User Reviews for Makena to treat Premature Labor

Makena Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Premature Labor.

Reviews for Makena

"Caused depression & anxiety but prevented preterm labor. Extremely expensive."

Cam (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2019

"This shot is by far the worst pain you will ever feel, it wasn’t so bad when it went on your buttocks but behind your arm is painful and it stays sore for days . I don’t know if I can do this every week it was really painful !!!"

Lia (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2019

"My first I had at 29 weeks so my last 2 I was on this. That's when would give a shot in the butt. No problems. Now for this one I'm getting the injections in my arm. Omg. It hurt and burned for days, then itched. Week later and I still have a red round bump. They worked though for me. Once stop at 36 weeks I'd go into labor 2-3 days after."

Jenn (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2019

"I was 16 weeks when I started my makena generic shot 4 days later my water broke and I lost my baby and doctors have no clue to why my water broke so fast even after I took the shot. Has any one else experienced this? I miss my baby boy I lost him May 14 2019."

Star May 16, 2019

"I had my daughter at 35 weeks so with this pregnancy it was suggested I start the shots at 16 weeks until 36 weeks. I get them in my butt cheek and they do not hurt! If you have a nurse who administers them correctly and doesn’t hit your nerve it just feels like a pinch. I haven’t had any noticeable side effects... as others mentioned, I sometimes get an itchy lump but it goes away in a few days. I’ve never had pain in or around the injection area after the initial shot. I am now 36 weeks and due for my last shot so for me it’s worked and the experience hasn’t been bad at all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

"So my doctor recommended the Makena shot because I had my second daughter at 35 weeks and my last 2 children I kept having to go to the hospital and get shots for contractions for preterm labor cause I was dialating. I had pain in my arm from the shot and my arms itched and lumped up for weeks. I had to switch to the generic cause it was too pricey and the manufacturer ran out of the medication after my 4th shot. The generic wasn't much better. It left itching burning and lumps. Having the injection site in my upper buttocks was much easier. I am almost 35 weeks now and I've been to the hospital consistently since 24 weeks with contractions and such. Now I have a huge lump in my right buttocks that hurts real bad and itches. I feel like it has sort of kept me from going into full blown labor but only with the help from 4 other medications."

MomO*5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2019

"The Makena new way the administer the auto injection is HORRIBLE. It was extremely painful in my arm and the pain doesn't subside til after about 10 mins and even after that you still feel soreness. My first shot, 10 mins later walking out of the doc office I got extremely hot, dizzy, and couldn't walk straight, I almost passed out. They had to lay me down and cool me off. They are discussing the old way to inject into the hip or buttocks. With my second child ( 3 years ago) I had no side effects with the shot at all...a little burn but that its. This new auto injectable is horrible. I had my first daughter at 34 weeks and runs in the family pre term later. I started the shot at 16 weeks my last pregnancy and made it to 39 weeks, so the Makena worked to prevent pre term delivery. My doctor is having me do it again with this pregnancy and of course I'd rather be on the safe side..baby first. But this way is horrible"

Taytay1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2019

"My doctor recommended Makena at the beginning of my pregnancy since I had my last baby at 35wks. He asked me to do my research on it and then decide. I did go and research but everything I would read was that they were not sure if the shot made a difference or not, basically not guaranteed and the shot was very pricey. I opted for no shot and now I am 34 wks and thankfully no signs of labor yet. I honestly feel like my last baby came because she was ready or my body just could not take her, she was 6lbs 15oz and ready to go home, which was another reason why I decided for no shot. I am waiting to see my baby, one more week and I can have the peace of mind that baby will be ready to make her appearance!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2019

"My doctor recommended we take this medication due to a history of pre-term labor with our son. I had him at 35 weeks. After significant research I found that there are some new studies that have indicated this medication does not work to prevent pre-term labor. Do a computer search for this study "17-alpha Hydroxyprogesterone caproate did not reduce the rate of recurrent preterm birth in a prospective cohort study" It also talks about the price concerns this is a quote out of the article "Once a confirmatory study was underway and 10% of the total sample size had been recruited from US sites, the FDA gave temporary approval to KV Pharmaceutical on 11 February 2011 to market 17-OHPC under the brand name Makena®. This approval was granted under the agency’s accelerated approval regulations. On 15 February 2011, KV Pharmaceutical announced the price of Makena® to be $1500 per injection." Where 17-alpha hydroxyprogesterone caproate = 17-OHPC "

JB (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2019

"I had my first child at 27weeks, My second child at 33weeks. I started makena with my 3rd child when I was 16 weeks pregnant, ended up having her at 31 weeks. I'm currently pregnant with my 4th child and I'm 29 weeks pregnant and started makena when I was 25 weeks pregnant with this pregnancy. I get it in my hip. It burns sometimes when is injected but other than that there is no pain. I'm hoping it'll work better with this pregnancy than my last."

Preemiemommyof4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2019

"Getting the auto injection in my arm once a week starting at 16 weeks and I am now 24 weeks. The first few burned really bad afterwards but now I barely notice anything. My son who is about to be 2 years old was born at 34 weeks due to Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes (PPROM) no known cause so my doctor got me on this as quickly as possible and baby is growing well and ultrasound shows all organs and limbs are there."

Bee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2019

"I think these reviews are oddly consistent and similar in length and in completeness. Wondering if a professional writer has narrated all of these reviews..?"

Keith January 31, 2019

"My son was born at 28 wks 4 days due to unexpected cervical shorten. He stayed at NICU for 72 day. And now he is a very healthy and happy kid which about to turn 5 in March. I am currently 20 weeks pregnant. Started my injections in 17 wks and having cervical length ultrasounds every 2 week to monitor my cervix. So far, everything is fine, cervical length is at 4 cm. The shots do hurt for couple days. My healthcare provider said it's less painful on the arm, but the pain lasts longer. On the other hand, it's more painful on the hip when shots are given, but the pain doesn't last long. I got my shots on my arms because I am a medical assistant and I know that if the person that is administering the shots on your hip and she/he hit the wrong spot, you can be paralyzed. Other than pain and itch, no other side effects for me so far. Finger crossed. Hope it all worth it and baby stay longer in my belly."

Mama YanYan (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2019

"I HAVE NO IDEA how some of these ladies are administering the SC injection compared to the IM injection but WOW! The pain of the large gauge needle deep in my muscle is SO SO much more painful than the quick SC injection. Either way its all about my baby and the SC injection makes things so much easier, faster and very little pain besides slight burning at site of injection, itching, and slight bump once in a while. This has worked best for me cold ice behind the arm for a couple minutes, then relax the arm and let it hang down, and have someone administer it from behind its fast and NO NO PAIN at all compared to the IM. Still can't believe people think the SC has more pain than the IM. Hopefully this helps so they can have PAIN free injection while having a healthy baby. Good luck MOMS.."

mommabear (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2019

"I had my soon to be 4yr old at 27 weeks and now I’m currently 32 weeks. My midwife started me on the Makena (P17) shot at 16 weeks. I would say it’s very effective but the shots hurt so bad. They say it’s the medicine because it’s so thick, but either way it hurts. Every other week they inject it into the opposite arm. When I usually get it, my left arm stings the longest for days afterwards and it itches so bad. The more I get it, the more I’m used to it but I cannot wait until I don’t have to get it any longer because that pain afterwards is horrible. I don’t look forward getting it every week and I’ve been counting down since 16 weeks lol. I’m glad that it’s helping my baby stay in the over a bit longer though so I won’t complain but other than the painfullness, I would recommend getting it. Nothing is more painful than actual labor so I think I can survive a 2sec shot with a couple days of pain."

MommyAsh (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

"I agree with the post below, I got the IM injections with my previous pregnancy. I didn’t recall any awful sides effects besides some hives that went away with hydrocortisone. I have a drug sensitivity to the progesterone but unfortunately there isn’t an alternative so I thought Id try a different form. So this pregnancy I got Makena auto injection SQ into the arms. It is extremely painful and causes nausea after the shot the I have a huge lump. No pressure can be put on that arm or it hurts an incredible amount. I still have a few left I’ll use but once I’m done I’ll go back to the hip IM injections. They were not anywhere near as painful."

Lou (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

"I had my first child at 34 weeks with no complications. When my doctor mentioned the shot to me while I was pregnant with my daughter, I was skeptical. I was never big on medicines or anything being injected into my body. I decided to get the shot anyway. My OB was very kind to give me info on having a nurse from an outside agency come to my house each week to give the shot. Other than itching for the first few weeks, I did not experience any other side effects. I went 39 weeks and had a very healthy baby girl."

Lrab (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

"I have a history of preterm labor, with my first born at 35 weeks, next at 32 weeks, the next one was put on bed rest and terbutaline at 28 weeks with delivery at 38. This time I started the shots at 16 weeks, in the butt, and sometimes it hurts and sometimes not. I found it helpful to circle the spot with a sharpie for the next time when I found a good spot. I just took my last shot today and I'm 35 weeks two days. I've still had contractions, but my cervix hasn't changed at all, so I consider that success! I also haven't had to be on bedrest, which amazing! I did have an issue at one point with my insurance being difficult, and it took a month to get my refill, but the Dr had a few extra shots so I didn't miss any."

Luna (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2019

"I have gone through rounds of fertility treatment all requiring shots intramuscular and subcutaneous in nature. I have given them to myself, had my spouse administer, had provider administer. This is my second pregnancy with a p17 shot. The Makena shot that I am currently taking is a prefiled syringe that you administer in the back of the arm. This is hands down the most painful shot I have ever had. It is absolutely terrible. Is there a reason they are no longer given in the hip? It is a millions times less painful and equally effective. It leaves my arm in pain for DAYS!!!! In addition it’s absurdly expensive."

Suz (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2019

"I am currently almost 12 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first pregnancy I had my son at 34wks 4days. I talked to to doctor today 1/7/19 about the makena shot. I am very iffy about this shot. I usually NEVER put anything medication wise into my body but if this actually helps with premature labor its worth it. So with that being said from experience from other mommys does this shot work?? Is it worth the hassle of going to my doctors once a week to get this shot???"

mamab January 7, 2019

"I had two children born early. One at 32 weeks and one at 34 weeks, not sure why. Now with my 3rd child they started me at 16 weeks on the Makena shot. The injection spot is in my arm and we trade from left to right each week. After a couple shots the spot started to get itchy and hurt even more. Each injection is very painful, but I feel it’s worth my child to stay in there longer. I didn’t go through my insurance I just went through an insurance that helps you pay for the shots, it is CVS pharmacy and I paid $50 a month for all 4 shots. I got my last shot at 36 weeks, they checked me and I was dilated to 3 cm with 70% effaced. I am currently 37 weeks and 2 days, having mild contractions on and off. I also lost my mucus plug, so I am hoping any day now."

Boy Mommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2018

"Makena is a great shot to take. However, I found of that there is a drug shortage until 2019. There is a generic brand but there are no copay assistance programs out there. From what the pharmacist explained there are grants to help reimburse you and then if that does not work they can send you an application for hardship. I was told insurance was going to cover them and that we qualified for care connection, but I have gotten two bills so far stating we owe 3200 for each month of supplies. . I started the shots at 16 weeks because we delivered our daughter at 34 weeks but my water broke partially at 25 weeks. I am now 25 weeks and just found out about the shortage of these Makena shots yesterday. They should be back in stock around 2019. I am terrified because I take my shots on Thursday and I start cramping and having pressure normally a day or two before. So now I am without shots for about two weeks. Does anyone know if that will cause preterm labor?"

NAM (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2018

"This is my 5th pregnancy- 4 prior living healthy kids :) 2/4 pregnancies were Preemies 32&34 wkrs my son born at 34wks was lack of amniotic fluid & cord wrapped around his neck 3xs- induced being that he was dying inside of me, I started leaking fluid 20 wks and complete bed rest and taking tirbutaline for contractions. Baby boy was born healthy 5.1 18in. my daughter was born at 32 wks I just began to dilate so quick & they waited till I was 6cms and popped my bag and had her within 20 mins she was in the NICU for a month due to premature lungs. Now with my 5th pregnancy I started MAKENA at 17 weeks. I had some hemorrhaging early on in the 1st trimester. Glad & hoping that this the makena working for me- as I currently am 33wks as of today- some mild braxton hicks. Injections do hurt and cause me so much pain! but as long as my baby boy makes it to term, I do not care about the side effects. -I'll be back with an update- as to when I have my baby & God willing everything goes smooth :)"

Jayzoly October 16, 2018

"If you are a black woman or have asthma do not take this medication it causes preeclampsia. I almost died, two of my children died."

Anonymous September 29, 2018

"Hi, I just wanted to say I had my first son at 32 weeks. I then suffered from a series of miscarraiges. I am now 16 weeks pregnant and just started using Makena today. I wanted to let anyone know that actually, it did not hurt. I will come back to rate this shot and tell you all how long the baby stayed in, but when I was searching this site I wanted to know 1. If it hurt and 2. If it worked. SO I will come back and let you all know how long the baby stays in, but please do not be scared from all of the comments that it hurt. I was terrified, and it felt like a normal shot. Thank you. * I have been at work the remainder of the day and have no side affects, I don't even feel it anymore."

Ash (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018