How often should I use Clodan?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on Nov 30, 2020.
Clodan (clobetasol propionate) Shampoo, 0.05% is applied onto a dry scalp once a day as a thin film. Apply only to the scalp area that is to be treated. Leave the film in place for 15 minutes before lathering and rinsing. Use only in adults 18 years and older.
Do not use Clodan Shampoo on your face, groin, or underarms and avoid contact with your eyes or on your lips. Rinse thoroughly with water if contact occurs.
How long should I use Clodan?
Treatment with Clodan Shampoo should be limited to 4 consecutive weeks or sooner if the condition is controlled. Follow your doctor’s directions on length of treatment. The total dosage should not exceed 50 mL (1.75 fluid ounces) per week.
Clodan Shampoo is a super-high potent topical corticosteroid used only on the scalp for psoriasis. It is used to treat moderate-to-severe forms of scalp psoriasis in people 18 years of age and older.
Do not use in patients younger than 18 years of age due to the possibility of topical absorption resulting in hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis suppression. HPA axis suppression can lead to side effects such as high blood sugar, unmasking of diabetes, and Cushing's syndrome.
How do I apply Clodan?
- Do not wet your hair before using Clodan Shampoo. To apply Clodan Shampoo, first move your hair away from the affected area on the scalp.
- Apply a small amount of shampoo directly onto the scalp lesion. Do not let the shampoo come into contact with the skin on your face, your eyes or your lips. In case of contact, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Spread the product so that the entire lesion is covered with a thin uniform film. Massage Clodan Shampoo gently into the lesion and repeat for other scalp lesions if needed. If the shampoo gets in another area on your scalp, rinse well with water.
- Leave Clodan Shampoo on your scalp for 15 minutes before lathering and rinsing. No other shampoo is needed, but you may wash your hair with a non-medicated shampoo after using Clodan Shampoo.
- Clodan Shampoo should be used on the scalp only. It is not to be used on the face, groin or axillae (armpits). Do not get Clodan Shampoo near or in your eyes, mouth or vagina. In case of contact, rinse thoroughly with water all parts of the body that came in contact with the shampoo.
- You should not bandage or cover your head with a shower cap, bathing cap, or a towel, while Clodan Shampoo is on your scalp, unless your doctor tells you to.
- Wash your hands after applying Clodan Shampoo.
- Clodan (clobetasol propionate) Shampoo, 0.05% is applied onto a dry scalp once a day as a thin film. Use only in adults 18 years and older. Do not apply to a wet scalp and only apply to the area being treated.
- Leave the film in place for 15 minutes before lathering and rinsing.
- If the shampoo gets in another area on your scalp, rinse well with water. It is for use only on the scalp.
- Treatment with Clodan Shampoo should be limited to 4 consecutive weeks or sooner. Follow your doctor’s directions for length of treatment.
This is not all the information you need to know about Clodan (clobetasol propionate 0.05%) Shampoo for safe and effective use. Review the full Clodan Shampoo information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Clodan (clobetasol propionate shampoo 0.05%). Medimetriks Pharmaceuticals. Fairfield, NJ. https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm
Related Medical Questions
- How long does it take for methotrexate to work?
- Can halobetasol be used for poison ivy?
- What is a substitute for fluocinonide cream?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- Halobetasol vs. clobetasol - how do they compare?
- How long does methotrexate stay in your system?
- Is fluocinonide an antifungal cream?