User Reviews for Makena

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Makena.

Premature Labor
6.9

Summary of Makena reviews 6.9 50 reviews

Reviews for Makena

For Premature Labor "In May 2017 My doctor started me on these shots at eleven weeks pregnant. Two weeks after getting the shots my baby was found in my cervix dead and all my amniotic fluid was gone."

NickieP November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I got two shots and went into labor next week after I lost my son at 18 weeks n 5 days"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "In 2015, my water broke and I had my daughter at 35 weeks. Lucky she was just fine at 5 lbs 10 oz and came home with us. When I got pregnant with my son early this year, my OB recommend the Makena injection. I started the weekly injection at 16 weeks and continued it until 36 weeks. The shot was occasionally painful and sometimes I would have a itchy red bump at the injection site. My water broke 4 days after the last shot and I had my son when I was 36w6d. He was 7lbs 13 oz and was perfectly healthy. It is hard to tell if the Makena injection worked or not but if I wasn't on it, who knows, he may have came sooner so I am glad I decided to do the shot."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "After having 3 premature deliveries, my doctor recommended Makena with my 4th pregnancy. I started Makena in my 16th week of pregnancy and continued all the way until 36 weeks. I ended up being induced at 39 weeks. The shot really does work! It is a bit painful when the medicine goes in but icing the area before the shot is administered helps! Also - make sure to rub the area after the shot to reduce swelling to help the oil disperse. I wish I had the shot with all of my pregnancies!"

Sanela (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I began taking this@ 16 weeks and I have experienced blurred vision, water retention and most importantly, depression. It's beyond the norm of pregnancy hormones that are all over the place. I have mentioned it to my NP and she recommended Zoloft? I have PTSD and was on Zoloft years ago. I have been able to be med free after Zoloft and I feel like I have taken a giant step backwards with this medication. I am afraid to stop it and go into preterm ( 30 weeks) this is a hard choice. I don't like feeling like I'm crazy because I know I'm not :("

Cecilia F October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had been on makena since my 20 week so far it's been good no side effects and I'm currently 35 weeks and 2 days now so Monday will be my last shot "

Anonymous October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "Shot has been working well 31 weeks and waiting ."

Trina622 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "Not worth it. I went into early labor with my first three pregnancies, which all got stopped with a pill Around 34 weeks. I ended up actually having them at 37 weeks, 37weeks, &36weeks. Now with pregnancy (4th) my doc encouraged me to use the Makena shots. I started them at about 18 weeks, not only are they very expensive but getting them every week was a huge hassle! plus they hurt when getting it injected and the longer I got them they became more painful and itchy and I even got a huge bruise one time. Plus they made me feel off and I felt shaky and and sore. Then to top it all off I still got random contractions and I started to dilate at 30 weeks. So in my book I feel like it was way more stress and hassle to deal with and a ton of$"

Made things worse (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I started these shots 16 weeks ago I'm now 35 weeks I've had many side effects retaining fluid twice headaches all the time nauseation and I had high blood pressure once. I think I would have rather try to do this pregnancy on my own yes I've had early term pregnancy but all pregnancies are different and I think I would have done better off without the Makena this time."

Carmilla4321 September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "Today is my first day taking the shot. I feel nauseous weak and the place where they gave me the shot hurts and I took it @9 this morning and it's already 4pm. Is it normal to feel depressed or cry for no reason during pregnancy. I had a baby 4 years ago whom passed away due to a cervix being thin had her at 20 weeks and now I'm pregnant with my second child and I'm 16 weeks. I hope everything goes well and I stop feeling like this"

Nikki hill September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had my second child at 35 week. My insurance told me that the Makena shot will help me not to have a premature baby the shot hurt a lot and it's burn every time I took it. I started taking it at 20 weeks pregnant I had my baby at 29 weeks my water broke early. So I believe the Makena shot didn't work for me I really regret taking it it's was a waste of money for my insurance to pay for now my baby is in the NICU she's doing fine but if I ever get pregnant again I'm not taking the Makena shot ever again it doesn't work"

Gigico99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had to preterm deliveries. My son at 35 weeks, with prom at 34 w & was NICU baby 2 weeks, almost 17 yrs ago. My daughter almost 8 yrs ago was 35 w 6 d, but was good to come home. My doctor recommended makena, even though I felt it wasn't super necessary since both my kids were not micro preemie. However, I was willing to try it, I experienced small side effects from shot. I am now 38 weeks today with a baby girl. My last shot was at 34 weeks. Was supposed to go until 36 week, but read many women had to get induced past their due date . I am glad I stopped taking the injection when I read about it because I didn't like the fact my body not going into natural labor. I am regretful of taking this drug, possibly looking at an unnatural induction."

Queen_LiLi (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I took this drug from 20-35 weeks because I gave birth to a premie 11years ago-unknown reasons. I'll refuse this drug in future pregnancies, the fact that the makena keeps the baby in longer isn't enough for me to say it worked or didn't. There is no specific information on how this drug works. It will make you feel weird sometimes crazy, angry, and super tired. It messes with your blood sugars and for me caused gestational diabetes, I ate extremely well and exericize yet somehow developed GD? The diet is ridiculously frustrating, one day I had enough and ate whatever I wanted, to my surprise my numbers were normal it was then I found the longer I went without the drug the more my sugars regulated."

Okokokokokno August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had spontaneous premature labor with my first pregnancy, and delivered my son at 30 weeks 1 day after a two days of attempts to stop my labor. I received the makena injection beginning at 19 weeks during my second pregnancy, and received my last shot at 35 weeks 5 days, I believe. I had my daughter 8 days later at 36 weeks 6 days, so almost what is considered full term. I'm currently pregnant with my third, and began the injections at 19 weeks again this time. I'm 35 weeks now, and as of last week my cervix was still high and closed. I've not had any side effects from the shots other than injection site reactions a few times, such as some itching, swelling, and a lump/knot. My overall experience has been good, definitely worth it!"

Kitkat51212 August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I'm I gave birth to my daughter at 34 weeks for completely unknown reasons. The drs where so set on me agreeing to take makena that when I asked about possible side effects I was told their really aren't side effects. I was scheduled for a shot today but am completely refusing to allow my drs to continue with this treatment. The side effects are terrible! The shots are painful and you'll be tender for days. I also had a ton of fatigue while taking them, but the worst is the moodiness and depression. After just a few short weeks of taking makena my emotional state has become so poor that it is safer and healthier for both myself and my baby to not continue Makena. I would recommend for expecting mothers to steer clear of Makena."

Sblount1993 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had my son 3 months early and almost lost him and was on pills every 3 hours to stop preterm labor, lost a son at 20 weeks preg due to him being to small to make it when my water broke, sat in the hospital for 3 months taking those pills every 3 hours With one daughter and a constant in drip of magnesium to have her at almost term, then when my husband and I got pregnant again we were concerned, they mentioned the Makena injection but it would go in upper buttocks every 7 days ..I tried it in hopes it would work and sure enough I had her on my scheduled due date with out one complication or preterm labor symptoms , now pregnant with our last child, which I again did the Makena and am at 39 weeks without complications! Love Mackena!"

Mamabear87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had two of my boys at 34 wks and one at 29 wks. I started with Makena injections at 16wks for this pregnancy had last injection last week 36wks. I'm so exicted I'm now 37 wks pregnant and still going been having some contraction but not to frequent. Thanks to Makena for the first time not having a premie baby and if everything goes well I will finally get the experience of taking my baby home with me instead of leaving them at NICU. Waiting to meet my baby girl scheduled for c section 07/21/17. My insurance covered it but had a very high co payment ,but thanks to copayment assistance I only had to pay 25dls out of pocket once a month."

Mariasally July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "Had my first at 32 weeks. She was in the NICU for almost 2 months. Ultimately we decided to try again. My doctor started me on the Makena shots at 16 weeks. The shot itself didn't hurt going in because I would make the nurse pinch my arm. It burned going in a little. In the beginning I had site reaction of swelling, warmth, itchiness, and sometimes soreness like I was punched in the arm. Around the halfway point that all went away. I did experience some dizziness, nauseaousness, and fatigue, but now that I'm down to my last 3 shots no side effects. Also I recommend alternating arms. It hurts less than hips. Makena care connection is avail. If you can't afford."

MayRanger4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "My first child was born at 30 weeks, so Makena was highly recommended when I became pregnant the second time. I started taking it when I was 16 weeks along. Have to say, the shot really did not hurt. I also had no side effects. I made it to 37 weeks with my second, it was great! Only downfall to the drug is cost; I was so lucky my insurance fully covered it. Wonderful drug, worth the trouble of getting it every week to not have another preemie."

Kricker May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I used makena during my pregnancy and also had a cervical stitch put in at 17 weeks had a healthy baby girl would totally recommend it to any one in a high risk pregnancy☺. Just wondering if any one else who has used the injection experienced irregular period's lasting a lot longer than you had anticipated?"

missMarissa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had my first baby at 30 weeks. When I got pregnant the second time, my doctor recommended the Makena shots that I took weekly for about three months. Yet, I still gave birth at 30 weeks as my first pregnancy. It did not work for me . The shots were painful and so expensive, Prime Specialty Pharmacy was billing the insurance company about $3500 for each 4 shots " shipment they call it". I personally would not recommend it. Had I known what I know now, I would have left it in god's hand."

Birk May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had three kids full term, decided after 14 years from my youngest to have another and at the age of 43 had complications. Cervix was thin and had to have a Cerclage (cervical stitch) due to contractions and length of the cervix at 20 weeks. Started Makena the week after, made the mistake of reading the posts here and prepared myself for painful injections. It was quiet the opposite half of the time I didn't feel a thing, and I'm now on my 29 week and going strong."

Baby Aoife (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "I had my daughter back in 2012 at 35 weeks, and my son at 32 weeks in 2014. Both pregnancy my water broke and they couldn't stop the contractions. For this pregnancy I been on makena since week 17 and I stopped at 33 weeks because the pain in my hips from the shot wouldn't let me walk for two days after each shot. I'm happy because today I'm 37 weeks and going strong. I have my c section schedule for the 29 of May.Thanks thanks Makena. I recommend makena 200%."

Paolamuracle #3 May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "Had my first baby at 32 weeks and with my second baby I started the shots at 19 weeks with my Dr's I am pleased to say I'm 38 weeks with pregnancy and couldn't be happier with how the shots went. They are painful but it was worth it to know in not going to deliver baby in the Nicu or have to worry about how small she will be as I did with my first... I would love to tell any mother that has the option to use the shots to do so!!"

Kayray (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premature Labor "My oldest was born at 24 weeks due to unexplained preterm labor. We spent 112 days in the NICU with him and he is wonderfully thriving - now. When discussing a sibling, we reviewed all the risks with our doctor. She recommended Makena. We were lucky to have my insurance approve the cost without a fight. Guess they weighed the cost of a lengthy NICU stay to the cost of the shots. We started Makena at 16 weeks and continued them to 36 weeks. The shots themselves stung a bit, but was easily managed. My only real side effects were headaches the day of, a little nausea, and some back pain the day after. My pregnancy went to 39 weeks and I was induced due to my advanced maternal age."

Mom0409 (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017