User Reviews for Hydroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Makena

Premature Labor   6.7

Reviews for Hydroxyprogesterone

NP February 24, 2021

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “Well I was open to using Maquina as directed by my OB due to preterm labor with my first child at 35 weeks. I started the auto injector and immediately had severe pain with radiating symptoms into my elbow. The pain was deep and I could hardly move my elbow it’s swelled up so much on day three or four from the injection. I never really had significant site reaction until injections two through four. I handled the second and third injection much better and thought I was improving in my tolerability of this medication, just some arm soreness along the back of the arm that lasted about a week. Then, my fourth injection was terrible. I had significant itching and a flareup of rash/ hives/ swelling on both posterior arms. I decided the misery was enough, my stress and discomfort and poor sleep were likely causing more distress on this pregnancy then the potential benefit of the injection. So I stopped it!”

dd February 5, 2021

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “So last Thursday I had gotten my Makena and yesterday I got it once again. This time it is so different from my first time getting it. I'm having such a hard time to walk. I'm so over it and it is barely the start. I'm going to tell my doctor about it. These symptoms are horrible, I'm weak from all over my body. I have a headache, I just feel very drowsy my first born came at 36 weeks and 1 day but he's so healthy so theres no need for me to do this . I'm done..”

Cait · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2021

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “Makena is amazing . Yes the cost is outrageous but they worked with me to come up with a really good plan to pay way less. I hate the arm shots I would prefer the hip shots 10 times over the arm. My son came at 31 weeks five days due to prom. I started Makena with my second pregnancy and she came at 36 and 6 days !!! My sister also had an amazing experience with it and so did other preemie moms that I personally know ! Please do not take this off the market. What other drug do you have to keep babies in ???”

Yannabby · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2021

For Premature Labor: “I’m currently 22 weeks with my third child . My first was delivered at 24 weeks and my 2nd at 33 with the buttocks Makena injection. This go around I am using the auto injection in the back of my arm. I don’t know why they switched me but I only had two shots so far and yes it is painful. It’s really the after pain for me. I also experience real bad stomach pains as in stomach knots that causes me to go to the bathroom resulting in diarrhea. I’m trying to at least make it to 33 weeks before stopping but the stomach pains are really hard to bare. I’m hoping to switch back to the buttock shots because I don’t remember having these complications. I’m sure the shot is effective it’s just the side effects makes it hard to bare .”

Theophania · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2020

For Premature Labor: “I had a 34 week baby, 29 week baby . My 34 week was preeclampsia and 29 was premature Membrane rupture. My Dr advised me to take these. My insurance is making me do them on my own. My husband has a heavy hand on to of the injection, leaving a golf ball sized lump on my arm and it itches terrible, I have tiny holes in both my arms. Last night had to call 911. My heart rate was 161 and they said that I'm not the only person who this happened too, I am trying to take it until I'm 32 weeks 6 days. I am sick 5 out if 7 days a week..dizzy passing out, my diarrhea is so bad. I thought my water broke when I sneezed, no it was poop, like water that slid out my bum . I am not saying this will happen to everyone. I am 24 weeks and I'm trying not to quit but I feel awful.”

Anad · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “I lost twins at 24 weeks. My second pregnancy I had my daughter at 31 weeks, so my OB suggested Makena for this pregnancy. I started the auto injector shots in the back of my arm at 17 weeks and will be 36 weeks tomorrow. I definitely think they are the reason I have made it this far in pregnancy. The shots are painful but honestly the pain doesn’t last long. It’s a burning sensation. I had some itchiness at the shot site a few days after but nothing unbearable. I would totally recommend them. I know they are expensive, but I am lucky that we have good insurance that covers the price.”

AS August 19, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “The cost is outrageous. I have paid so much for this drug and it used to be available for way cheaper. I don't know how drug companies are able to keep doing this to people. It's also very hard to navigate insurance with some of the specialty pharmacies, I have spent many afternoons on the phone trying to sort it all out. Besides all of that, I dealt with burning, lumping and a rash at the injection site for 14 weeks. I decided to stop after 31 weeks because I was becoming very depressed and dealing with a lot of anxiety. I was also admitted for preterm labor at 28 weeks and have had to be on procardia. I have had daily contractions since 22 weeks and I do believe the Makena has helped my cervix ripen slower. I just can't do it anymore. I even have scarring from the rashes. The shot takes up to 17 days to wear off (depending on source), so I will be good through 33 weeks and my baby has already had steroid shots. I would not do these again. I would rather do vaginal suppositories.”

OCMama89 May 29, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “My OBGYN recommended to take Makena. Starting at 16 weeks I started my Makena shots, I had an adverse reaction to the injections, as many stated, site injection, itching, burning, and swelling that lasted a about a week, on top of drowsiness, and next day pelvic pain that caused me inability to walk. I continued to take the injections for a total of 4 injections, after each injection, I would have the same reaction sleeping almost the entire day and pelvic pain unable to walk the next day. At 18 weeks, I was hospitalized for severe pain, but fetus was growing normal, 19 weeks spoke to ob about the side effects and she said she never heard of this complaint yet. I called their customer service line and Amax pharmaceuticals and they also have never heard of these reported side effects. So I will no longer be taking makena, as it is causing my body more harm than good.”

Anonymous May 28, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “Current price is just an outrageous and a pure greed. There is no doubt that HP helps but at that price I fear that many will risk taking the chances by not using it. I remember when I prescribed the usage at $12 for five shots. What happened?”

KayLee · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “For the first pregnancy I had a pre-term labor, I started taking progesterone vaginal pills, this time around I decided to go with the Makena shots, I was super scared of how much it would hurt, I had my first shot today, the shot itself wasn’t so bad but the after hurts. It’s almost like a pulsing pain that comes and goes every couple mins. I noticed when air hit my arm it hurts more. It’s been about an hour since my shot & I still have bad pain. Hopefully this helps someone like me that was curious on the pain of the shot itself.”

Luckehduckeh February 27, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “After two pregnancies that ended in loss at 24 weeks, my doctor did a cerclage at 12 weeks and started me on Makena injection at 16 weeks. I got it in the hip and if it is done right and injected slowly, the pain is not as bad as when it isn't. I seriously cried on some of those because the pain was so bad. I finally remembered what nurses were the best and requested them. The pregnancy that I had the cerclage and injections lasted until almost 36 weeks before I ended up with preeclampsia. I'm pregnant with my final baby and have had a cerclage placed again and my makena shots just arrived today. They are the auto injection ones though and quite intimidating. I start them next week. I don't really care if they say it is effective or not, there have been millions of women who have taken this shot and it prolonged their pregnancy. This is a shot to help prolong pregnancy, not cure premature birth all together and sometimes, you body has other plans regardless of what you try to do.”

Lyss February 20, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “My first pregnancy was with my daughter who was born at 25 weeks weighing at 1lb12oz with a brain bleed, MRSA, and yeast infection. She is a healthy happy 8 yr old now (I thank God everyday) My son was born at 32wks weighing 3lb 15oz. He was perfectly healthy though, in the NICU for 3weeks, which was amazing compared to his sister who spent 4 months. I started the injections at 19weeks, I am at 23 weeks now. I know I can make it to 32 weeks without the injections, just praying I can make it to 36 weeks. I get the injections in my hip (I am a little lady) so far my cervix is measuring perfectly, unlike the other two. I do not get the bumps, itchiness, burning, etc symptoms like lost people I have read. My hip is sore for a couple days, that’s it. I soak in a warm bath, then have hubby rub my hip very lightly to get the fluid moving around. That seems to help tremendously!!! Good luck and sending prayers for you other mommas out there in the same boat and for healthy babies!!!!”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “My first baby my son I gave birth to him at 35 &5 he was 5 pounds & 11ounces, supposed to be due in March but came in February he had to stay in the NICU for 2 weeks. I am currently pregnant now with a girl and I started to get my shots done at 21-22 weeks because my insurance took forever to get back but when I got them in my buttocks, yes it hurt a little and it did sting a little but I think any shot you get is gonna do that, after a while I was fine...no lumps, no bruising, no pain. I reached 36 weeks with no problems my daughter is moving all around and she is right where she's supposed to be on weight, and size. My last appointment my doctor checked my cervix and it wasn't dilated yet but my cervix was soft, I have a appointment coming up this Thursday to see if she's head down still and if there is any change in my cervix, we are waiting for labor and can't be more excited.”

Jackie · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “I started the Makena auto injector at 18 weeks. I get it in my hip and alternate sides weekly. My husband administers the shots because I couldn't go to the office every week for this long. Placement is key with getting it not to burn like heck. If it's more than an inch or so off, it burns so bad! I do have lots of lumps at the injection sites and they itch even 2-3 weeks after getting it. I had my first baby at 39 weeks, and my 2nd was IUGR and I had her at 36 weeks and 2 days so this time around, my OB prescribed the Makena injections. Today marks 36 weeks 2 days into this pregnancy and as of yesterday, I am 2cm dilated and 80% effaced and baby is at 0 station which means his head is VERY low. I definitely think the progesterone has helped with keeping him cooking as long as he has been.”

Kris-Rose97 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2020

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “So far so great. When I was pregnant with my first son I went in at 24 weeks to find out my cervix was opening. They said I had an incompetent cervix . So I ended up in the Hospital for a month then at 28 weeks they sent me home cuz nothing changed. At 30 weeks i went back in with contractions and was 3 cm dilated. I ended up in the Hospital for another month and finally gave birth to my son at 36 weeks. When I got pregnant again I was so worried . My doctor put me on the Makena injections at 16 weeks and began doing cervical length ultrasounds every 2 weeks . I am now at 28 weeks .....my cervix is the picture of perfection and I'm so happy!!!!! I get the injections above my butt ...and they do hurt like anything. And the shot sight itches a lot. But its honestly worth it if I can stay pregnant for at least 10 more weeks . So... fingers crossed ”

Mads · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “Started taking Makena at 16 weeks stoped just the other day at 36 I now feel like I may be experiencing labor pains. I had my son at 36 weeks, 6 days I now with this pregnancy I'm 36 weeks and 3 days. But I am little upset and worried about side effects they do not know what cause things like autism it could even be a genetic thing. Don't scare moms and says it's a danger when you don't know yourself.”

Bb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 21, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “Last year I had a still born when I was close to 6 months due to stress. This time my doctors advised the makena shot to keep me from having a preterm labor. On top of everything else I was taking all precautions to have a safe pregnancy. Now I'm 34 weeks and 3 days the makena has been helping tremendously. I receive my shots in the back of my arms, when its injected it does feel like alcohol on an open wound. In the beginning the shots did itch and swell a lot but the trick is if you don't scratch it will go away. As you get further in the itchiness is a lot tough to deal with but I apply aveeno anti itch creams to the back of my arms after I bathe and I honestly don't feel the itching anymore”

Yoyo December 19, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “I had a premature baby at 24 weeks old. He survived. Now I am currently stoping Makena last week. I am currently 37 weeks n 4 days. I believe Makena really does work. The only side effect I had was my urine was very strong for a couple days, and the shots do sting and hurt for a couple hours. I had the shots from 16 to 36 weeks. I highly recommend the Makena shots.”

Jessica · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “I had 3 premature births all between 32 and 34 weeks so when I recently got pregnant with my 4th child which was a boy my doctor advised me to start the makena injections without telling me the pros or cons. Well at 21 weeks I went into the hospital and had a still born baby and honestly believe it from the injections to many hormones being injected into my body. If I would have known more about these shots I would have never started them, they left me sore and crampy. It might work for some women but not all.”

candy December 4, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “i started receiving the shot at 16 weeks I’m currently 31 weeks 4 days I had my first son prematurely at 32 weeks. I got the shot injection in the side of my hip and it caused a lump and was itchy the next day or two I felt dizzy, blurred vision felt like I was going to pass out. I was weak and also was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with this pregnancy which my dr failed to let me know the side effects this shot causes. I would strongly read the information paper the bottle comes with before you inject it.”

Jo · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “I had my 1st baby at 33 weeks. With my 2nd they recommended the shots. I started getting the shorts early on about 16 weeks. I went into labor at 29 weeks after receiving the shots, thankfully they stopped it and continued the shots and other meds to stop labor and then went back into labor at 35 weeks and nothing was stopped at that point. I am now pregnant again with my 3rd and I am 15 weeks and just found out how expensive it will be to get the shots again (that did not work for me in past). I think I am going to pass this time since it did not work for me previously and have faith that this one will stay in until at least 36 weeks. I am being monitored this time for the length of my cervix so I will just hope everything stays long and closed :)”

Jan · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “I had my baby at 34 weeks and 6 days. I was told to take Makena with baby number 2, due April 2, 2020. I started taking them with bumps, redness, and now itchiness. It hurts, but contractions hurt more ;) Anything for the safety of my baby boy. I went in for my 20 week ultrasound today, and my hi-risk ob said a new study came out 2 weeks ago stating that Makena does not work and those not taking it shouldn't. I've only had 3 shots so far and they recommended I stay away from it because of the discomfort. If the study finds that it does not reduce premature labor, there is no point in me taking them. I'll follow-up with a post baby post to share when he actually came vs. with my daughter for those still questioning. Google "FDA Advisory Board Votes to Recommend Withdrawing Progesterone Therapy for Preterm Birth" to find article”

Roxann · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “Last year I gave birth to a 21 week preterm baby girl. She only lived for an hour and a half. I am currently pregnant at 23 weeks and my doctor has me taking Makena. The injections hurt but I'm hoping for a good healthy pregnancy this time.”

Benedicta · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “My 4th child (son) is 2.5yrs and he has been displaying autistic symptoms. I am now wondering if this is due to Makena. As much as we are grateful to have him in our lives, people need to know of the inherent dangers.”

Hilow · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

Makena (hydroxyprogesterone) for Premature Labor: “I just started the Makena shots last week at 16 weeks and so far I haven’t experienced any depression or crazy symptoms I’ve read. My arm does hurt for days after the shot and the medicine is freaking painful but the needle itself does hurt lol. I had my son at 35 weeks so if this will just help me a few more weeks it’ll be great. I start doing them on my own next week and I’m super nervous about it since my first nurse hurt me and my second didny so she must’ve done something right”