If it hurt and 2. If it worked. SO I will come back and let you all know how long the baby stays in, but please do not be scared from all of the comments that it hurt. I was terrified, and it felt like a normal shot. Thank you. * I have been at work the remainder of the day and have no side affects, I don't even feel it anymore."

Ash (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "Do not use this - it is not safe !"

Mamaof3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I have had to high-risk pregnancies the first one I had placenta previa the whole time with my daughter delivered at 37 weeks. The third child my water started leaking at 25 weeks I had him at 29 weeks he spent 19 days in the NICU with just under 3 pounds. This is my fourth pregnancy I’m 40 years old and was very scared about having another premature baby my doctor told me since I found out I was 18 weeks into the pregnancy that I needed to get on the Makena shots. At that point not knowing for 18 weeks I would rather not have another premature baby. So I have been on the shots I am now 35 1/2 weeks waiting on my next shot on Tuesday and hope to deliver soon after that. I will tell you it is much better to have a healthy baby then the scare of having a premature baby that may not make it. Yes I endured the same symptoms itchy injection sites, swelling and bruising. All worth it!"

Wendy September 13, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "Who knows if it works or not? I am leery of the lack of studies, especially following up on children in the years after they are born. There is so much pressure to receive these shots, but go with your gut. They HURT. I have had both the auto injector (in the arm) and the regular (in the muscle of your butt). Both caused side effects. I had one in my arm and it itched and hurt for over a month after I received it. I had several in my butt that hurt for days at the injection site, sometimes pain down my leg, and I would develop a hard lump under the skin at injection site. I have never felt more depressed and it makes your urine smell something awful. Keeping the hope that the benefits are real and are worth the damage I may be doing to my body or my unborn baby. Who knows what will develop in the future from injecting ourselves with synthetic materials."

Downbythesea (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "Hi I have start my shots and so far everything went well. I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant and praying this helps. I lost a son in 2017 at 19 weeks and with this pregnancy I was told I have a short cervix. I was give a cervical cerclage at 19 weeks and also given my first Makena shot. I then waited for an approval from my insurance company for 2 weeks and was finally approved. I was very scared after reading the risks and other people experiences. But I prayed about it, put my fears aside and decided to continue with the shot for a better chance at a good outcome. I heard that the injections hurt but it felt like any other shot to me. It was given in my hip/butt and only has a bit of an itch. I do see a little dot of a bruise at my first site and a little bump but nothing to alarming. I hope this help me carry my little one full term and that I have a healthy child."

MSLADY August 23, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "My first child was born at 25 weeks 4 days due to premature labor. The doctors didn't know how to stop my contractions and didn't believe me that my contractions were getting worse until they checked my cervix. I had to have an emergency c-section moments later and my daughter was immediately life flighted to another hospital that had a NICU. She spent 96 days in the hospital. This was in April 2015. I am now pregnant with my second child and see a new OB/GYN who recommended these injections. I started them at 16 weeks and am now 30 weeks 3 days and only have 5 more shots to go. Besides some injection site itchiness and a lump (similar to a mosquito bite) I would recommend this shot to anyone who has went through premature labor. I cannot wait to see what this shot has in store for me over these next few weeks."

MonteRay June 24, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "My daughter was born 6 weeks early due to spontaneous rupture of membranes. For this pregnancy my perinatologist ‘suggested’ Makena, so I obliged, but I wish I had been more prepared for the cost. My Makena injections cost $43,240.20 ($2,882.68 per claim) and my insurance (BCBS of OK) has only paid $1,246.85 of it. The first order for Makena was made 1/6/17, my son was born 5/7/17 and today’s date is 6/18/18. So far, I have received bills from my specialty pharmacy totalling over $2,000 and I assume it will start to climb. I need to call my insurance. I’m not sure if there are any cheaper alternatives, or any alternatives for Makena at all, but do your homework if the cost could set you back. I have no way of knowing if Makena actually prevented premature delivery with my son. He was born at 39 weeks. I did not take my last 3 Makena injections because of the shooting pain down my legs."

BeckerHaus June 18, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "First child was born at 34 weeks- leaked fluid and had a baby 7 hours later. Painless, vaginal no med labor and gave birth to my daughter weighing 5lb 5oz and in perfect health. 2nd child they put me on Makena and. No issues. Last shot at 36 weeks and my water leaked again the day of my 36 week check up but was 36 weeks and 6 days- they considered me 37 weeks. Son born healthy and no issues at 7lbs 9oz. I am on my 3rd pregnancy and so far so good. Expecting to give birth to another son around 37 weeks again. Last shot should be at 36 weeks, so we shall see what happens. Only difference in this pregnancy is I have single umbilical artery (SUA) usually there is two. So we have to get an ultrasound every 4 weeks to measure baby and be sure he is growing well, and that heart, kidneys, brain, etc all look good. They want me to be induced no later than 37 weeks, but I opting to not be induced because this baby will come out when ready. Giving my body till 38 weeks to naturally induce before I let them intervene."

Hazzy B (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

For Premature Labor: "It was great. The injections a little bit painful, but thanks goodness they worked very well! I didn't feel any side effects!"

Oksana (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I just started this medication and I'm hoping it works as well as it has for other moms who have used it to prevent preterm labor. This will be my third baby and although the shots are uncomfortable her little life is more important to me than that. I am taking the new makena auto injectors so no shot in butt or hip ladies just in the arm so its supposedly less painful."

3rd times a charm May 16, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "Currently 35 weeks pregnant with my third child and just stopped receiving the injections. My second daughter was born at 33 weeks due to spontaneous premature rupture of membranes. I would say these shots have been effective. My side effects were present for the first 10 weeks or so, they included: pain and swelling, bruising, itchiness, headaches, and light headedness. My husband is active duty and we have Tricare. Each time I called to refill a prescription I was quoted $0 and told the medication was 100% covered by the pharmacy. Now that I am finished with the injections the pharmacy is saying I owe thousands and there is a pending investigation to see if I will be responsible for payment or not. Either way I'm glad I did these injections because no price is worth risking your child's health. So overall this was a great and effective medicine with mild side effects, but if you go through Accredo Pharmacy you will likely be scammed."

Kit (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "Started using makena since 16 weeks so far I've been lucky have not had any type of symptoms. I'm 36 weeks waiting to get my last shot this week."

Liz (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: "I suffered from premature rupture of membranes my first pregnancy. My water broke at 16 weeks bed rest till 26 weeks when they just couldn't stop the labor she was coming either way. Miya was born 4lbs and died 5 hours later. I am currently pregnant with her sister MILA and I started makena injections at 16 weeks I am 32 weeks today NO ISSUES! I am scheduled to take my last injection at 36 weeks and 3 days. My insurance covered the entire time thank goodess. My side effects were slight itching and pain at then injection site."

MIYA (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for : "Preterm premature rupture of the membranes (PPROM) at 15weeks 3days. No pain, bleeding, or contractions and still closed, thick and high cervix. 24 hrs hospital observations, and sent home on bed rest for 7 weeks. Went in for first weekly checkup at exactly 16 weeks and everything was great until nurse aid came in and gave Makena injection before consulting with my doctor who hasn't even come in yet. Immediately baby stopped moving. Doctor came in did ultrasound and no longer a heartbeat! Makena injections killed my baby because his sac was ruptured and it was too strong for him. Please if you are already ruptured, full or partial do not take Makena. Makena is a great med for preventing pPROM and prom. If I have another baby, I will be sure to only take Makena shots if water hasn't already broken."

Ebony (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018