Does NyQuil have alcohol in it?
Yes, NyQuil Cold and Flu Nighttime Relief Liquid contains 10% alcohol. Alcohol is present in the medicine to help dissolve the active ingredients. An alcohol-free version of this medicine is also available.
There are many NyQuil brand products available at the pharmacy. Not all Vicks NyQuil products contain alcohol, so check the label if you need to avoid alcohol. Speak to your pharmacist to determine which product may be best for you or your child. Follow the directions on the package labeling before use.
Related: Compare NyQuil Products
Which NyQuil products contain alcohol?
Examples of Nyquil products that DO contain alcohol include:
- NyQuil Cold & Flu Nighttime Relief Liquid, Original Flavor
- NyQuil VapoCool Severe Cold & Flu Liquid + Congestion
- NyQuil HBP (High Blood Pressure) Cold and Flu Medicine
Alcohol (ethanol) is considered an inactive ingredient in NyQuil. Ethanol is another name for alcohol, a common type of alcohol used in medicine.
Which NyQuil products do not have alcohol?
Examples of Vicks NyQuil products that DO NOT contain alcohol include:
- Alcohol-Free NyQuil Cold & Flu Nighttime Relief Liquid
- NyQuil Severe Cold & Flu LiquiCaps
- NyQuil Severe Cold & Flu Relief Liquid, Berry Flavored
- NyQuil Kids Honey Cough and Cold (for ages 6 and over)
- NyQuil Cough DM and Congestion Medicine
What does NyQuil do?
NyQuil is an over-the-counter (OTC) medicine that treats nighttime symptoms of the common cold and flu. These symptoms include: sneezing, sore throat, headache, minor aches and pains, fever, runny nose, and cough.
NyQuil can cause you to feel very sleepy or drowsy. Be careful when driving or operating machinery. Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages while you are using NyQuil. Alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers can increase drowsiness when used with NyQuil. Check with your doctor or pharmacist first before using NyQuil with these products.
In children, NyQuil may cause excitability.
NyQuil Cold and Flu Nighttime Relief Liquid has three active ingredients:
- acetaminophen (a pain and fever reducer)
- dextromethorphan (a cough suppressant)
- doxylamine (a sedating antihistamine)
Some NyQuil products, for example, NyQuil Severe, also contain phenylephrine, a decongestant.
This is not all the information you need to know about NyQuil for safe and effective use and does not take the place of the directions on the label. Review the full product information, and discuss any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Vicks. FAQs, NyQuil. Proctor and Gamble 2022. Accessed Feb. 10, 2022 at https://vicks.com/en-us/safety-and-faqs/faqs/vicks-nyquil-faq
Related medical questions
- How long does Nyquil last?
- Which breathing techniques help with COVID-19?
- What is Rosel used for?
- What are the side effects of the flu vaccine?
- How long is the flu contagious for?
- COVID-19 vaccines and variants: What you should know
- Should I wear a face mask to protect myself from COVID-19?
- How long does the flu last for?
- Can Ivermectin be used to treat COVID-19?
- Can you take Ibuprofen if you have COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- What antibiotics kill Covid-19 (coronavirus)?