User Reviews for Makena

Premature Labor 41 reviews 15 medications

7.4
Summary of Makena reviews 41 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Makena

For Premature Labor "Today is my first day taking the shot. I feel nauseous weak and the place where they gave me the shot hurts and I took it @9 this morning and it's already 4pm. Is it normal to feel depressed or cry for no reason during pregnancy. I had a baby 4 years ago whom passed away due to a cervix being thin had her at 20 weeks and now I'm pregnant with my second child and I'm 16 weeks. I hope everything goes well and I stop feeling like this"

Nikki hill September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had my second child at 35 week. My insurance told me that the Makena shot will help me not to have a premature baby the shot hurt a lot and it's burn every time I took it. I started taking it at 20 weeks pregnant I had my baby at 29 weeks my water broke early. So I believe the Makena shot didn't work for me I really regret taking it it's was a waste of money for my insurance to pay for now my baby is in the NICU she's doing fine but if I ever get pregnant again I'm not taking the Makena shot ever again it doesn't work"

Gigico99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had to preterm deliveries. My son at 35 weeks, with prom at 34 w & was NICU baby 2 weeks, almost 17 yrs ago. My daughter almost 8 yrs ago was 35 w 6 d, but was good to come home. My doctor recommended makena, even though I felt it wasn't super necessary since both my kids were not micro preemie. However, I was willing to try it, I experienced small side effects from shot. I am now 38 weeks today with a baby girl. My last shot was at 34 weeks. Was supposed to go until 36 week, but read many women had to get induced past their due date . I am glad I stopped taking the injection when I read about it because I didn't like the fact my body not going into natural labor. I am regretful of taking this drug, possibly looking at an unnatural induction."

Queen_LiLi (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I took this drug from 20-35 weeks because I gave birth to a premie 11years ago-unknown reasons. I'll refuse this drug in future pregnancies, the fact that the makena keeps the baby in longer isn't enough for me to say it worked or didn't. There is no specific information on how this drug works. It will make you feel weird sometimes crazy, angry, and super tired. It messes with your blood sugars and for me caused gestational diabetes, I ate extremely well and exericize yet somehow developed GD? The diet is ridiculously frustrating, one day I had enough and ate whatever I wanted, to my surprise my numbers were normal it was then I found the longer I went without the drug the more my sugars regulated."

Okokokokokno August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had spontaneous premature labor with my first pregnancy, and delivered my son at 30 weeks 1 day after a two days of attempts to stop my labor. I received the makena injection beginning at 19 weeks during my second pregnancy, and received my last shot at 35 weeks 5 days, I believe. I had my daughter 8 days later at 36 weeks 6 days, so almost what is considered full term. I'm currently pregnant with my third, and began the injections at 19 weeks again this time. I'm 35 weeks now, and as of last week my cervix was still high and closed. I've not had any side effects from the shots other than injection site reactions a few times, such as some itching, swelling, and a lump/knot. My overall experience has been good, definitely worth it!"

Kitkat51212 August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I'm I gave birth to my daughter at 34 weeks for completely unknown reasons. The drs where so set on me agreeing to take makena that when I asked about possible side effects I was told their really aren't side effects. I was scheduled for a shot today but am completely refusing to allow my drs to continue with this treatment. The side effects are terrible! The shots are painful and you'll be tender for days. I also had a ton of fatigue while taking them, but the worst is the moodiness and depression. After just a few short weeks of taking makena my emotional state has become so poor that it is safer and healthier for both myself and my baby to not continue Makena. I would recommend for expecting mothers to steer clear of Makena."

Sblount1993 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had my son 3 months early and almost lost him and was on pills every 3 hours to stop preterm labor, lost a son at 20 weeks preg due to him being to small to make it when my water broke, sat in the hospital for 3 months taking those pills every 3 hours With one daughter and a constant in drip of magnesium to have her at almost term, then when my husband and I got pregnant again we were concerned, they mentioned the Makena injection but it would go in upper buttocks every 7 days ..I tried it in hopes it would work and sure enough I had her on my scheduled due date with out one complication or preterm labor symptoms , now pregnant with our last child, which I again did the Makena and am at 39 weeks without complications! Love Mackena!"

Mamabear87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had two of my boys at 34 wks and one at 29 wks. I started with Makena injections at 16wks for this pregnancy had last injection last week 36wks. I'm so exicted I'm now 37 wks pregnant and still going been having some contraction but not to frequent. Thanks to Makena for the first time not having a premie baby and if everything goes well I will finally get the experience of taking my baby home with me instead of leaving them at NICU. Waiting to meet my baby girl scheduled for c section 07/21/17. My insurance covered it but had a very high co payment ,but thanks to copayment assistance I only had to pay 25dls out of pocket once a month."

Mariasally July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "Had my first at 32 weeks. She was in the NICU for almost 2 months. Ultimately we decided to try again. My doctor started me on the Makena shots at 16 weeks. The shot itself didn't hurt going in because I would make the nurse pinch my arm. It burned going in a little. In the beginning I had site reaction of swelling, warmth, itchiness, and sometimes soreness like I was punched in the arm. Around the halfway point that all went away. I did experience some dizziness, nauseaousness, and fatigue, but now that I'm down to my last 3 shots no side effects. Also I recommend alternating arms. It hurts less than hips. Makena care connection is avail. If you can't afford."

MayRanger4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "My first child was born at 30 weeks, so Makena was highly recommended when I became pregnant the second time. I started taking it when I was 16 weeks along. Have to say, the shot really did not hurt. I also had no side effects. I made it to 37 weeks with my second, it was great! Only downfall to the drug is cost; I was so lucky my insurance fully covered it. Wonderful drug, worth the trouble of getting it every week to not have another preemie."

Kricker May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I used makena during my pregnancy and also had a cervical stitch put in at 17 weeks had a healthy baby girl would totally recommend it to any one in a high risk pregnancy☺. Just wondering if any one else who has used the injection experienced irregular period's lasting a lot longer than you had anticipated?"

missMarissa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had my first baby at 30 weeks. When I got pregnant the second time, my doctor recommended the Makena shots that I took weekly for about three months. Yet, I still gave birth at 30 weeks as my first pregnancy. It did not work for me . The shots were painful and so expensive, Prime Specialty Pharmacy was billing the insurance company about $3500 for each 4 shots " shipment they call it". I personally would not recommend it. Had I known what I know now, I would have left it in god's hand."

Birk May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had three kids full term, decided after 14 years from my youngest to have another and at the age of 43 had complications. Cervix was thin and had to have a Cerclage (cervical stitch) due to contractions and length of the cervix at 20 weeks. Started Makena the week after, made the mistake of reading the posts here and prepared myself for painful injections. It was quiet the opposite half of the time I didn't feel a thing, and I'm now on my 29 week and going strong."

Baby Aoife (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had my daughter back in 2012 at 35 weeks, and my son at 32 weeks in 2014. Both pregnancy my water broke and they couldn't stop the contractions. For this pregnancy I been on makena since week 17 and I stopped at 33 weeks because the pain in my hips from the shot wouldn't let me walk for two days after each shot. I'm happy because today I'm 37 weeks and going strong. I have my c section schedule for the 29 of May.Thanks thanks Makena. I recommend makena 200%."

Paolamuracle #3 May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "Had my first baby at 32 weeks and with my second baby I started the shots at 19 weeks with my Dr's I am pleased to say I'm 38 weeks with pregnancy and couldn't be happier with how the shots went. They are painful but it was worth it to know in not going to deliver baby in the Nicu or have to worry about how small she will be as I did with my first... I would love to tell any mother that has the option to use the shots to do so!!"

Kayray (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "My oldest was born at 24 weeks due to unexplained preterm labor. We spent 112 days in the NICU with him and he is wonderfully thriving - now. When discussing a sibling, we reviewed all the risks with our doctor. She recommended Makena. We were lucky to have my insurance approve the cost without a fight. Guess they weighed the cost of a lengthy NICU stay to the cost of the shots. We started Makena at 16 weeks and continued them to 36 weeks. The shots themselves stung a bit, but was easily managed. My only real side effects were headaches the day of, a little nausea, and some back pain the day after. My pregnancy went to 39 weeks and I was induced due to my advanced maternal age."

Mom0409 (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "My first was born at 29 weeks and 2 days. (my water broke spontaneously, full rupture and dr couldn't stop the contractions) He had to stay in the level 3 NICU for approximately 2 months. I'm certain i had preeclampsia but went undiagnosed. This pregnancy I started the shots at 16 weeks and I'm now a happy 35 weeks exactly today. My bp is running high this pregnancy but haven't had any severe swelling. I was recently admitted to L&D for 1 day due to my NST results and some contractions but I had no dilation. After tomorrow I only have 1 more shot to go! I feel that without the shots I wouldive delivered by now. According to my doctor and the nurse caring for me the average delivery time frame is between 37 and 38 weeks."

Lena0106 March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "Today I got my 1st and I'm not hurting at the injection site but I'm feeling my uterus tight ..I'm nervous"

Sherie88 February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "First pregnancy 6 years ago my water broke at 30 weeks delivered he had to stay in nicu for 2 weeks. Second pregnancy three years ago my water broke at 26 weeks stayed in hospital had him at 29 weeks . Third pregnancy I miscarried. This pregnancy I started the shots at 16 weeks I made it to 29 weeks and still counting if it wasn't for this shot I'd probably already would have the baby .. I am so thankful that I was giving this medicine ya it hurts but it is total worth it!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I went into labor with my first daughter at 24weeks pregnant, and had her when I was 26 weeks. (She is now a smart & healthy 4 year old). I'm taking these injections since I was 20 weeks pregnant and now made it to my 3rd trimester (29weeks) and couldn't be happier knowing I have a little way left and how I'm feeling so great! "

Kgarcia99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I went into labor at 24 weeks with my first child and she was born at 27 weeks. I started taking Makena when I was 16 weeks pregnant with my second child. My last injection was at 36 weeks and I thought for sure he would be born soon after because of my history. He was 3 days overdue, and probably would have stayed put a few days longer if my doctor hadn't broke my water. I'm currently taking Makena again for my third child and am 31 weeks. Braxton Hicks seem intense this time around, but I'm still confident I've got some time left... and we've already made it a month longer than my first :)"

MahoneyA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I delivered my first child at 36 weeks after having preterm labor at 29 weeks. I had a partial amniotic rupture with that preterm labor and I was dilated to a 4 when they finally stopped the contractions. I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with my second child, and I have been on weekly Makena injections since week 16. I began having closely spaced contractions yesterday and went to my local hospital. My cervix was still closed, but the frequency of the contractions and the lack of their response to the Magnesium bolus caused them to send me by ambulance to a more prepared hospital in a larger city. I'm home today and not in the hospital. I know it's because of the Makena shots! Without them my cervix would have been dilating no doubt."

CoriRae (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had a short cervix which caused me to deliver early. So at the beginning of this pregnancy my Dr offered Makena. She said if i was even thinking about it i should go ahead and start the process so by 16 weeks everything would be ready to go.FYI i started shots at 17 weeks. The injections only hurt if i didn't relax my mussels which was only twice. We alternated sides every week. I am now 37 weeks and 4days no baby yet but i had false labor after 36 weeks. It worked gteat for me! Thanks Makena"

Mrs Booker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "Delivered my first child at 28weeks n 4 days...she lived 2 b 7weeks n died after that....2nd pregnancy Dr recommend shots from 16weeks up 2 36weeks well I'm proud 2 say I made it 2 36weeks moral of the story is shots may be painful but it works.....thank god I get 2 take this 1 hm"

kee912 November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had my 1st daughter at 33 wks & 3 days due to "unknown". I had no issues during the pregnancy and it was easy. I'm now pregnant with my 2nd daughter and went into pre term labor at 32 & 4 days, they were able to stop the contractions and have given me the steroid shots. I am currently 4.5 cm dilated with minor contractions throughout the day....I'm 34 & 5 days ATM. I think makena has taken me farther but I have had a lot of my pain from the injections that shoot down my leg into my foot periodically, not the same day I get the shot. If I had to I would take Makena again."

It's Working so far (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2016