User Reviews for Makena

Premature Labor
7.1

Summary of Makena reviews 7.0 71 reviews

Reviews for Makena

For Premature Labor "Hi, I just wanted to say I had my first son at 32 weeks. I then suffered from a series of miscarraiges. I am now 16 weeks pregnant and just started using Makena today. I wanted to let anyone know that actually, it did not hurt. I will come back to rate this shot and tell you all how long the baby stayed in, but when I was searching this site I wanted to know 1. If it hurt and 2. If it worked. SO I will come back and let you all know how long the baby stays in, but please do not be scared from all of the comments that it hurt. I was terrified, and it felt like a normal shot. Thank you. * I have been at work the remainder of the day and have no side affects, I don't even feel it anymore."

Ash (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

For Premature Labor "Do not use this - it is not safe !"

Mamaof3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

For Premature Labor "I have had to high-risk pregnancies the first one I had placenta previa the whole time with my daughter delivered at 37 weeks. The third child my water started leaking at 25 weeks I had him at 29 weeks he spent 19 days in the NICU with just under 3 pounds. This is my fourth pregnancy I’m 40 years old and was very scared about having another premature baby my doctor told me since I found out I was 18 weeks into the pregnancy that I needed to get on the Makena shots. At that point not knowing for 18 weeks I would rather not have another premature baby. So I have been on the shots I am now 35 1/2 weeks waiting on my next shot on Tuesday and hope to deliver soon after that. I will tell you it is much better to have a healthy baby then the scare of having a premature baby that may not make it. Yes I endured the same symptoms itchy injection sites, swelling and bruising. All worth it!"

Wendy September 13, 2018

For Premature Labor "Who knows if it works or not? I am leery of the lack of studies, especially following up on children in the years after they are born. There is so much pressure to receive these shots, but go with your gut. They HURT. I have had both the auto injector (in the arm) and the regular (in the muscle of your butt). Both caused side effects. I had one in my arm and it itched and hurt for over a month after I received it. I had several in my butt that hurt for days at the injection site, sometimes pain down my leg, and I would develop a hard lump under the skin at injection site. I have never felt more depressed and it makes your urine smell something awful. Keeping the hope that the benefits are real and are worth the damage I may be doing to my body or my unborn baby. Who knows what will develop in the future from injecting ourselves with synthetic materials."

Downbythesea (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2018

For Premature Labor "Hi I have start my shots and so far everything went well. I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant and praying this helps. I lost a son in 2017 at 19 weeks and with this pregnancy I was told I have a short cervix. I was give a cervical cerclage at 19 weeks and also given my first Makena shot. I then waited for an approval from my insurance company for 2 weeks and was finally approved. I was very scared after reading the risks and other people experiences. But I prayed about it, put my fears aside and decided to continue with the shot for a better chance at a good outcome. I heard that the injections hurt but it felt like any other shot to me. It was given in my hip/butt and only has a bit of an itch. I do see a little dot of a bruise at my first site and a little bump but nothing to alarming. I hope this help me carry my little one full term and that I have a healthy child."

MSLADY August 23, 2018

For Premature Labor "My first child was born at 25 weeks 4 days due to premature labor. The doctors didn't know how to stop my contractions and didn't believe me that my contractions were getting worse until they checked my cervix. I had to have an emergency c-section moments later and my daughter was immediately life flighted to another hospital that had a NICU. She spent 96 days in the hospital. This was in April 2015. I am now pregnant with my second child and see a new OB/GYN who recommended these injections. I started them at 16 weeks and am now 30 weeks 3 days and only have 5 more shots to go. Besides some injection site itchiness and a lump (similar to a mosquito bite) I would recommend this shot to anyone who has went through premature labor. I cannot wait to see what this shot has in store for me over these next few weeks."

MonteRay June 24, 2018

For Premature Labor "My daughter was born 6 weeks early due to spontaneous rupture of membranes. For this pregnancy my perinatologist ‘suggested’ Makena, so I obliged, but I wish I had been more prepared for the cost. My Makena injections cost $43,240.20 ($2,882.68 per claim) and my insurance (BCBS of OK) has only paid $1,246.85 of it. The first order for Makena was made 1/6/17, my son was born 5/7/17 and today’s date is 6/18/18. So far, I have received bills from my specialty pharmacy totalling over $2,000 and I assume it will start to climb. I need to call my insurance. I’m not sure if there are any cheaper alternatives, or any alternatives for Makena at all, but do your homework if the cost could set you back. I have no way of knowing if Makena actually prevented premature delivery with my son. He was born at 39 weeks. I did not take my last 3 Makena injections because of the shooting pain down my legs."

BeckerHaus June 18, 2018

For Premature Labor "First child was born at 34 weeks- leaked fluid and had a baby 7 hours later. Painless, vaginal no med labor and gave birth to my daughter weighing 5lb 5oz and in perfect health. 2nd child they put me on Makena and. No issues. Last shot at 36 weeks and my water leaked again the day of my 36 week check up but was 36 weeks and 6 days- they considered me 37 weeks. Son born healthy and no issues at 7lbs 9oz. I am on my 3rd pregnancy and so far so good. Expecting to give birth to another son around 37 weeks again. Last shot should be at 36 weeks, so we shall see what happens. Only difference in this pregnancy is I have single umbilical artery (SUA) usually there is two. So we have to get an ultrasound every 4 weeks to measure baby and be sure he is growing well, and that heart, kidneys, brain, etc all look good. They want me to be induced no later than 37 weeks, but I opting to not be induced because this baby will come out when ready. Giving my body till 38 weeks to naturally induce before I let them intervene."

Hazzy B (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

For Premature Labor "I just started this medication and I'm hoping it works as well as it has for other moms who have used it to prevent preterm labor. This will be my third baby and although the shots are uncomfortable her little life is more important to me than that. I am taking the new makena auto injectors so no shot in butt or hip ladies just in the arm so its supposedly less painful."

3rd times a charm May 16, 2018

For Premature Labor "Currently 35 weeks pregnant with my third child and just stopped receiving the injections. My second daughter was born at 33 weeks due to spontaneous premature rupture of membranes. I would say these shots have been effective. My side effects were present for the first 10 weeks or so, they included: pain and swelling, bruising, itchiness, headaches, and light headedness. My husband is active duty and we have Tricare. Each time I called to refill a prescription I was quoted $0 and told the medication was 100% covered by the pharmacy. Now that I am finished with the injections the pharmacy is saying I owe thousands and there is a pending investigation to see if I will be responsible for payment or not. Either way I'm glad I did these injections because no price is worth risking your child's health. So overall this was a great and effective medicine with mild side effects, but if you go through Accredo Pharmacy you will likely be scammed."

Kit (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2018

For Premature Labor "Started using makena since 16 weeks so far I've been lucky have not had any type of symptoms. I'm 36 weeks waiting to get my last shot this week."

Liz (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2018

For Premature Labor "I suffered from premature rupture of membranes my first pregnancy. My water broke at 16 weeks bed rest till 26 weeks when they just couldn't stop the labor she was coming either way. Miya was born 4lbs and died 5 hours later. I am currently pregnant with her sister MILA and I started makena injections at 16 weeks I am 32 weeks today NO ISSUES! I am scheduled to take my last injection at 36 weeks and 3 days. My insurance covered the entire time thank goodess. My side effects were slight itching and pain at then injection site."

MIYA (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

"Preterm premature rupture of the membranes (PPROM) at 15weeks 3days. No pain, bleeding, or contractions and still closed, thick and high cervix. 24 hrs hospital observations, and sent home on bed rest for 7 weeks. Went in for first weekly checkup at exactly 16 weeks and everything was great until nurse aid came in and gave Makena injection before consulting with my doctor who hasn't even come in yet. Immediately baby stopped moving. Doctor came in did ultrasound and no longer a heartbeat! Makena injections killed my baby because his sac was ruptured and it was too strong for him. Please if you are already ruptured, full or partial do not take Makena. Makena is a great med for preventing pPROM and prom. If I have another baby, I will be sure to only take Makena shots if water hasn't already broken."

Ebony (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

For Premature Labor "I had my first baby at 27 weeks due to an incompetent cervix. When I got pregnant with #2 my maternal fetal medicine Dr prescribed me these shots. I started them at 16 weeks (cervical incompetence happens between 16-24 weeks) I'm now 35 weeks and 3 days with no issues and one shot left . They work for your cervix and if you have an irritable uterus. Some of the reviews on this page have nothing to do with the side effects of this shot. Side effects I've had are: headache, appetite change, weight gain, body ache, and discharge. This is a medication so its different for everyone. Just as how the shot works is different for everyone. The people at Makena call every month for an update on how my pregnancy is going. My insurance covered my shots 100%, my OB said they're $3500 each. I would absolutely recommend these shots. I would take them again if I were to get pregnant again, but I don't intend to. They hurt, its a 20 gauge needle injecting a thick medication into your upper butt."

Andrea April 18, 2018

For Premature Labor "I’m currently 32 Wks pregnant with my 5th child. My 1st three children were delivered at 34, 36, and 33wks with my 4th child was born at 39 weeks because I was put on bed rest. With this pregnancy I was offered the option to try the Makena shot. I go every week to get my shot. The pain and discomfort is very little considering that I have the chance to have a full term delivery and bring home my baby once I get discharged. It’s heart breaking after going through all the morning sickness and the pain from labor and delivery to come home empty handed. I suffer from my migraine headaches and that the only thing is that I get them more frequently now. But all I got is 5 more shots to go. And I’ll be all done. I buy itchy cream.. I use cold or heating pads.. cause my baby life and well being has more value to me than a few bumps and bruises on my butt cheeks.. that will faded away in a few weeks.. I recommend. Good luck !"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

For Premature Labor "With my second child my water broke at 34 weeks 5 days and my doctor induced contractions. With my third child my OB recommended the Makena shots. I started them at 14 weeks and continued through week 36. The only problems I had with the shots were injection site pain and itching. My healthy baby boy was born 6 days over due, but I didn't have to deal with a preterm baby or pitocin induced contractions(ouch!) I am now 9 weeks pregnant with baby #4 and will again get the shots weekly starting at 14 weeks. I would much rather deal with mild discomfort for a few months than to run the risk of having another preterm baby."

Momof4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

For Premature Labor "Don’t listen to ignorant people who swear against the shot & warn people not to use it. It’s okay to say it didn’t work for you but to tell others to risk the health of their baby based on the fact it fails for some is infuriating. I had my 1st at 26 weeks. When I got pregnant with my 2nd it was recommended to take the shot. While doing research and asking appropriate questions you will know that the shot isn't 100% effective to stop preterm labor. There are so many other reasons & complications that could have occurred to make u go into labor early. It will not help anyone who has an incompetent cervix etc. I'm 30 weeks with my 2nd pregnancy & have no complications. I get itchy lumps & bruises but the chance of giving birth early & risking life long complications based on being sad, crying all day is so pathetic. You can suck it up if your more concerned with having a healthy baby. Don’t make your decision based on people who are more concerned with a bruise than they are of the chance of having a healthy baby."

DRoss March 28, 2018

For Premature Labor "My 1st son was born at 24 wks due to premature labor - he sadly passed at a month old. My 2nd pregnancy with son #2 I was encouraged to take Mekena. Started at 16 wks and last one at 35.5 wks. He was born at 36.5 wks. I believe without it we could have had to bury another child. Now, with our 3rd pregnancy, I started Mekena at 16 wks and so far everything is going well at 29 wks. Does the injection hurt? Yes. Is it inconvenient to have to get an injection each week? Sure. Is it expensive? Crazy expensive. My insurance covers it. If yours doesn't, ask about the compound 17p as an alternative. With all of that said for me personally, I will do whatever it takes to give my baby the chance and recommend it."

Tracie BB January 23, 2018

For Premature Labor "Hello everyone My first born came at 35 weeks. She weighed 6 pounds. Had high level of jaundice so we had to stay a few extra days. My second came at 36 weeks, which is still consider late preterm. She weighed 5 pounds and 7 oz. Only issue was her weight. And both had problems keeping down breastmilk. They would spit up after feedings. I switched my OBGYN and she suggested using the Makena injections with my third. I am 38 weeks pregnant and I cannot be happier with the results. Makena does work. No complications. When given the injection, it is painful and may get red and itchy where the shot was given but that's normal. They are also other side effects which your doctor should go over with you."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

For Premature Labor "My oldest was born at 24 weeks, 4 days due to unexplained PreTerm labor. We were in the NICU til his due date. He’s thrived, but it was a long journey. When we got pregnant with our 2nd, I started Makena at 16 weeks and took it the prescribed time. Had no issues with my insurance or the shots. We went to just over 39 weeks and had a healthy baby. I am pregnant a 3rd time and just started the shots at 17 weeks. Currently the only issue has been getting it started. Insurance approved immediately, but had a snafu with the Specialty Pharmacy who messed it up and took a couple of weeks to fix it."

Busymomof2andahalf (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2017

For Premature Labor "I was prescribed this after I told my OBGYN that I had my first son at 35 weeks At 16 weeks I started Makena with my second son after 7 injections the side effect I have experienced have been horrible with itching all over my body, I have depression and anxiety already and my OBGYN knew this and prescribed this anyway and now after my 7th shot, I am really down! With depression so severe that all I do is cry all day! I'm 25 weeks tomorrow and there is no way I can continue this shot! I had a beautiful love affair with my BF and now all we do is fight and I catch myself yelling and being extremely moody and our whole relationship is falling apart! If you have depression or mental health issues DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!!"

Jennaf December 12, 2017

For Premature Labor "I regret taking this. They will tell you that more progesterone isn't a bad thing, and then you'll get all the info on side effects from Makena. It increases the risk of every pregnancy complication except preterm labor. I've dealt with no complications except preterm birth in my first two pregnancies. On Makena, it's been a ride with painful injections, site reactions, fetal arrhythmia, gestational diabetes, low fluid, and I have felt like a crazy person. I was not informed, and I'd take my perfectly healthy 36 week pregnancy over this one any day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2017

For Premature Labor "In May 2017 My doctor started me on these shots at eleven weeks pregnant. Two weeks after getting the shots my baby was found in my cervix dead and all my amniotic fluid was gone."

NickieP November 15, 2017

For Premature Labor "I got two shots and went into labor next week after I lost my son at 18 weeks n 5 days"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

For Premature Labor "In 2015, my water broke and I had my daughter at 35 weeks. Lucky she was just fine at 5 lbs 10 oz and came home with us. When I got pregnant with my son early this year, my OB recommend the Makena injection. I started the weekly injection at 16 weeks and continued it until 36 weeks. The shot was occasionally painful and sometimes I would have a itchy red bump at the injection site. My water broke 4 days after the last shot and I had my son when I was 36w6d. He was 7lbs 13 oz and was perfectly healthy. It is hard to tell if the Makena injection worked or not but if I wasn't on it, who knows, he may have came sooner so I am glad I decided to do the shot."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2017