The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Nystatin / Triamcinolone Acetonide
Pronunciation: nye-STAT-in/TRY-am-SIN-oh-lone ah-SEE-toe-nide
Class: Corticosteroid, Antifungal combination
- Cream 100,000 units/g nystatin, 0.1% triamcinolone
- Ointment 100,000 units/g nystatin, 0.1% triamcinolone
The antifungal binds to fungal cell membrane, changing membrane permeability and allowing leakage of intracellular components; the corticosteroid adds anti-inflammatory, antipruritic, and vasoconstrictive action.
Indications and Usage
Dosage and AdministrationAdults and Children
Topical Apply as a thin film to affected area(s) twice daily.
- For topical use only. Not for ophthalmic or otic use.
Store at controlled room temperature (59° to 86°F).
None well documented.
Laboratory Test Interactions
None well documented.
Acneiform eruptions; burning; itching; irritation; dryness; folliculitis; hypertrichosis; hypopigmentation; perioral dermatitis; allergic contact dermatitis; maceration; secondary infection; skin atrophy; striae; miliaria.
Category C .
Greater risk of HPA axis suppression, Cushing syndrome, intracranial hypertension.
Risk of HPA axis suppression, Cushing syndrome, hyperglycemia, glycosuria
Conditions that augment cutaneous absorption include use of large body surface area, prolonged use, and occlusive dressings.
- Review prescribed dosing schedule with patient or caregiver.
- Remind patient or caregiver that medicine is not to be used in the eye or ear.
- Teach patient or caregiver proper technique for applying medicine: wash hands; apply thin film to affected area(s) using fingers or applicator. Wash hands after application.
- Caution patient or caregiver not to occlude treated skin area with bandage, cover, or wrap.
- Advise patient or caregiver to contact health care provider if local redness or swelling develops, or if skin lesions do not improve or worsen.
Copyright © 2009 Wolters Kluwer Health.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.