Bacitracin, Neomycin, and Polymyxin B (Topical)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 17, 2019.
(bas i TRAY sin, nee oh MYE sin, & pol i MIKS in bee)
- Neomycin, Bacitracin, and Polymyxin B
- Polymyxin B, Bacitracin, and Neomycin
- Triple Antibiotic
Excipient information presented when available (limited, particularly for generics); consult specific product labeling. [DSC] = Discontinued product
Curad Triple Antibiotic: Bacitracin 400 units, neomycin 3.5 mg, and polymyxin B 5000 units per g (1 ea)
Medi-First Triple Antibiotic: Bacitracin 400 units, neomycin 3.5 mg, and polymyxin B 5000 units per g (1 ea)
Neosporin Original: Bacitracin 400 units, neomycin 3.5 mg, and polymyxin B 5000 units per g (1 ea, 14.2 g, 15 g [DSC], 28.3 g)
Triple Antibiotic: Bacitracin 400 units, neomycin 3.5 mg, and polymyxin B 5000 units per g (1 ea, 1 g, 9.4 g, 14 g, 14.2 g, 15 g, 28 g, 28.4 g, 30 g, 453.9 g)
Triple Antibiotic First Aid: Bacitracin 400 units, neomycin 3.5 mg, and polymyxin B 5000 units per g (1 ea)
Generic: Bacitracin 400 units, neomycin 3.5 mg, and polymyxin B 5000 units per g (1 ea [DSC], 14.17 g [DSC], 28.35 g [DSC])
Brand Names: U.S.
- Curad Triple Antibiotic [OTC]
- Medi-First Triple Antibiotic [OTC]
- Neosporin Original [OTC]
- Triple Antibiotic First Aid [OTC]
- Triple Antibiotic [OTC]
- Antibiotic, Topical
See individual agents.
Use: Labeled Indications
Topical infection prevention: Prevention of infection in minor cuts
Hypersensitivity to neomycin, polymyxin B, zinc bacitracin, or any component of the formulation; mycobacterial or fungal infections; topical ointments for external use only
Topical infection prevention: Topical: Apply 1 to 3 times/day to infected area; may cover with sterile bandage if necessary.
Refer to adult dosing.
Prevention of infection: Infants, Children, and Adolescents: Topical: Apply to affected area 1 to 3 times daily
There are no known significant interactions.
Frequency not defined.
Dermatologic: Reddening, allergic contact dermatitis
Local: Itching, failure to heal, swelling, irritation
Dosage form specific issues:
• Topical ointment: When used for self-medication (OTC use), patients should notify healthcare provider if needed for >1 week. Should not be used for self-medication on deep or puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns. Not for application to large areas of the body.
Pregnancy Risk Factor
Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with this combination.
• Discuss specific use of drug and side effects with patient as it relates to treatment. (HCAHPS: During this hospital stay, were you given any medicine that you had not taken before? Before giving you any new medicine, how often did hospital staff tell you what the medicine was for? How often did hospital staff describe possible side effects in a way you could understand?)
• Patient may experience redness or itching. Have patient report immediately to prescriber edema or severe skin irritation (HCAHPS).
• Educate patient about signs of a significant reaction (eg, wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat). Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. Patient should consult prescriber for additional questions.
Intended Use and Disclaimer: Should not be printed and given to patients. This information is intended to serve as a concise initial reference for health care professionals to use when discussing medications with a patient. You must ultimately rely on your own discretion, experience, and judgment in diagnosing, treating, and advising patients.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about bacitracin / neomycin / polymyxin b topical
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews
- Drug class: topical antibiotics
- Bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B topical
- Bacitracin, Neomycin, and Polymyxin B (Topical)
- Neomycin, polymyxin b, and bacitracin Topical (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Triple Antibiotic