Butalbital Side Effects
Applies to butalbital: compounding powder
Nervous system side effects including drowsiness, lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, and an intoxicated feeling have been reported frequently from the use of butalbital. Headache and seizures have been reported infrequently. Mental confusion, excitement, or depression have also been reported due to either intolerance (primarily in elderly or debilitated patients) or due to an overdosage of butalbital.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects including nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain have been reported frequently with the use of butalbital.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects including dyspnea have been reported frequently with the use of butalbital.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Sedapap (acetaminophen-butalbital)" Merz Pharmaceuticals, Greensboro, NC.
2. "Product Information. Fiorinal (ASA/butalbital/caffeine)" Actavis (formerly Abrika Pharmaceuticals LLP), Sunrise, FL.
3. "Product Information. Fioricet with Codeine Capsules (APAP/butalbital/caffeine/codeine)" Novartis Pharmaceuticals, East Hanover, NJ.
4. "Product Information. Fiorinal with Codeine Capsules (ASA/butalbital/caffeine/codeine)" Novartis Pharmaceuticals, East Hanover, NJ.
5. "Product Information. Fioricet (APAP/butalbital/caffeine)." Novartis Pharmaceuticals, East Hanover, NJ.
6. "Product Information. Esgic-plus (APAP/butalbital/caffeine)" Forest Pharmaceuticals, St. Louis, MO.
Some side effects of butalbital may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about butalbital
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.