How long does Genvoya stay in your system?
To eliminate the active antiviral agents in Genvoya (elvitegravir, emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide) from your system takes up to 70.95 hours.
Genvoya is a fixed-dose combination tablet used to treat human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 infection. It contains four different drugs: cobicistat, elvitegravir, emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide.
Elvitegravir, emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide are antiviral drugs, while cobicistat is included to increase blood levels of elvitegravir. Genvoya is taken once per day with food.
To work out how long a drug stays in your system researchers measure its half-life. This is the time it takes to eliminate half of the dose of a drug from your system. It is generally accepted that it takes 5.5 half-lives for a drug to be removed enough from the body that it is thought to have no clinical effect.
The half-life of the three antiviral medications in Genvoya are list in the table below.
|Drug name||Elvitegravir||Emtricitabine||Tenofovir alafenamide|
|Half-life (t1/2)||12.9 hrs||10 hrs||0.51*hrs|
|5.5 half-lives||70.95 hrs||55 hrs||2.81 hrs|
*Tenofovir alafenamide is converted in the body to another active metabolite called tenofovir diphosphate, which has a half life of 150-180 hours in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs).
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Genvoya. March 2021. [Accessed August 20, 2021]. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/207561s025lbl.pdf.
- Hallare J, Gerriets V. Half Life. [Updated 2020 Oct 6]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554498/.
Related medical questions
- What is Genvoya used to treat?
- Does Genvoya make you gain weight?
- Why do you take Genvoya with food?
- Triumeq vs Genvoya. How do they compare?
- Does Genvoya cause erectile dysfunction?
- Can I drink alcohol with Genvoya?
- Does Genvoya cause hair loss?
- Is Genvoya used for PrEP?
- Genvoya vs Stribild for HIV - How do they compare?
- Is Genvoya better than Stribild?
- How do you increase your CD4 count?
- Genvoya Information for Consumers
- Genvoya Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Genvoya (detailed)