Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength
Generic Name: chondroitin and glucosamine (kon DROI tin and gloo KOE sa meen)
Brand Name: Chondroitin-Glucosamine, Cidaflex, Cosamin DS, Glucoten, OptiFlex Complete, Osteo Bi-Flex, Pryflex, Relamine, Schiff Move Free
What is Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength (chondroitin and glucosamine)?
Chondroitin is a naturally occurring substance formed of sugar chains. Chondroitin is believed to help the body maintain fluid and flexibility in the joints.
Glucosamine is sugar protein that helps your body build cartilage (the hard connective tissue located mainly on the bones near your joints). Glucosamine is a naturally occurring substance found in bones, bone marrow, shellfish and fungus.
Chondroitin and glucosamine is a combination product that has been used in alternative medicine as a possibly effective aid in treating osteoarthritis pain.
Other uses not proven with research have included treating rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, cataracts, glaucoma, bladder problems, heart disease, high cholesterol, or TMJ (temporomandibular joint disease).
It is not certain whether chondroitin and glucosamine is effective in treating any medical condition. Medicinal use of this product has not been approved by the FDA. Chondroitin and glucosamine should not be used in place of medication prescribed for you by your doctor.
Chondroitin and glucosamine is often sold as an herbal supplement. There are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for many herbal compounds and some marketed supplements have been found to be contaminated with toxic metals or other drugs. Herbal/health supplements should be purchased from a reliable source to minimize the risk of contamination.
Chondroitin and glucosamine may also be used for purposes not listed in this product guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength (chondroitin and glucosamine)?
Follow all directions on the product label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength (chondroitin and glucosamine)?
You should not use this product if you are allergic to chondroitin and glucosamine; or
if you take warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven).
Ask a doctor, pharmacist, or other healthcare provider if it is safe for you to use this product if you have:
an allergy to shellfish (oyster, crab, shrimp);
high blood pressure, high cholesterol;
prostate cancer; or
bleeding or blood clotting disorder such as hemophilia.
It is not known whether chondroitin and glucosamine will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this product without medical advice if you are pregnant.
Chondroitin and glucosamine may pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this product without medical advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not give any herbal/health supplement to a child without medical advice.
How should I take Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength (chondroitin and glucosamine)?
When considering the use of herbal supplements, seek the advice of your doctor. You may also consider consulting a practitioner who is trained in the use of herbal/health supplements.
If you choose to use chondroitin and glucosamine, use it as directed on the package or as directed by your doctor, pharmacist, or other healthcare provider. Do not use more of this product than is recommended on the label.
Do not use different formulations of chondroitin and glucosamine at the same time without medical advice. Using different formulations together increases the risk of an overdose of chondroitin and glucosamine.
If you need surgery or dental work, stop taking chondroitin and glucosamine at least 2 weeks ahead of time.
Call your doctor if the condition you are treating with chondroitin and glucosamine does not improve, or if it gets worse while using this product.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not use extra chondroitin and glucosamine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength (chondroitin and glucosamine)?
Follow your healthcare provider's instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity.
Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength (chondroitin and glucosamine) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Although not all side effects are known, chondroitin and glucosamine is thought to be possibly safe when taken for up to 2 years.
Stop using chondroitin and glucosamine and call your healthcare provider at once if you have:
irregular heartbeats; or
swelling in your legs.
Common side effects may include:
nausea, diarrhea, constipation;
stomach pain, gas, bloating;
hair loss; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength (chondroitin and glucosamine)?
Do not take chondroitin and glucosamine without medical advice if you are using any of the following medications:
cancer medicine (chemotherapy).
This list is not complete. Other drugs may interact with chondroitin and glucosamine, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible interactions are listed in this product guide.
More about Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength (chondroitin / glucosamine)
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: nutraceutical products
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Consult with a licensed healthcare professional before using any herbal/health supplement. Whether you are treated by a medical doctor or a practitioner trained in the use of natural medicines/supplements, make sure all your healthcare providers know about all of your medical conditions and treatments.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.01. Revision Date: 2015-01-23, 4:26:52 PM.