Halazepam Side Effects
Applies to halazepam: oral tablet
Nervous system side effects have been common and have included drowsiness, sedation, somnolence, confusion, poor memory, dizziness, ataxia, and decreased motor coordination (particularly in elderly patients). Paradoxical excitement and behavioral disinhibition have also been observed by some clinicians.[Ref]
Other side effects have included withdrawal symptoms after either abrupt cessation or fast tapering of benzodiazepines and tolerance to the pharmacologic effects of other benzodiazepines has been reported . However, withdrawal symptoms have not been specifically reported for halazepam.[Ref]
1. Gagnon MA, Langlois Y, Boghen DR, Verdy M "Effects of halazepam and diazepam on the motor coordination of geriatric subjects." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 11 (1977): 443-8
2. Fann WE, Sullivan JL, 3d Miller RD "Halazepam in anxious outpatients: a controlled study." Curr Ther Res Clin Exp 16 (1974): 1281-6
3. Mendels J, Wasserman TW, Michals TJ, Fine EW "Halazepam in the management of acute alcohol withdrawal syndrome." J Clin Psychiatry 46 (1985): 172-4
4. Fann WE, Pitts WM, Wheless JC "Pharmacology, efficacy, and adverse effects of halazepam, a new benzodiazepine." Pharmacotherapy 2 (1982): 72-9
5. Aden GC, O'Hair DE "Effectiveness of bedtime dosing of benzodiazepines: a placebo- controlled comparison of halazepam and clorazepate." Clin Ther 3 (1980): 209-18
6. Pierce MW, Shu VS, Groves LJ "Safety of estazolam. The United States clinical experience." Am J Med 88 (1990): s12-7
7. "Product Information. ProSom (estazolam)." Abbott Pharmaceutical, Abbott Park, IL.
8. Skatrud JB, Badr S, Begle RL, Juan D "Ventilatory response to single, high dose estazolam in healthy humans." J Clin Pharmacol 30 (1990): 543-8
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.