User Reviews for Makena

Premature Labor 20 reviews 15 medications

7.6
Summary of Makena reviews 20 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Makena

For Premature Labor "I delivered my first child at 36 weeks after having preterm labor at 29 weeks. I had a partial amniotic rupture with that preterm labor and I was dilated to a 4 when they finally stopped the contractions. I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with my second child, and I have been on weekly Makena injections since week 16. I began having closely spaced contractions yesterday and went to my local hospital. My cervix was still closed, but the frequency of the contractions and the lack of their response to the Magnesium bolus caused them to send me by ambulance to a more prepared hospital in a larger city. I'm home today and not in the hospital. I know it's because of the Makena shots! Without them my cervix would have been dilating no doubt."

CoriRae (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

For Premature Labor "I had a short cervix which caused me to deliver early. So at the beginning of this pregnancy my Dr offered Makena. She said if i was even thinking about it i should go ahead and start the process so by 16 weeks everything would be ready to go.FYI i started shots at 17 weeks. The injections only hurt if i didn't relax my mussels which was only twice. We alternated sides every week. I am now 37 weeks and 4days no baby yet but i had false labor after 36 weeks. It worked gteat for me! Thanks Makena"

Mrs Booker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2016

For Premature Labor "Delivered my first child at 28weeks n 4 days...she lived 2 b 7weeks n died after that....2nd pregnancy Dr recommend shots from 16weeks up 2 36weeks well I'm proud 2 say I made it 2 36weeks moral of the story is shots may be painful but it works.....thank god I get 2 take this 1 hm"

kee912 November 10, 2016

For Premature Labor "I had my 1st daughter at 33 wks & 3 days due to "unknown". I had no issues during the pregnancy and it was easy. I'm now pregnant with my 2nd daughter and went into pre term labor at 32 & 4 days, they were able to stop the contractions and have given me the steroid shots. I am currently 4.5 cm dilated with minor contractions throughout the day....I'm 34 & 5 days ATM. I think makena has taken me farther but I have had a lot of my pain from the injections that shoot down my leg into my foot periodically, not the same day I get the shot. If I had to I would take Makena again."

It's Working so far (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2016

For Premature Labor "I was told that many women have taken this and it works. It was my first trying it at 18 weeks. My ob told me it helps to make you stay pregnant longer. I took it Monday. The following Monday came, I ended up in the hospital with a rupture membrane. I lost my baby Tuesday. There really isn't any data backing it up, but please make sure you check your cervix before taking the shot. It sad to say but it was my only one shot. I regret it."

Vue (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

For Premature Labor "I gave birth to my son at exactly 34 weeks because my water broke at 33 weeks. I had early contractions with him and he spent a while in NICU. I got pregnant with my daughter when my son was just 7 weeks and got the Makena injection from 16 weeks until 33 weeks and ended up having my daughter at 37 weeks. It definitely helps. Technically it doesnt help with preterm water breakage, but it does help with preterm contractions and early labor. The shot doesn't hurt when is injected but hurts for a couple days afterwards sometimes, make sure you tell the nurse or doctor to alternate hips. Good luck ladies"

VannahZoe14 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2016

For Premature Labor "I had my first baby at 34 weeks. Took the shot with my second and I am 38 weeks. I had itching where I was injected after the shot but n side effects other than that. I would recommend the shot and I am happy I did it."

Shellsue August 27, 2016

For Premature Labor "Still delivered prematurely at 29 weeks! The injections were painful and the side effects were terrible. It's unfortunate that Makena is so expensive and ineffective."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

For Premature Labor "I work at an OB/GYN office and take care of all the Makena referrals!!! This company is so SLOW!! the FDA really screwed up when they took Compounded 17OHP off the market!!!! Its takes at least 6 weeks from start to finish to complete this process. Multiple phone calls to Makena, Specialty Pharm, Patient's insurance, and the patient take place during this time along with MULTIPLE faxes and notes in the chart. It's to the point where our office needs to hire someone to just do this all day. Makena needs to be given started at 16 weeks, but it is well after 22 weeks before our patients are getting injections, by this time most of our patients have already delivered their previous babies...which was not a good outcome."

Hating Makena Company July 14, 2016

For Premature Labor "4 years ago my 1st pregnancy i went into preterm labor at 26 weeks. this year I have been on makena since 17 weeks I'm now 37 weeks with no shots left I've made it :-) I was worried at first but have nothing negative to say and if your doctor recommends this for you I say do it and don't forget prayers ....."

hafssa June 28, 2016

For Premature Labor "I have been on makena since 16 weeks due to a pre mature labor 8 years ago I'm now 34 weeks with two shots left to go I've made it :-) I was worried at first but have nothing negative to say and if your doctor recommends this for you I say do it!!"

MBChloe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

For Premature Labor "Well my 1st pregnancy i went into preterm labor at 31 weeks. I had my baby at 32 weeks. I had a placenta abruption. Im pregnant again been taking the shots since 16 weeks and im 35 weeks today with one more shot to go. Makena has helped me. I never had contraction. And guess what im still not dilated. So glad i wont have another baby fighting for there life."

Celineypooh96 June 8, 2016

For Premature Labor "I was basically force to take Makena injection because my daughter was born at 29weeks. And I am soo happy to give this medicine a try. I hope it works. I will take 36 weeks Before 29weeks any day.. 36weeks your baby is not fighting for her life. My baby was fighting for her life.. This medicine makes me feel fine.. It hurts for that owe day where the injection is, I feel my daughter kicking and moving soo much.. I'm not sure if its coming from the shot, I don't remember my first born Being so active at 22weeks, But hey she is turning 8 in march.. I recommend you take this medicine. This only my 4th shot. And I'm praying Everything go be okay ' on top of the side effects. With Harming my daughter ect.. You never know what Can happen.."

niqki February 25, 2016

For Premature Labor "I was pretty much forced into trying this injection because I have history of premature labor. I did it every week same day of the week for 6 months and I still went into labor at 36weeks same as my son without the injection. It made my bones hurt like I had arthritis and I felt weak. I wouldn't suggest this for anyone. It did nothing for me. And I was worried what it did do to my baby if it didn't help at all."

mface (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2016

For Premature Labor "I went into preterm labor with my second at 34 weeks had him at 35. For unknown reason. My obgyn offered the mekena injection. Boy it hurt my nurses found out the higher the shot in the hip toward the spin the better. I wouldn't feel a thing. It did make me feel sick. I am more happier. I am now at 36 weeks and getting my last injection. We shall see. But it's expensive if insurance doesn't cover. Thank goodness mine did. Also trips once a week since 16 weeks pregnant , that's a huge down. But she is healthy and I soon will hold her in my arms."

Sam mom of cdh survivor January 17, 2016

For Premature Labor "I started Mekena at week 16 after my Dr recommended it d/t my history of pre term labor at 33 and 35 weeks where my water would break for unknown reasons. I am a healthy woman I do not drink or smoke. I took this injection for 19 weeks and experienced headaches and pain/bruising/itching at the injection site. I made it to 34 weeks and my water broke in the morning while I was getting ready for work. 19 weeks of dealing with this pain and not to mention the hefty price tag and my baby is still in the NICU. MEKENA DID NOT WORK FOR ME!!"

Regena///31 August 24, 2015

For Premature Labor "My first baby was born at 31 weeks due to placental abruption. My doctor recommended Makena injections with my second pregnancy. I took the injections until 36 weeks. My only side effect was pain and itching at the injection site for several days after the shot. I had contractions at 34 weeks but did not dilate. Started having signs of labor a week after my last shot and delivered at 37 1/2 weeks."

Sweets14 June 18, 2015

For Premature Labor "So far I got two shots of this Makena. And you ladies are right that the shot in the butt really hurt and in my case stays painfull till I have to get the other shots. But so far I am not feeling any negative side effects yet. We will see and I will update you on what else going to happen. So far everything Is good and hopefully I won't have my baby till it's due date. My first baby was premature. After receiving the shot for some reasons I never felt more beautiful I feel that my skin is healthier than ever. Again I am not sure if it's because of Makena but that's just how I feel now."

Alexa Emily September 14, 2014

For Premature Labor "This is an awesome medicine. I am so happy to have been able to use in pregnancy. I was on it from 20 weeks to 36..they say 12 days after you stop the shot you go into labor, that was true for me as well. This is the only medication that helped me complete a pregnancy. It's awesome! Yes the shot in the butt hurts and you stay sore about 4 days. But it was totally worth it."

rebelsunset (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2014

For Premature Labor "Used progesterone suppositories four years earlier and it did not prevent premature labor. The liquid form, Makena, did prevent it. Just use ice to numb the muscle before the shot. Highly recommend."

Felicia216 January 25, 2014