Hycotuss Expectorant Side Effects
Generic Name: guaifenesin / hydrocodone
Note: This document contains side effect information about guaifenesin / hydrocodone. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Hycotuss Expectorant.
For the Consumer
Applies to guaifenesin / hydrocodone: oral capsule, oral liquid, oral solution, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking guaifenesin / hydrocodone:
Incidence Not Known
- Difficult or troubled breathing
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
Some side effects of guaifenesin / hydrocodone may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- feeling of warmth
- redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
- sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- sudden sweating
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to guaifenesin / hydrocodone: oral capsule, oral liquid, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
The most commonly reported adverse effects have included headache, dizziness, sedation, nausea, diarrhea, decreased blood pressure, and flushing.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Sedation (somnolence), headache, dizziness, decreased mental alertness with impaired mental and/or physical abilities
-Increased intracranial pressure[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Nausea, diarrhea
Frequency not reported: Hot flush[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Decreased blood pressure[Ref]
1. Covington TR, Lawson LC, Young LL, eds. "Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs. 10th ed." Washington, DC: American Pharmaceutical Association (1993):
2. "Product Information. Flowtuss (guaifenesin-hydrocodone)." Mission Pharmacal Company, San Antonio, TX.
3. Turturro MA, Paris PM, Yealy DM, Menegazzi JJ "Hydrocodone versus codeine in acute musculoskeletal pain." Ann Emerg Med 20 (1991): 1100-3
4. Morrow PL, Faris EC "Death associated with inadvertent hydrocodone overdose in a child with a respiratory tract infection." Am J Forensic Med Pathol 8 (1987): 60-3
5. "Product Information. Vicodin Tuss (guaifenesin-hydrocodone)" Knoll Pharmaceutical Company, Mount Olive, NJ.
6. Sackner MA "Effects of hydrocodone bitartrate on breathing pattern of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and restrictive lung disease." Mt Sinai J Med 51 (1984): 222-6
7. "Product Information. Robitussin (guaifenesin)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
8. Fricke J, Halladay SC, Bynum L, Francisco CA "Pain relief after dental impaction surgery using ketorolac, hydrocodone plus acetaminophen, or placebo." Clin Ther 15 (1993): 500-9
9. Sorensen JL, Hargreaves WA, Weinberg JA "Heroin addict responses to six weeks of detoxification with LAAM." Drug Alcohol Depend 9 (1982): 79-87
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Hycotuss Expectorant (guaifenesin / hydrocodone)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
- FDA Alerts (3)