User Reviews for Makena

Premature Labor 31 reviews 15 medications

7.6
Summary of Makena reviews 31 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Makena

For Premature Labor "I used makena during my pregnancy and also had a cervical stitch put in at 17 weeks had a healthy baby girl would totally recommend it to any one in a high risk pregnancy☺. Just wondering if any one else who has used the injection experienced irregular period's lasting a lot longer than you had anticipated?"

missMarissa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I had my first baby at 30 weeks. When I got pregnant the second time, my doctor recommended the Makena shots that I took weekly for about three months. Yet, I still gave birth at 30 weeks as my first pregnancy. It did not work for me . The shots were painful and so expensive, Prime Specialty Pharmacy was billing the insurance company about $3500 for each 4 shots " shipment they call it". I personally would not recommend it. Had I known what I know now, I would have left it in god's hand."

Birk May 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I had three kids full term, decided after 14 years from my youngest to have another and at the age of 43 had complications. Cervix was thin and had to have a Cerclage (cervical stitch) due to contractions and length of the cervix at 20 weeks. Started Makena the week after, made the mistake of reading the posts here and prepared myself for painful injections. It was quiet the opposite half of the time I didn't feel a thing, and I'm now on my 29 week and going strong."

Baby Aoife (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I had my daughter back in 2012 at 35 weeks, and my son at 32 weeks in 2014. Both pregnancy my water broke and they couldn't stop the contractions. For this pregnancy I been on makena since week 17 and I stopped at 33 weeks because the pain in my hips from the shot wouldn't let me walk for two days after each shot. I'm happy because today I'm 37 weeks and going strong. I have my c section schedule for the 29 of May.Thanks thanks Makena. I recommend makena 200%."

Paolamuracle #3 May 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "Had my first baby at 32 weeks and with my second baby I started the shots at 19 weeks with my Dr's I am pleased to say I'm 38 weeks with pregnancy and couldn't be happier with how the shots went. They are painful but it was worth it to know in not going to deliver baby in the Nicu or have to worry about how small she will be as I did with my first... I would love to tell any mother that has the option to use the shots to do so!!"

Kayray (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "My oldest was born at 24 weeks due to unexplained preterm labor. We spent 112 days in the NICU with him and he is wonderfully thriving - now. When discussing a sibling, we reviewed all the risks with our doctor. She recommended Makena. We were lucky to have my insurance approve the cost without a fight. Guess they weighed the cost of a lengthy NICU stay to the cost of the shots. We started Makena at 16 weeks and continued them to 36 weeks. The shots themselves stung a bit, but was easily managed. My only real side effects were headaches the day of, a little nausea, and some back pain the day after. My pregnancy went to 39 weeks and I was induced due to my advanced maternal age."

Mom0409 (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "My first was born at 29 weeks and 2 days. (my water broke spontaneously, full rupture and dr couldn't stop the contractions) He had to stay in the level 3 NICU for approximately 2 months. I'm certain i had preeclampsia but went undiagnosed. This pregnancy I started the shots at 16 weeks and I'm now a happy 35 weeks exactly today. My bp is running high this pregnancy but haven't had any severe swelling. I was recently admitted to L&D for 1 day due to my NST results and some contractions but I had no dilation. After tomorrow I only have 1 more shot to go! I feel that without the shots I wouldive delivered by now. According to my doctor and the nurse caring for me the average delivery time frame is between 37 and 38 weeks."

Lena0106 March 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "Today I got my 1st and I'm not hurting at the injection site but I'm feeling my uterus tight ..I'm nervous"

Sherie88 February 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "First pregnancy 6 years ago my water broke at 30 weeks delivered he had to stay in nicu for 2 weeks. Second pregnancy three years ago my water broke at 26 weeks stayed in hospital had him at 29 weeks . Third pregnancy I miscarried. This pregnancy I started the shots at 16 weeks I made it to 29 weeks and still counting if it wasn't for this shot I'd probably already would have the baby .. I am so thankful that I was giving this medicine ya it hurts but it is total worth it!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I went into labor with my first daughter at 24weeks pregnant, and had her when I was 26 weeks. (She is now a smart & healthy 4 year old). I'm taking these injections since I was 20 weeks pregnant and now made it to my 3rd trimester (29weeks) and couldn't be happier knowing I have a little way left and how I'm feeling so great! "

Kgarcia99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I went into labor at 24 weeks with my first child and she was born at 27 weeks. I started taking Makena when I was 16 weeks pregnant with my second child. My last injection was at 36 weeks and I thought for sure he would be born soon after because of my history. He was 3 days overdue, and probably would have stayed put a few days longer if my doctor hadn't broke my water. I'm currently taking Makena again for my third child and am 31 weeks. Braxton Hicks seem intense this time around, but I'm still confident I've got some time left... and we've already made it a month longer than my first :)"

MahoneyA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I delivered my first child at 36 weeks after having preterm labor at 29 weeks. I had a partial amniotic rupture with that preterm labor and I was dilated to a 4 when they finally stopped the contractions. I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with my second child, and I have been on weekly Makena injections since week 16. I began having closely spaced contractions yesterday and went to my local hospital. My cervix was still closed, but the frequency of the contractions and the lack of their response to the Magnesium bolus caused them to send me by ambulance to a more prepared hospital in a larger city. I'm home today and not in the hospital. I know it's because of the Makena shots! Without them my cervix would have been dilating no doubt."

CoriRae (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I had a short cervix which caused me to deliver early. So at the beginning of this pregnancy my Dr offered Makena. She said if i was even thinking about it i should go ahead and start the process so by 16 weeks everything would be ready to go.FYI i started shots at 17 weeks. The injections only hurt if i didn't relax my mussels which was only twice. We alternated sides every week. I am now 37 weeks and 4days no baby yet but i had false labor after 36 weeks. It worked gteat for me! Thanks Makena"

Mrs Booker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "Delivered my first child at 28weeks n 4 days...she lived 2 b 7weeks n died after that....2nd pregnancy Dr recommend shots from 16weeks up 2 36weeks well I'm proud 2 say I made it 2 36weeks moral of the story is shots may be painful but it works.....thank god I get 2 take this 1 hm"

kee912 November 10, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I had my 1st daughter at 33 wks & 3 days due to "unknown". I had no issues during the pregnancy and it was easy. I'm now pregnant with my 2nd daughter and went into pre term labor at 32 & 4 days, they were able to stop the contractions and have given me the steroid shots. I am currently 4.5 cm dilated with minor contractions throughout the day....I'm 34 & 5 days ATM. I think makena has taken me farther but I have had a lot of my pain from the injections that shoot down my leg into my foot periodically, not the same day I get the shot. If I had to I would take Makena again."

It's Working so far (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I was told that many women have taken this and it works. It was my first trying it at 18 weeks. My ob told me it helps to make you stay pregnant longer. I took it Monday. The following Monday came, I ended up in the hospital with a rupture membrane. I lost my baby Tuesday. There really isn't any data backing it up, but please make sure you check your cervix before taking the shot. It sad to say but it was my only one shot. I regret it."

Vue (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I gave birth to my son at exactly 34 weeks because my water broke at 33 weeks. I had early contractions with him and he spent a while in NICU. I got pregnant with my daughter when my son was just 7 weeks and got the Makena injection from 16 weeks until 33 weeks and ended up having my daughter at 37 weeks. It definitely helps. Technically it doesnt help with preterm water breakage, but it does help with preterm contractions and early labor. The shot doesn't hurt when is injected but hurts for a couple days afterwards sometimes, make sure you tell the nurse or doctor to alternate hips. Good luck ladies"

VannahZoe14 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I had my first baby at 34 weeks. Took the shot with my second and I am 38 weeks. I had itching where I was injected after the shot but n side effects other than that. I would recommend the shot and I am happy I did it."

Shellsue August 27, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "Still delivered prematurely at 29 weeks! The injections were painful and the side effects were terrible. It's unfortunate that Makena is so expensive and ineffective."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I work at an OB/GYN office and take care of all the Makena referrals!!! This company is so SLOW!! the FDA really screwed up when they took Compounded 17OHP off the market!!!! Its takes at least 6 weeks from start to finish to complete this process. Multiple phone calls to Makena, Specialty Pharm, Patient's insurance, and the patient take place during this time along with MULTIPLE faxes and notes in the chart. It's to the point where our office needs to hire someone to just do this all day. Makena needs to be given started at 16 weeks, but it is well after 22 weeks before our patients are getting injections, by this time most of our patients have already delivered their previous babies...which was not a good outcome."

Hating Makena Company July 14, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "4 years ago my 1st pregnancy i went into preterm labor at 26 weeks. this year I have been on makena since 17 weeks I'm now 37 weeks with no shots left I've made it :-) I was worried at first but have nothing negative to say and if your doctor recommends this for you I say do it and don't forget prayers ....."

hafssa June 28, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I have been on makena since 16 weeks due to a pre mature labor 8 years ago I'm now 34 weeks with two shots left to go I've made it :-) I was worried at first but have nothing negative to say and if your doctor recommends this for you I say do it!!"

MBChloe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "Well my 1st pregnancy i went into preterm labor at 31 weeks. I had my baby at 32 weeks. I had a placenta abruption. Im pregnant again been taking the shots since 16 weeks and im 35 weeks today with one more shot to go. Makena has helped me. I never had contraction. And guess what im still not dilated. So glad i wont have another baby fighting for there life."

Celineypooh96 June 8, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I was basically force to take Makena injection because my daughter was born at 29weeks. And I am soo happy to give this medicine a try. I hope it works. I will take 36 weeks Before 29weeks any day.. 36weeks your baby is not fighting for her life. My baby was fighting for her life.. This medicine makes me feel fine.. It hurts for that owe day where the injection is, I feel my daughter kicking and moving soo much.. I'm not sure if its coming from the shot, I don't remember my first born Being so active at 22weeks, But hey she is turning 8 in march.. I recommend you take this medicine. This only my 4th shot. And I'm praying Everything go be okay ' on top of the side effects. With Harming my daughter ect.. You never know what Can happen.."

niqki February 25, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premature Labor "I was pretty much forced into trying this injection because I have history of premature labor. I did it every week same day of the week for 6 months and I still went into labor at 36weeks same as my son without the injection. It made my bones hurt like I had arthritis and I felt weak. I wouldn't suggest this for anyone. It did nothing for me. And I was worried what it did do to my baby if it didn't help at all."

mface (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2016