Anectine Side Effects
Generic Name: succinylcholine
Note: This document contains side effect information about succinylcholine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Anectine.
For the Consumer
Applies to succinylcholine: parenteral injection
Rhabdomyolysis with Hyperkalemia
- Risk of acute rhabdomyolysis with hyperkalemia followed by ventricular arrhythmias, cardiac arrest, and death in apparently healthy children and adolescents who subsequently were found to have undiagnosed skeletal muscle myopathy (e.g., Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy).100
- Use in children and adolescents should be reserved for those undergoing emergency intubation, those in whom an airway should be secured immediately (e.g., patients with laryngospasm, difficult airway, or full stomach), or those in whom a suitable vein is not accessible and IM administration is needed.100 (See Pediatric Use under Cautions.)
Side effects include:
Various degrees of skeletal muscle weakness.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to succinylcholine: compounding powder, injectable powder for injection, injectable solution, intravenous solution
Very common (10% or more): Muscle fasciculation, post-operative muscle pain
Common (1% to 10%): Myoglobinemia, myoglobinuria
Rare (less than 0.1%): Trismus
Common (1% to 10%): Increased intraocular pressure[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Hyperkalemia[Ref]
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Bronchospasm, prolonged respiratory depression, apnea
Frequency not reported: Renal failure[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Arrhythmias (including ventricular arrhythmia), cardiac arrest, hyperkalemia-related cardiac arrest (following administration to patients with congenital cerebral palsy, tetanus, Duchenne muscular dystrophy, and closed head injury)
Frequency not reported: Circulatory collapse, shock[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Rash[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Increased intragastric pressure, excessive salivation
Frequency not reported: Increased bowel movements, increased gastric secretions[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
2. "Product Information. Anectine (succinylcholine)." Glaxo Wellcome, Research Triangle Park, NC.
3. "Product Information. Quelicin Chloride (succinylcholine)." Abbott Pharmaceutical, Abbott Park, IL.
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Anectine (succinylcholine)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 1 Review
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: neuromuscular blocking agents
- FDA Alerts (4)
Other brands: Quelicin