Can you overdose on Nyquil?
Yes, you can overdose on Nyquil if you take more than recommended, give a child more than is recommended, or you give Nyquil to a child who is under the age of 6 years.
Nyquil contains acetaminophen (relieves pain and fever), doxylamine (an antihistamine that will dry up nasal secretions but can cause drowsiness), and dextromethorphan (to stop you from coughing).
There are a lot of different formulations of Nyquil so you must check the product label or ask your pharmacist if you are unsure what the correct dosage of Nyquil is. Always carefully measure the dose using a special measuring device/spoon. Do not use a household spoon because you may not get the correct dose. Ask your pharmacist for a measuring spoon.
The usual recommended dosage of Nyquil liquid is:
- Children aged less than 6 years: Not recommended, do not give Nyquil to a child under 6 years
- Children aged 6 to 11 years: 15mL every 6 hours if needed.
- Teenagers aged 12 years or older: 30mL every 6 hours if needed
- Adults: 30 mL every 6 hours if needed.
Do not give Nyquil more often than every 6 hours and do not give more than 4 doses per day.
For NyQuil liquid caps the dosage is:
- Teenagers aged 12 years or older: 2 capsules every 6 hours if needed
- Adults: 2 capsules every 6 hours if needed.
Do not give Nyquil liquid caps more often than every 6 hours and do not give more than 4 doses per day.
What are the symptoms of overdose with Nyquil?
Because Nyquil contains 3 ingredients, acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, and doxylamine, taking more than recommended can exceed the recommended daily dose for any one of those ingredients.
Symptoms of Nyquil overdose may include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Dilated pupils or blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Have difficulty passing urine or not passing as much urine as usual for you
- Excessive tiredness or sleepiness
- Liver problems such as dark urine, feeling tired, poor appetite, abdominal (stomach) pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes
- Severe dizziness
- Severe anxiety
A large Nyquil overdose may be potentially fatal.
- Vicks Products. Online. Frequently asked questions (FAQs). Accessed Feb. 24, 2022 at https://vicks.com/en-us/safety-and-faqs/faqs/vicks-nyquil-faq
- Vicks NyQuil Products. Online. Accessed Feb. 24, 2022 at https://vicks.com/en-us/shop-products/nyquil
Related medical questions
- Which breathing techniques help with COVID-19?
- What is Rosel used for?
- What are the side effects of the flu vaccine?
- COVID-19 vaccines and variants: What you should know
- Should I wear a face mask to protect myself from COVID-19?
- How long is the flu contagious for?
- How long does the flu last for?
- Can Ivermectin be used to treat COVID-19?
- Can you take Ibuprofen if you have COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- What antibiotics kill Covid-19 (coronavirus)?
- What's the difference between Bacteria and Viruses?