Can you take expired NyQuil?
Does NyQuil expire?
NyQuil does expire and you should not use it past its expiration date printed on the label. The ingredients may have degraded and it may not be safe or effective. Many factors can affect the stability of a medicine, including heat, humidity, light, presence of preservatives, and other factors.
Even though a product may contain a preservative, the expiration date is the final day that the manufacturer guarantees the full potency and safety of a medication.
For example, NyQuil Cold and Flu Nighttime Relief Liquid contains three active ingredients that could expire:
- acetaminophen (a pain and fever reducer)
- dextromethorphan (a cough suppressant)
- doxylamine (a sedating antihistamine)
Some NyQuil products may also contain 10% alcohol which can evaporate over time. Alcohol is present in NyQuil to help dissolve the active ingredients.
Is it safe to take expired NyQuil?
There is no way to know if expired NyQuil will be safe or effective for you to take past the expiration date. This is due to a variety of factors that can affect drug stability like heat, humidity, or light. Purchase a new bottle of NyQuil if your current bottle is past its expiration date.
If your NyQuil looks cloudy, discolored (from the original color), contains any floating particles, or has an unusual odor do not use the product. In addition, some NyQuil Liquid products may undergo evaporation of the alcohol solvent.
- Vicks. FAQs, NyQuil. Proctor and Gamble 2022. Accessed Feb. 10, 2022 at https://vicks.com/en-us/safety-and-faqs/faqs/vicks-nyquil-faq
- Drug Expiration Dates - Are Expired Drugs Still Safe to Take? Drugs.com. Accessed Feb. 14, 2022 at https://www.drugs.com/article/drug-expiration-dates.html
Related medical questions
- Which breathing techniques help with COVID-19?
- What is Rosel used for?
- What are the side effects of the flu vaccine?
- COVID-19 vaccines and variants: What you should know
- How long is the flu contagious for?
- Should I wear a face mask to protect myself from COVID-19?
- How long does the flu last for?
- Can Ivermectin be used to treat COVID-19?
- Can you take Ibuprofen if you have COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- What antibiotics kill Covid-19 (coronavirus)?
- What's the difference between Bacteria and Viruses?