User Reviews for Makena

Premature Labor
6.8

Reviews for Makena

Angie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2021

For Premature Labor: “I went into preterm labor in 2015 at 24 weeks 5 days and stayed on hospital bed until the 25th day, she passed away after a lot of problems a week later in NICU. 2017 became pregnant again and was suggested Makena butt cheek shots once a week starting at 14 weeks until about 36-37 weeks from what I remember. I stayed pregnant until 40 weeks. I had to get a scheduled c section as she was breeched. She is 3 now, extremely smart. Like the kid that names dinosaurs you never heard of. I’m amazed sometimes how I went through the hardest thing in my life, becoming apart of the parent child death club, to now having one that makes me feel like I could be raising the next influencer for all humanity. I can tell you though, without assisted insurance (was still working full time) I probably would have been able to afford it. I know it was costing thousands a month. I want to say in total it was around 15k, not including the nurse that would come to give me the shot.”

NP February 24, 2021

For Premature Labor: “Well I was open to using Maquina as directed by my OB due to preterm labor with my first child at 35 weeks. I started the auto injector and immediately had severe pain with radiating symptoms into my elbow. The pain was deep and I could hardly move my elbow it’s swelled up so much on day three or four from the injection. I never really had significant site reaction until injections two through four. I handled the second and third injection much better and thought I was improving in my tolerability of this medication, just some arm soreness along the back of the arm that lasted about a week. Then, my fourth injection was terrible. I had significant itching and a flareup of rash/ hives/ swelling on both posterior arms. I decided the misery was enough, my stress and discomfort and poor sleep were likely causing more distress on this pregnancy then the potential benefit of the injection. So I stopped it!”

dd February 5, 2021

For Premature Labor: “So last Thursday I had gotten my Makena and yesterday I got it once again. This time it is so different from my first time getting it. I'm having such a hard time to walk. I'm so over it and it is barely the start. I'm going to tell my doctor about it. These symptoms are horrible, I'm weak from all over my body. I have a headache, I just feel very drowsy my first born came at 36 weeks and 1 day but he's so healthy so theres no need for me to do this . I'm done..”

Jan · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I had my baby at 34 weeks and 6 days. I was told to take Makena with baby number 2, due April 2, 2020. I started taking them with bumps, redness, and now itchiness. It hurts, but contractions hurt more ;) Anything for the safety of my baby boy. I went in for my 20 week ultrasound today, and my hi-risk ob said a new study came out 2 weeks ago stating that Makena does not work and those not taking it shouldn't. I've only had 3 shots so far and they recommended I stay away from it because of the discomfort. If the study finds that it does not reduce premature labor, there is no point in me taking them. I'll follow-up with a post baby post to share when he actually came vs. with my daughter for those still questioning. Google "FDA Advisory Board Votes to Recommend Withdrawing Progesterone Therapy for Preterm Birth" to find article”

KayLee · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

For Premature Labor: “For the first pregnancy I had a pre-term labor, I started taking progesterone vaginal pills, this time around I decided to go with the Makena shots, I was super scared of how much it would hurt, I had my first shot today, the shot itself wasn’t so bad but the after hurts. It’s almost like a pulsing pain that comes and goes every couple mins. I noticed when air hit my arm it hurts more. It’s been about an hour since my shot & I still have bad pain. Hopefully this helps someone like me that was curious on the pain of the shot itself.”

OCMama89 May 29, 2020

For Premature Labor: “My OBGYN recommended to take Makena. Starting at 16 weeks I started my Makena shots, I had an adverse reaction to the injections, as many stated, site injection, itching, burning, and swelling that lasted a about a week, on top of drowsiness, and next day pelvic pain that caused me inability to walk. I continued to take the injections for a total of 4 injections, after each injection, I would have the same reaction sleeping almost the entire day and pelvic pain unable to walk the next day. At 18 weeks, I was hospitalized for severe pain, but fetus was growing normal, 19 weeks spoke to ob about the side effects and she said she never heard of this complaint yet. I called their customer service line and Amax pharmaceuticals and they also have never heard of these reported side effects. So I will no longer be taking makena, as it is causing my body more harm than good.”

Lyss February 20, 2020

For Premature Labor: “My first pregnancy was with my daughter who was born at 25 weeks weighing at 1lb12oz with a brain bleed, MRSA, and yeast infection. She is a healthy happy 8 yr old now (I thank God everyday) My son was born at 32wks weighing 3lb 15oz. He was perfectly healthy though, in the NICU for 3weeks, which was amazing compared to his sister who spent 4 months. I started the injections at 19weeks, I am at 23 weeks now. I know I can make it to 32 weeks without the injections, just praying I can make it to 36 weeks. I get the injections in my hip (I am a little lady) so far my cervix is measuring perfectly, unlike the other two. I do not get the bumps, itchiness, burning, etc symptoms like lost people I have read. My hip is sore for a couple days, that’s it. I soak in a warm bath, then have hubby rub my hip very lightly to get the fluid moving around. That seems to help tremendously!!! Good luck and sending prayers for you other mommas out there in the same boat and for healthy babies!!!!”

Luckehduckeh February 27, 2020

For Premature Labor: “After two pregnancies that ended in loss at 24 weeks, my doctor did a cerclage at 12 weeks and started me on Makena injection at 16 weeks. I got it in the hip and if it is done right and injected slowly, the pain is not as bad as when it isn't. I seriously cried on some of those because the pain was so bad. I finally remembered what nurses were the best and requested them. The pregnancy that I had the cerclage and injections lasted until almost 36 weeks before I ended up with preeclampsia. I'm pregnant with my final baby and have had a cerclage placed again and my makena shots just arrived today. They are the auto injection ones though and quite intimidating. I start them next week. I don't really care if they say it is effective or not, there have been millions of women who have taken this shot and it prolonged their pregnancy. This is a shot to help prolong pregnancy, not cure premature birth all together and sometimes, you body has other plans regardless of what you try to do.”

Star May 16, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I was 16 weeks when I started my makena generic shot 4 days later my water broke and I lost my baby and doctors have no clue to why my water broke so fast even after I took the shot. Has any one else experienced this? I miss my baby boy I lost him May 14 2019.”

Mom of All Boys · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I am 37 wks pregnant with my 4th child. All of my children were born premature, each born earlier than the last. This is the longest I've ever been pregnant and I believe Makena is to thank for that. I got weekly arm injections, last week being my last. It took some fighting, but my insurance pays for it 100%. Even if I did experience side effects, other than at the injection site, the fact that my cervix has not yet dilated, and I am for the first time going to give birth to a healthy, full term baby would make me choose his life over my comfort. This is just my experience and feelings”

Kay · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

For Premature Labor: “Thinking about stopping Makena shots. Started them 4 weeks ago and haven’t felt the same way ever since, I believe my doctor thinks I’m being dramatic and doesn’t listen to me . I’ve told him my side effects , how every single day I’m feeling dizzy, extremely fatigue, light headed and my body feels so weak I can barely walk for more than ten minutes, he tells me wait it out but I can no longer deal with it, it’s giving me extreme anxiety, I’m only 6 months pregnant. I had my first baby at 36 1/2 weeks and she was beautifully healthy , 5 pounds and she’s still amazing. Tomorrow I have an appointment and going to ask him to stop giving me the shots because I can’t feel like This every single day..”

Mamaofgirls · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I had my first child at 28w 5d baby stayed in NICU for almost 3 months but perfectly healthy now and 4 years old! This pregnancy I started makena at 16w 3d and I got my last shot of makena at 35w 3d (arm injections) and I’m now 37 weeks and 50% effaced and not dilated. Been having contractions like crazy but still no baby hoping to have her soon. I’ve never been this far along and I am miserable hope baby comes soon but set to be induced in two weeks. Makena has worked great for me no problems the shot burns a little and the site itches a week later but worth not having a baby in NICU. Looking forward to a better experience in the hospital this time and getting to hold my baby immediately and have in the room with me and go home when I do :)”

Lia · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2019

For Premature Labor: “This shot is by far the worst pain you will ever feel, it wasn’t so bad when it went on your buttocks but behind your arm is painful and it stays sore for days . I don’t know if I can do this every week it was really painful !!!”

Mattie0741 · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I started the hip injections of this at 16 weeks. I’ve had 3 so far. They are super painful. And a few hours after the shot I get strong contractions, pelvic pressure, and cervical pain. It feels like the start of labor. After every single shot this has happened and is on and off for a few days and wasn’t happening before I got the shots and didn’t happen with my daughter who was my preemie. It goes away, then I get my next shot and it starts up again. It’s very unsettling.”

Jackie · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2020

For Premature Labor: “I started the Makena auto injector at 18 weeks. I get it in my hip and alternate sides weekly. My husband administers the shots because I couldn't go to the office every week for this long. Placement is key with getting it not to burn like heck. If it's more than an inch or so off, it burns so bad! I do have lots of lumps at the injection sites and they itch even 2-3 weeks after getting it. I had my first baby at 39 weeks, and my 2nd was IUGR and I had her at 36 weeks and 2 days so this time around, my OB prescribed the Makena injections. Today marks 36 weeks 2 days into this pregnancy and as of yesterday, I am 2cm dilated and 80% effaced and baby is at 0 station which means his head is VERY low. I definitely think the progesterone has helped with keeping him cooking as long as he has been.”

Kris-Rose97 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2020

For Premature Labor: “So far so great. When I was pregnant with my first son I went in at 24 weeks to find out my cervix was opening. They said I had an incompetent cervix . So I ended up in the Hospital for a month then at 28 weeks they sent me home cuz nothing changed. At 30 weeks i went back in with contractions and was 3 cm dilated. I ended up in the Hospital for another month and finally gave birth to my son at 36 weeks. When I got pregnant again I was so worried . My doctor put me on the Makena injections at 16 weeks and began doing cervical length ultrasounds every 2 weeks . I am now at 28 weeks .....my cervix is the picture of perfection and I'm so happy!!!!! I get the injections above my butt ...and they do hurt like anything. And the shot sight itches a lot. But its honestly worth it if I can stay pregnant for at least 10 more weeks . So... fingers crossed ”

Yoyo December 19, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I had a premature baby at 24 weeks old. He survived. Now I am currently stoping Makena last week. I am currently 37 weeks n 4 days. I believe Makena really does work. The only side effect I had was my urine was very strong for a couple days, and the shots do sting and hurt for a couple hours. I had the shots from 16 to 36 weeks. I highly recommend the Makena shots.”

Jessica · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I had 3 premature births all between 32 and 34 weeks so when I recently got pregnant with my 4th child which was a boy my doctor advised me to start the makena injections without telling me the pros or cons. Well at 21 weeks I went into the hospital and had a still born baby and honestly believe it from the injections to many hormones being injected into my body. If I would have known more about these shots I would have never started them, they left me sore and crampy. It might work for some women but not all.”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

For Premature Labor: “My first baby my son I gave birth to him at 35 &5 he was 5 pounds & 11ounces, supposed to be due in March but came in February he had to stay in the NICU for 2 weeks. I am currently pregnant now with a girl and I started to get my shots done at 21-22 weeks because my insurance took forever to get back but when I got them in my buttocks, yes it hurt a little and it did sting a little but I think any shot you get is gonna do that, after a while I was fine...no lumps, no bruising, no pain. I reached 36 weeks with no problems my daughter is moving all around and she is right where she's supposed to be on weight, and size. My last appointment my doctor checked my cervix and it wasn't dilated yet but my cervix was soft, I have a appointment coming up this Thursday to see if she's head down still and if there is any change in my cervix, we are waiting for labor and can't be more excited.”

Anonymous July 29, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I would 100% recommend the makena shot! I had my first son at 33.6 weeks. I started getting the makena shot at 17 weeks until 35 weeks. I am currently 37 weeks and still pregnant and not dilated at all. The shot is pretty painful at first but after the first few you get used to soreness/ itchiness. But is it worth having a healthy baby? YES.”

Lexus September 19, 2019

For Premature Labor: “After having my first child at 27 weeks. My doctors suggested I use the makena injection to prevention going into premature labor again. I was nervous at first but decided it was with the chance if I could avoid having a premature baby again. I had the shots once a week in my thigh( a lot less painful than hip) rotating legs every week. I didn’t have any bad side effects other than the injection site sometimes itching. I stopped taking the shots at 36 weeks and we had our beautiful baby girl at 37 weeks. She was early but no where near as early as our son was. She didn’t have to spend anytime in the NICU at all unlike our son did. She is a very happy and healthy baby. I truly believe I have the makena shots to thank for that. Thankfully my insurance completely covered the cost of the shots. I have heard from others the injection are very expensive but they have ways to help lower your payments. It is so worth it to be able to hold your healthy baby after birth.”

Taytay1 · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2019

For Premature Labor: “The Makena new way the administer the auto injection is HORRIBLE. It was extremely painful in my arm and the pain doesn't subside til after about 10 mins and even after that you still feel soreness. My first shot, 10 mins later walking out of the doc office I got extremely hot, dizzy, and couldn't walk straight, I almost passed out. They had to lay me down and cool me off. They are discussing the old way to inject into the hip or buttocks. With my second child ( 3 years ago) I had no side effects with the shot at all...a little burn but that its. This new auto injectable is horrible. I had my first daughter at 34 weeks and runs in the family pre term later. I started the shot at 16 weeks my last pregnancy and made it to 39 weeks, so the Makena worked to prevent pre term delivery. My doctor is having me do it again with this pregnancy and of course I'd rather be on the safe side..baby first. But this way is horrible”

AS August 19, 2020

For Premature Labor: “The cost is outrageous. I have paid so much for this drug and it used to be available for way cheaper. I don't know how drug companies are able to keep doing this to people. It's also very hard to navigate insurance with some of the specialty pharmacies, I have spent many afternoons on the phone trying to sort it all out. Besides all of that, I dealt with burning, lumping and a rash at the injection site for 14 weeks. I decided to stop after 31 weeks because I was becoming very depressed and dealing with a lot of anxiety. I was also admitted for preterm labor at 28 weeks and have had to be on procardia. I have had daily contractions since 22 weeks and I do believe the Makena has helped my cervix ripen slower. I just can't do it anymore. I even have scarring from the rashes. The shot takes up to 17 days to wear off (depending on source), so I will be good through 33 weeks and my baby has already had steroid shots. I would not do these again. I would rather do vaginal suppositories.”

Moe October 19, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I've been taking the Makena shot for about 6 or 7 weeks now. At first I couldn't breathe the first week if getting it, I had shortness of breath. Then in the spot where the doc injected me at itched like crazy and I had a lump. Now my hip is so sore I can barely lift my leg or walk to the bathroom. I don't see why I'm getting the shot. I had my 1st child at 36wks and my 2nd at 37wks. You would think they would've gave me the shot when I was pregnant the 2nd time around. I really don't recommend this shot to any one.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I had my daughter at 35 weeks so with this pregnancy it was suggested I start the shots at 16 weeks until 36 weeks. I get them in my butt cheek and they do not hurt! If you have a nurse who administers them correctly and doesn’t hit your nerve it just feels like a pinch. I haven’t had any noticeable side effects... as others mentioned, I sometimes get an itchy lump but it goes away in a few days. I’ve never had pain in or around the injection area after the initial shot. I am now 36 weeks and due for my last shot so for me it’s worked and the experience hasn’t been bad at all.”

Marie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 22, 2019

For Premature Labor: “I had my first daughter at 35 weeks and she had to stay in the NICU for 3 weeks. My doctor suggested Makena shots for my current pregnancy. I started them at 16 weeks, and I will continue to get them until I'm 36 weeks. I'm currently 33weeks! I receive the shot in the back of my upper arm. It itches, stings, and causes lumps but all of that is bearable. It isn't bad at all. My cervix has remained long and closed, and I haven't had any issues so far!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2019

For Premature Labor: “My doctor recommended Makena at the beginning of my pregnancy since I had my last baby at 35wks. He asked me to do my research on it and then decide. I did go and research but everything I would read was that they were not sure if the shot made a difference or not, basically not guaranteed and the shot was very pricey. I opted for no shot and now I am 34 wks and thankfully no signs of labor yet. I honestly feel like my last baby came because she was ready or my body just could not take her, she was 6lbs 15oz and ready to go home, which was another reason why I decided for no shot. I am waiting to see my baby, one more week and I can have the peace of mind that baby will be ready to make her appearance!!!”

hafssa June 28, 2016

For Premature Labor: “4 years ago my 1st pregnancy i went into preterm labor at 26 weeks. this year I have been on makena since 17 weeks I'm now 37 weeks with no shots left I've made it :-) I was worried at first but have nothing negative to say and if your doctor recommends this for you I say do it and don't forget prayers .....”