User Reviews for Genvoya

HIV Infection
7.7

Summary of Genvoya reviews 7.7 87 reviews

Reviews for Genvoya

For HIV Infection "Genvoya has been great; have been on it over a year and switched to it from Stribild (which also worked great). I have been undetectable since 2012 and these two drugs are responsible. I take it each day around lunchtime. I have not experienced any side effects except for loose stool (sorry but true :)). Hope that helps."

RL September 7, 2018

For HIV Infection "After relocating to another state and having to switch Dr’s I was put on Genvoya. I took Atripla for 8 years with minimal usual issues (dreams, loose stools on occasion). Cd4 over 1200 and undetectable for 7 1/2 years. The first 6 months on Genvoya seemed great. Then it hit me. I felt like I had to pee every 15 minutes. I thought I had a urinary tract infection. Then I started having stomach pains all over various parts of my abdomen. My testicles would often hurt. Not to mention the severe gas (my poor partner). My arms and legs would get numb. I honestly felt like a was a ticking bomb. My lab results were great and revealed nothing bad going on with my kidneys or liver but I felt really crappy. My doctor switched me now to Biktarvy. After only 3 days off of Genvoya and things seem to be returning to normal. I hope these lingering side effects will go away entirely. Retired at 56 and wanting to enjoy life."

Hopeful (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2018

For HIV Infection "I'm very inconsistent when taking medication. My CD4 count was almost under 200, so I decided to take it more serious. My first medicine was Stribild. I loved that medicine, but, I ended up in the hospital for a week due to liver failure. I refused to take the medicine after that. So, my doctor prescribed Genvoya. I have no side effects like the rest on here BUTTTT...I've gained over 60 pounds! I went from 142 to 219 and growing. I had to buy new clothes a few months ago, and, now my pants are too tight again! I work in a professional setting and must wear suits. I can't afford to keep buying new clothes. It's very inconvenient. I'm going to the doctor on the 20th to see if they can switch my medicine. My diet and eating habit has always been the same, so, I don't know why I'm gaining weight uncontrollably. It's making me very insecure."

Kamari (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2018

For HIV Infection "Since taking the genvoya my legs are weaker and I can not walk or stand and have gotten dry eyes and sinuses problems, also blurry vision, and lumps in my legs. Doctors don't care to listen. They say it is works because my cd4 is 708 and my viral load is below 20. So I think the medication harms more parts in my body then stridilb did. Genvoya is not a good HIV medication"

Tanky (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2018

For HIV Infection "I shared some feedback about Genvoya about 1mo ago (under the same name - Dragon), and wanted to share more. After just 8wks on this drug my VL is 70 (from 33000) and my CD4 is 760 (from 510). I am so happy! My treatment nurse was all smiles delivering these results. I've had a Hep B and HPV innoculation today, too. We're monitoring my BP as from a regular norm of 140/95, today it was 101/90. This is good, but we're obviously aware of potential interactions, even though none are cited for my hypertension meds."

Dragon (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

For HIV Infection "Diagnosed positive on April 2018. (CD4 Cells:280) Started Genyova on mid-June 2018 and today I got my first blood test results. CD4 cells have gone up to 377 from 280 just in 20 days! CD4/CD8 ratio fall to %57 from %63. it seems like its working for me. As for the early side effects, I had a few. Severe sleeping problems in the first 2 weeks but it's getting better every week. I'm a heavy coffee drinker. I'm suspicious that Cobicistat might interact with caffeine as well. it's really easier to fall asleep on the days I consume less coffee. I also felt really tired in the first 2 weeks, plus muscle and joint aches. after first 4 weeks I feel better, no muscle pains. I don't have any clues for long term side effects but for now, I say Genvoya is effective and working."

Fabian (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2018

For HIV Infection "Hi everyone, wow awkward as this is, I’ve never shared my life story before. Back in 2016 I was diagnosed HIV + and for the first year I was dreading sleep, I didn’t want to die in my sleep. I first was on Stribild, and it wasn’t working enough. So then the doctors put me on Genvoya a year later now that Stribild is too expensive for my insurance to cover. Stribild would make me hurt constantly. Now, being on Genvoya I’m healthy though I was having diarrhea most nights. So I decided to go another route that is not FDA approved. I have added in Limu which is a seaweed.. My doctors have now ran tests and since then all my vitals are back to normal, my HIV is undetectable to where they can’t find any trace of my virus and my health is amazing. I’m no longer feeling pain, my headaches are gone. My CD4 count is extremely high. Now they say I may end up living to be a 100. Though I do stay on Genvoya for now. Let’s see what my future may bring."

Casper (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018

For HIV Infection "I was diagnosed within approx. 3-4 weeks after infection, and the doctor prescribed Genvoya immediately after the results came back. I had been horribly sick for almost 10 days or more. Within a 2-3 days, I was feeling much, much better, and within a week or two, I felt completely healthy. I'm blessed in that I only had one or two issues with an upset stomach. Now, as long as I take it very regularly and with food, I've not experienced any side effects. I will be going in for six month tests within the next few weeks. I'm a bit worried about cholesterol as while it had been high, I managed to reduce it by a lot prior to taking Genvoya. In fact, here is a tip. I lost weight by going on Nutrisystem for 3-4 months (lost almost 30 lbs). Also, each morning, I mix some greens (spinach, kale mostly) with some fresh or frozen fruit and a scoop of protein powder. I also eat a lot more greens throughout the week, and I feel this has really helped bring down my cholesterol."

Guiseppe (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

For HIV Infection "I found out I was diagnosed with HIV last week. My C count was 770 in my viral load was 970000. I’ve had horrible diarrhea and nausea, I am weak so hoping it’ll pass. I’m having trouble sleeping and I feel really uncomfortable with no appetite. Does it get better is my question? I do dream but they’re not horrible dreams. It’s three in the morning now and all I can do is sit on the toilet as my food turns into liquid. Please somebody with experience Help me..."

Anthony (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2018

For HIV Infection "I loved Atripla, but my boyfriend brought to my attention all of its long-term effects, so my doctor switched me to Genvoya. Except for the dreams, I had no immediate Atripla side effects, but with Genvoya, I can't say the same. I've been on it for about nine months. My arms, legs, hands, and feet go numb. My weight gain has been rapid and ridiculous. I urinate constantly but hardly defecate. My joints ache. I have awful headaches. I constantly feel full and bloated. The kidney discomfort is unreal. My muscles sometimes ache, too. I even have testicular pain. When I soon see My doctor, I'll request a new regimen. For the first time in fourteen incredibly healthy years, I'm considering going off meds altogether. I hate Genvoya."

Mike (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2018

For HIV Infection "I was diagnosed HIV positive in April of this year. After lengthy discussions with my treatment nurse we mutually decided to start treatment as my labs were 'good' - VL 33000 & CD4 510; meaning this was caught early. I've been on Genvoya for 1 month so far and all is good. I already suffer high cholesterol so take G in the morning to prevent interaction with atorvastatin taken at night. Suffering just 1 day of extreme nausea, I think this was down to not eating with the tablet as per advice. I was rushing as late for work. I'm keeping an eye on tiredness as often feel like a short nap around lunch time. This is unusual for me. My BP (blood pressure) and DM2 (Diabetes mellitus type 2) remain stable. I just had my bloods taken a few hours ago and have to wait 2 weeks for first results whilst on this regimen. My adherence is also 100% so generally hopeful."

Dragon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

For HIV Infection "I have never taken any meds fir HIV - being young and dumb and believing it would just go away. I found out I was HIV positive in 2016 and felt great so didn't do anything about it. Now to date, in the last 4 months my health has gone down hill so fast. My cd4 is 86 and I'm in and out of hospital. I have a Dr now and was put on genvoya and took 2 doses and had to be taken to hospital. My skin felt like I was burning from the inside out, and lots more side effects. It's been 2 weeks since this happened and I won't see my Dr for another 2 weeks so I feel like I'm dying a little each day. I want to get better now. I take this seriously now, and I just wish it didn't take so long to get started on a new med to see if a new one would work for me and if not keep trying different ones till one does work for me. My mom is researching, calling and learning all she can about living with AIDS she had her hopes up on genvoya working for me. I just pray it's not to late."

Nic (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

For HIV Infection "Okay so I just switched from taking genvoya which I think it was giving me crazy dreams daily so my doctor gave me biktarvy new drug that just came out in February 2018 I just started talking for the past 3 days threw up a few times had upset stomach probably my body adjusting to new meds I'll keep everyone posted stay healthy God bless"

Ajhb May 18, 2018

For HIV Infection "5/7/18 Here is my updated with taking genvoya. My main complaint is that it gives me chronic nightmares every time I sleep - whether it's during the day or at night. I think the reason is it's affecting my nervous system which is getting me very jittery before I go to sleep. It feels like I'm having 10 cups of coffee it is that wired jittery type of feeling. I could feel my nerves going crazy. So I'm going to talk to my doctor and have me switch off to something else even if it's temporary to see if these side effects go away. This has been happening for about 8 months I thought it would go away but it's not. Even though my body is responding very well to genvoya and keeping me undetectable and my CD4 count has been in the 850s I just can't take the crazy dreams waking me up in the middle of the night. Time to try something else."

Ajhb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2018

For HIV Infection "With TAF it's a vast improvement over Stribild with TDF. But after 1 1/2 years I'm tired of it making me tired. I'm getting brain, liver, joint, and liver inflammation. This disease sucks."

None (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2018

For HIV Infection "Tested positive 6/1/16, started with Stribild 7/8/16 and then moved over to Genvoya 13 months ago. VL was 56k and CD4 just 154. Genvoya works, it works very well, and the side effects for me do not exist. I did just have a miserable 2 weeks on Triumeq (I do have higher cholesterol now, never did until HIV meds). However, I could not handle the head rush, anxiousness, and fatigue on Triumeq. Never had any side effects with Stribild or Genvoya, and cannot wait to go to the pharmacy and get it back. Don't think there are no options if something is not working. We all have the right to feel great while on treatment. Not all choices are the same...tell your Doc when something is a miss. Lifelong treatment does not mean the experience has to be miserable!!! Always UD now."

PDX (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2018

For HIV Infection "I was diagnosed positive 2/15/05 viral load was as high as it could be (I think it was 16000 it 16 million I’m not sure ) T cells were below 500 - started with the usual two pill treatment and it worked great. In four month I was undetectable and tc climbed to 1000. Then because I was in the same treatment for 9 years - my doctor switched me to genvoya - gotta say I miss the wild dreams from taking Sustiva, but genvoya is great, I’m 51 now, undetectable for 13 years now and my T cells are between 1200 and 1300, my only issue is weight gain - I barely eat these days trying diet after diet but my belly is still big and I feel like I’m growing breasts, my doctor insist it not the genvoya, but I don’t know - I wasn’t this big before I started and I was very healthy and I cook every meal myself"

Jd (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2018

For HIV Infection "In 2010 was diagnosed with HIV so started Isentress and truvada. 2 weeks later was undetectable. Isentress at that time was 400mg twice daily with truvada once daily. Then Isentress changed formulation to once daily. Remained undetectable until last week. Changed to genvoya 6 months ago simply for 2 pill once a day...and now my viral load is 54 copies per ml. CD 4 is highest its ever been in 8yrs at 1386. I have had no side effects. I want to get back to less than 50 copies per no and being undetectable but with genvoya you must take it with food. For a while I was fairly inconsistent with this .....hopefully better news in 3-6 months"

Anonymous March 31, 2018

For HIV Infection "This is my 4th update since my HIV diagnosis. Now 20 months on Genvoya (my first and only HIV drug so far). CD4 count now 576, up from 326 back on 07/2016. An increase of 100 in the past 6 months alone. I am sorry to hear the previous poster did not respond well to Genvoya, but shame on him to allege others here are not telling the truth about our experiences. My experience with this drug has been very good. I do remember some very, very vivid dreams early on but they gradually subsided. I do worry that my white blood cell count has dropped well below normal levels. I don't know if that has anything to do with Genvoya or just one bad test result. My cholesterol has also raised a lot since starting Genvoya, but just above normal range. I take an Omega-3 supplement which has lowered my triglycerides well. Other than those things, I am still thrilled with my blood test results so far."

Richard (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2018

For HIV Infection "Just started with Genvoya, it was talked up as the best, been on it one month. I have have never had gout in my life but noweet are so swollen it's hard to walk."

Marco March 18, 2018

For HIV Infection "I've been taking this medicine for about a year I've noticed I ended up with neuropathy after 6 months. I know it's neuropathy. Throughout I was asking a lot of people and doctors and they're all getting the same results neuropathy and serious nightmares and other health problems. I just wish the people taking it and the company would tell the truth - it is not a miracle drug the end up with neuropathy severe dreams and other health problems probably won't even post this because it's all about the Mighty Dollar that's my opinion.."

Dan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2018

For HIV Infection "After continued use of Genvoya (approximately 6 months), I noticed an increase of abdominal fat from under my pecs to lower stomach giving like a barrel appearance. I think they call it HIV belly. It is noticeable and after I eat it gets worse. They are apparently making a new type of Genvoya removing the component that causes this bloating appearance. I changed to another two types of pills that do not contain the bloating elements but the problem now will still not go away."

JOhn Anderson February 5, 2018

For HIV Infection "I’ve been HIV positive for at least 15 years. Maybe 16. That’s when I found out about it. I started on combivir & sustiva. Worked really good. I’ve been off any meds for about 8 years due to financial issues or whatever. I just never got sick. My doctor said I was a genetic miracle. I even partied some. The past 6 months or so I could tell I might need to start treatment again. Well flu season hit and I got a little sick. So I immediately started Genvoya. As my doctor instructed me to. I almost immediately could tell it was working. I’ve been on it for a week and a half. I definitely feel better. Like I said almost instantly. In about another month I’ll have some lab work done and share my results. Godspeed to you guys."

Play boy (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2018

For HIV Infection "I'm "positive" since 1996. I know depression, I know regression; I know every step. Now I'm negative so this drug really helps!!! "

ShovAsaN (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2018

For HIV Infection "I was diagnosed with HIV one year ago and my viral load was in the thousands and my cd4 was at 253. After 4 months on genvoya I was undetectable and cd4 was 450. The genvoya made me healthy again and no side effects. I now have a future to look forward to because genvoya gave me a second chance at living a healthy life."

Rock7 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 15, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4

More about Genvoya (cobicistat / elvitegravir / emtricitabine / tenofovir alafenamide)

Professional resources