Flunisolide nasal Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to flunisolide nasal: nasal solution
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Nose irritation.
- Bad nosebleeds.
- Nose sores.
- Whistling sound when you breathe.
- Redness or white patches in mouth or throat.
- Fever or chills.
- Sore throat.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to flunisolide nasal: nasal spray
Flunisolide has been generally well tolerated and, due to its route of administration, has not been inclined to produce the adverse effects generally associated with systemic corticosteroids. The most frequent complaints have been related to nasal mucus membrane irritation.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included nasal irritation, burning and stinging, congestion, epistaxis, sneezing, and rarely, nasal septal perforations. Temporary or permanent loss of the sense of smell and taste have occurred with both oral inhalation and intranasal formulations.[Ref]
Endocrine side effects have rarely included suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. The risk of adrenal suppression has been less than that associated with systemic corticosteroids and was generally only of concern when using higher than recommended dosages or in patients who may be particularly sensitive.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have included rare reports of rash.[Ref]
1. Pakes GE, Brogden RN, Heel RD, Speight TM, Avery GS "Flunisolide: a review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in rhinitis." Drugs 19 (1980): 397-411
2. "Product Information. Nasalide (flunisolide)." Syntex Laboratories Inc, Palo Alto, CA.
3. Turkeltaub PC, Norman PS, Johnson JD, Crepea S "Treatment of seasonal and perennial rhinitis with intranasal flunisolide." Allergy 37 (1982): 303-11
4. Clayton DE, Kooistra JB, Geller M, Ouellette J, Cohen M, Reed CE, Busse W "Short-term efficacy trial and twenty-four-month follow-up of flunisolide nasal spray in the treatment of perennial rhinitis." J Allergy Clin Immunol 67 (1981): 2-7
5. Meltzer EO, Orgel HA, Bush RK, Haltom JR, Metzger WJ, Moss BA, Mitchell DQ, Ballas ZK, Seltzer JM, Shapiro GG, et al "Evaluation of symptom relief acceptability of two formulations of flunisolide nasal spray in patients with perennial allergic rhinitis." Ann Allergy 64 (1990): 536-40
6. Dickson DJ, Cruickshank JM "Comparison of flunisolide nasal spray and terfenadine tablets in hay fever." Br J Clin Pract 38 (1984): 416-20
7. Pipkorn U, Geterud A "A comparative trial testing budesonide and flunisolide nasal sprays in patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis." Ann Allergy 52 (1984): 183-6
8. Greenbaum J, Leznoff A, Schulz J, Mazza J, Tobe A, Miller D "Comparative tolerability of two formulations of Rhinalar (flunisolide) nasal spray in patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis." Ann Allergy 61 (1988): 305-10
9. Sorkin S, Warren D "Probable adrenal suppression from intranasal beclomethasone." J Fam Pract 22 (1986): 449-50
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about flunisolide nasal
- Flunisolide nasal Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: nasal steroids