What is Arveles used for?
Arveles (dexketoprofen) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that’s available in Europe, Asia and Latin America. Dexketoprofen is an enantiomer (mirror image) of the drug ketoprofen, which is available by prescription in the United States.
Arveles is used to treat pain, fever and inflammation. It comes in a 25 mg tablet. Common dosages are:
- ½ tablet every 4 to 6 hours
- 1 tablet every 8 hours
Arveles should be taken on an empty stomach (about 30 minutes before eating). It’s meant to be used short-term. Side effects may include:
Arveles also comes in an injectable form. The recommended adult dosage is 50 mg every 8 to 12 hours, with a maximum daily dose of 150 mg.
While dexketoprofen is not available in the U.S., ketoprofen is. It comes in three strengths:
- 25 mg
- 50 mg
- 75 mg
The typical dosage of ketoprofen for arthritis is 75 mg three times daily or 50 mg four times daily. The typical dosage of ketoprofen for mild to moderate pain and dysmenorrhea is 25 mg to 50 mg every 6 to 8 hours as needed. The maximum total daily dose is 300 mg.
Ketoprofen carries boxed warnings about the risk of cardiovascular and gastrointestinal problems. Ketoprofen can increase the risk of:
- Heart attack
- Bleeding, ulceration and perforation of the stomach and small intestines
Ketoprofen may cause side effects similar to dexketoprofen.
- Drugbank online. Dexketoprofen. October 21, 2015. Available at: https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB09214. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Pill in trip. Arveles. Available at: https://pillintrip.com/style/images/medicines/arveles/arveles1.jpeg. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Patient. Dexketoprofen for pain. Available at: https://patient.info/medicine/dexketoprofen-for-pain-keral. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Practo. Dexketoprofen. 2017. Available at: https://www.practo.com/medicine-info/dexketoprofen-1075-api. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Ndrugs.com. Arveles dosage. Available at: https://www.ndrugs.com/?s=arveles&t=dosage. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- U.S. National Library of Medicine DailyMed. Ketoprofen capsule. January 12, 2022. Available at: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/getFile.cfm?setid=53f6cbfe-b140-4314-8113-67f6c68e9c6e&type=pdf. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Drugs.com. Ketoprofen. March 11, 2021. Available at: https://www.drugs.com/mtm/ketoprofen.html. [Accessed March 28, 2022].
Related medical questions
- Meloxicam vs Ibuprofen, what's the difference?
- Aleve vs Ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- Naproxen vs ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- Does gabapentin help treat nerve pain?
- What's the difference between aspirin and ibuprofen?
- Can you take ibuprofen on an empty stomach?
- Can you take expired ibuprofen?
- What is low dose naltrexone (LDN)?
- Should I take meloxicam at night or in the morning?
- Acetaminophen vs Ibuprofen: Which is better?
- Can you drink alcohol with ibuprofen?
Related support groups
- Pain (2,201 questions, 11,824 members)